Simple trick that took an embarrassingly long time for you to figure out...

Options

Replies

• joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    For me it was when I used to just eat a meal, track it, eat a meal, track it, and panic towards the end of the day when I'm starving and realized I have 50 calories left. Learning to plan my whole day out ahead of time definitely took the guess-work out of eating!

I was just typing this lol
  • teepuppylove
    teepuppylove Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Besides food scale tricks, I think the simple trick that I'm still learning is "Don't waste the delicious points!" Meaning don't eat something if it isn't worth the calories. Store-bought bakery items, etc. I'm always more satisfied if my "splurge" is on something really delicious and I end up eating fewer calories because I am satisfied.

Oh, and - find a workout you like! Don't kill yourself running if you hate running. Find something that you are excited you get to do.

Both of these things just clicked for me in the last few months and it has made a huge difference!!!

My lessons learned:
    It took me way to long to learn 1) to ask for what I need from my friends on here & 2) it is okay to unfriend people who do not support you the way you need to be supported (I am a "nice" person and it made it hard for me to do this at first).
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I'm worse. I tried weighing mayonnaise on my bathroom scale. After scraping it off onto my sandwich, my tuna on rye smelled like feet. I was so angry. :/

LOL!!! :)
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I'm worse. I tried weighing mayonnaise on my bathroom scale. After scraping it off onto my sandwich, my tuna on rye smelled like feet. I was so angry. :/

This is hysterical.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    kq1981 wrote: »
    I've been using mfp for a year, toiling away at scraping foods in and out of separate containers to weigh, hating that I'm wasting time, stopped weighing some days because it was so time consuming. I feel stupid for not weighing it the way you guys have suggested all this time but I'm happy because I've seen the weigh. I'm not crying at all, I have a bug in my eye.
    Thank u everyone

Oh, hugs!
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    vnb_208 wrote: »
    I use to weigh the bowl & subtract the amount of the bowl once I added my food. Until someone on MFP pointed out the TARE button on the scale.. had no idea what it ment! Now I can put the bowl on the scale hit "T" and viola it says 0 then I can weigh my food no subtraction involved took me 1 year to learn that.

The whole concept of how to use a food scale seems to escape a lot of people. I'm glad it's not just me.

At least I figured out pretty early on the importance of using one. Though I don't use it for everything, it's extremely helpful when I "stall" because I know that's when I need to buckle down with it again to get back on track.

Probably the best $20 I've spent this year.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

But the particularly embarrassing one is that I spent months scooping out foods like cream cheese, peanut butter, oil, butter, etc into a container so I could weight it on my food scale. Eventually someone on here pointed out that I can simply weigh the container before and after I get what I want and subtract the difference to get the total amount I ate. Duh! Now it seems so obvious.

Even easier, put container on scale, tare, remove required amount. Negative reading is your grams :)

This is a great trick for those of us that like to eat yogurt right out of the container. Lol. It took me a few weeks to figure it out. :D

I tend to eat Ben&Jerry’s and Hagen Daas straight out of the pint. So this is how I figure out how many portions I’ve actually eaten, lol.

That's easy. One pint = one serving.

Or at least that's how it works in my house. :o

Bahaha! That’s how I am too. I very rarely buy icecream because if i do i basically need to accept that I’m either only eating icecream that day (to stick to calories) or be willing to eat to maintenance. With 60lbs left to lose I keep it rare. I’m TRYING to learn to not eat an entire pint in a day but it’s one of my trigger foods.

PPPFFFFT a pint in a day, I raise you to a pint in one sitting or at least that was the old me. :p