I need some opinions

Options
Okay so here’s the deal. I’m HUGE. Like I am the definition of morbidly obese. With that being said I have pretty decent mobility and endurance, and minimal pain for my weight. I take care of my disabled mother and it’s an incredibly physical job. A lot of lifting and pushing. I really need to get a part time job and I’m not having any luck getting a sit down gig, so I think I need to look towards retail. I’m just not sure if I will be able to stand 6+ hours a day. Do you think a good pair of boots would help? I know I’m going to be in some type of pain, but I’m just trying to minimize it as best I can. I also think working retail will help me lose weight. Has anyone been in this type of situation before?

Replies

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    You want opinions? I GOT LOTS OF THOSE! ;D

When I was on my feet a lot, a pair of compression socks really helped. Also, if there's any way you can help with stocking and such rather than being stuck at a cash register, that might help too. I find that walking around is a lot easier than standing still for ages.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Options
    My obese mother worked as a cashier for years. It didn't help her lose weight because she still didn't watch her calorie intake.
    I don't know if anything helped make it hurt less. Standing all day was hard on her. Maybe a job moving carts or stocking shelves would be better all around.

Get good shoes definitely.
    I was a security guard for awhile. There was a lot of walking and standing most days. I was not overweight at the time but good shoes were important if I didn't want to be in pain.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Okay so here’s the deal. I’m HUGE. Like I am the definition of morbidly obese. With that being said I have pretty decent mobility and endurance, and minimal pain for my weight. I take care of my disabled mother and it’s an incredibly physical job. A lot of lifting and pushing. I really need to get a part time job and I’m not having any luck getting a sit down gig, so I think I need to look towards retail. I’m just not sure if I will be able to stand 6+ hours a day. Do you think a good pair of boots would help? I know I’m going to be in some type of pain, but I’m just trying to minimize it as best I can. I also think working retail will help me lose weight. Has anyone been in this type of situation before?

I think you should focus on losing weight, not finding a job and hoping that that causes weight loss.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    I’ve worked in retail for 18 years. I have not lost and gained weight in that time. Why? Because your weight is dependent on your calorie intake. I can walk 15,000+ steps in a shift and still overeat if I don’t pay attention.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I prefer running shoes for when I have to be on my feet all day, New Balance is my favorite, but any brand with good support that fits you well will help. Assuming the company you work for is at all decent, you won't be on your feet for 6 hours straight, you will get breaks and lunch time and you can use this time to be nice to your body with yoga or walking or stretching that will help counter the negative impact of standing for hours.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    My retail experience was different from the other posters, I dropped about 20% my bodyweight in a year. I did not change my eating habits, but I probably would have been pretty sedentary those 8 hours as I was in school. It was probably 50% standing, 50% moving.

Good shoes helped, and for me - more than one pair. That way it changed up my standing walking stance a bit. I never wore the same shoes more than two days in a row.
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I’ve worked in retail for 18 years. I have not lost and gained weight in that time. Why? Because your weight is dependent on your calorie intake. I can walk 15,000+ steps in a shift and still overeat if I don’t pay attention.

I’m aware of that. I just figured getting a job instead of moping around the house contemplating how *kitten* my life is and eating myself to death would keep me busy and my mind occupied.

• bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    Options

I think you should focus on losing weight, not finding a job and hoping that that causes weight loss.

I guess I should’ve elaborated and I also retract what I said in my initial post. I think ANY kind of job will help me lose weight, because when I’m not taking my mom to therapy or to a dr’s appointment I am BORED out of my mind and severely DEPRESSED, which in turns makes me BINGE eat, so I thought maybe getting a job would give me a some sort purpose and something productive TO DO besides cleaning out my mother’s commode you understand what I’m saying? I also need money. I don’t have the option to just concentrate on weightloss.

I would look at your diet while you are job hunting see a doctor about your depression and binge eating...take care of you

I have a dr. He knows everything. I’m also on antidepressants, which have helped a lot. Unfortunately medication is not a cure all. Most of my depression is situational.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I start January 22nd. I’m taking an accelerated healthcare administrative assistant course at my local community college.

Maybe take a month to set up a plan of attack, Log and keep a diary to find out when you eat the most, what starts it, and what you eat when you do. Then work on ways to do other things, like crocheting (honestly it's super cheap and keeps your hands really busy, and very easy to learn) Since you are starting school in January would having a part time job be too much for you when school rolls around? If not go for it, keeps your mind busy and makes your move more, plus it gets a little more cash in your pocket, that can't be bad. Maybe practice around the house first and see how long you can comfortably stand up and around for.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    When it comes to shoes, think arch support, even if you have flat feet. The Insole Store is your friend. https://www.theinsolestore.com/ -- also the Dr. Scholl's display, local running shoe stores, etc.

If you start to feel soreness on the bottoms of your heels that is likely to be plantar fasciitis -- a form of hyperextension of the bottom of your foot caused by a lack of arch support. If you buy more cushion-y shoes like Aerosoles, that will just exacerbate the problem. You'll need to find what works for you but what works for me and for a slew of people who work on their feet is clogs with rigid arch support like Dansko or Sanita "Professionals."
  • juliegilburd
    juliegilburd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! Based on what you've said, I think you could very well lose some weight by working in retail, simply by being more active and having an activity to distract you from depressed thoughts. If you track your calories and activity, though - definitely. More importantly, if you think it will be good for you for any reason - just do it. It's a job; you could always quit if it's too much.

Also definitely get good shoes. Best wishes!!

P.S. If you can find the time and a group to get together with, you may find some relief in a support group for caregivers. Caregiving can be a very taxing thing to do.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I start January 22nd. I’m taking an accelerated healthcare administrative assistant course at my local community college.

Way to go! But you may also want to look at things you can do at home IN ADDITION, so that when you're not at class (or working on stuff for class) you can have purpose and joy. Writing, drawing, knitting, or other creative pursuits can be a great outlet, and as a bonus, they don't involve food! If you like puzzles, maybe try learning a new language using Duolingo.
  • fittunachick
    fittunachick Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been in your shoes, (Ha!) :) No, really though. I used to weigh 160 pounds more than I do right now. Morbidly obese. I also had plantar fasciitis. I had double foot surgery to repair my injured feet from being to heavy.
    1. A job helps you focus on yourself more. You sound like such a giving person. Make time for yourself first.
    2. Depression sucks. Been there done that. It's depressing to feel "stuck." And also depressing to feel like you don't have a life. I remember...
    3. Anything to keep you active is better than the same old thing day in and day out. You get used to what you do every day. Join a gym when you get enough money saved. Set a goal to do that FIRST thing when you get your first check.
    4. GET ORTHOTICS! Your insurance should pay for custom orthotics that fit in your shoes. Say no to boots, flip flops and those stupid large heal tennis shoe sneakers that everyone thinks helps your butt. They don't. Wear good shoes. LIke asic gels, adidas bounce, saucony. Good luck! You have to change what your doing and get unstuck. :)<3 Shutting up now. /Mo
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    What about part-time retail or grocery? That would be fewer hours on your feet, probably only 4 hours a day 3-4 days a week and it would still be some money.

What about volunteer work? I've never met a food bank or animal shelter that didn't need more help, particularly if you are available days and times when most people are working. Helping others and making the world a better place is a great way to feel better about your life and yourself.