Cravings

Options
How do you get rid of your cravings? Whether it’s physical or emotional. Last night and waking up this morning, I was craving giving-in to sweet cravings. I had a bottle of water instead and repeated the quote: “This too shall pass”. I need your help in this department. Thanks community!

Replies

• HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I would toss out the idea of removing cravings. Continue yo do things exactly like you did this morning and use management skills til the pass. Also figure out if anything sparks these cravings and learn to better prepare for them
  • YOLO145
    YOLO145 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Wicket sweet tooth here, Halloween was rough! But after abstaining for a bit my cravings go away, and I now have a bowl of candy sitting in front of me in the office. I can have one because it fits my calorie goals, but I know that for me if I have one, I'll want many more. Do I eat the one, and risk eating 5...or take a pass for now? Unless it's TOM I usually take a pass.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How do you get rid of your cravings? Whether it’s physical or emotional. Last night and waking up this morning, I was craving giving-in to sweet cravings. I had a bottle of water instead and repeated the quote: “This too shall pass”. I need your help in this department. Thanks community!

What exactly were you craving?
  • YOLO145
    Options
    @TavistockToad OP:How do you get rid of your cravings? Whether it’s physical or emotional. Last night and waking up this morning, I was craving giving-in to sweet cravings. I had a bottle of water instead and repeated the quote: “This too shall pass”. I need your help in this department. Thanks community!
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a good plan in place already!!
    I talk myself out of indulging in my cravings. I'm still fairly new to this whole thing and don't think I could control myself. Just one will turn into just a few and probably never stop haha. The only time I give in is TOM, when I feel that I truly woild kill someone without chocolate
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I schedule my favourite things and fit them into my goals as often as possible. This doesn't work for everybody, sometimes it triggers binges. Can't know for sure until you try.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    YOLO145 wrote: »
    @TavistockToad OP:How do you get rid of your cravings? Whether it’s physical or emotional. Last night and waking up this morning, I was craving giving-in to sweet cravings. I had a bottle of water instead and repeated the quote: “This too shall pass”. I need your help in this department. Thanks community!

I think the question was asking for clarification on whether the op is craving cake or whether a sweet cup of tea could work.
  • YOLO145
    Options
    yup i picked up on that :)
  • azironasun
    azironasun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    How do you get rid of your cravings? Whether it’s physical or emotional. . . I need your help in this department. Thanks community!

Having been on my program for 10 weeks now, I've figured out when my cravings are most likely to come on and, more importantly, how to deal with them.

I usually get a craving around mid morning. A few ounces of beef, chicken or ham (whatever meat I'll be having for lunch later) knocks it right down.

I get another craving mid afternoon and often will have a protein shake made with almond/cashew milk, protein powder and some fruit. I blend this up in the 'bullet' and the shake is sweet and tastes like a treat. It also knocks my hunger down.

In the evening after dinner but before bedtime, if I get a craving I usually go with some fruit or low fat yogurt. I always keep both on hand. Nobody ever got fat eating an extra piece of fruit.

That covers regular cravings, but for unexpected cravings, I just have to power through with anticipation, willpower and determination. Today was grocery shopping day. At Sprouts, when the bulk bins of nuts and candy were exerting their gravitational pull on me, I just had to suck it up, tell myself no, and ignore it. The same with the samples at Costco. It's difficult at first, but if you anticipate it, tell yourself no ahead of time, and stick to your plan, you feel much better afterwards.

• kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Cravings can be a result of withdrawal from sugar if you have had a fair amount in the previous days before “dieting” that’s why you can wake up ravenous the morning after a big meal some days, but other days when you’ve hardly eaten, you don’t feel hungry at all upon waking. That gnawing feeling in your stomach when you’ve eaten just a couple hours ago may not be real hunger at all, but the hypothalamus causing you to feel falsely hungry. A cleanse gets rid of the cravings so you can focus on the right foods.. I don’t mean any pills or things you buy.. just lots of water, veggies, some low glycemic fruits, and lean protein for a few days.
  • jeaninesteam1
    jeaninesteam1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    kimcalica wrote: »
    Cravings can be a result of withdrawal from sugar if you have had a fair amount in the previous days before “dieting” that’s why you can wake up ravenous the morning after a big meal some days, but other days when you’ve hardly eaten, you don’t feel hungry at all upon waking. That gnawing feeling in your stomach when you’ve eaten just a couple hours ago may not be real hunger at all, but the hypothalamus causing you to feel falsely hungry. A cleanse gets rid of the cravings so you can focus on the right foods.. I don’t mean any pills or things you buy.. just lots of water, veggies, some low glycemic fruits, and lean protein for a few days.

Can u tell me more about that hypothalamus? I've been dieting for 4 months and I get a weird feeling about 1 to 1.5 hours after eating. Hunger? Not sure. Wassup?
  • kimcalica
    Options
    https://www.hellolife.net/eating-healthy/b/the-role-of-the-hypothalamus-in-hunger/

Here’s a great article about the hypothalamus and hunger. My son has a rare chromosomal disorder called Prader Willi syndrome that effects it and he is constantly hungry (psychologically) and when he eats sugar or processed foods, it makes it much worse.
  • Anon2018
    Anon2018 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    So, if I'm having a specific craving, I say to myself "You have to wait 24 hours. If you're still craving it in 24 hours, you can have it"
  • kimcalica
    Options
    Anon2018 wrote: »
    So, if I'm having a specific craving, I say to myself "You have to wait 24 hours. If you're still craving it in 24 hours, you can have it"
    Lol I think if you have a specific craving, and you work hard, and it doesn’t go away... go for it!
  • Carl_Carlson
    Carl_Carlson Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Icelandic Birch Schnapps
  • SusanDSME
    SusanDSME Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I make sure I have enough calories left at night for a small dessert. Not a big sticky piece of chocolate cake, but one or two small cookies. I struggle with cravings, too, but having dessert pre-logged definitely helps. I gave in and had one chocolate chip earlier tonight... but I figure as long as I can keep it to one (something like 5 calories), it's okay. I do find that the more I run, the less I feel like eating. It doesn't really make sense to me, but I'm thankful!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I thank you all so much for your insights and support!

I went to an acupuncturist today who is also a doctor. She recommended intermittent fasting, water fasting, and the Cellular Healing diet which is basically a Keto diet and to get rid of all the “red light foods” like @roxiedawn reminded me. @TavistockToad I felt addicted to sweets like ice cream, candy, desserts, anything chocolate, bread. Anything with sugar.

I am going to follow this new approach because I am desperate to feel different. I will let the community know how it goes!

Oh dear....