Building Discipline

Options
What are some of the things you do, or have done, to build discipline and habits in your food and fitness life?

How do you deal with setbacks?

Replies

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    It's like any other habit: consistency over time. Unfortunately that's where many people struggle. They spend a tremendous amount of time and energy looking for shortcuts and quick fixes.
  • DISCIPLINEEQUALSFREEDOM
    Options
    Read the book Discipline Equals Freedom, not joking...read it...like yesterday.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    1) Start with something you really like. It's easier to force yourself to do something hard if you at least like it.

2) Changes must be convenient.

3) Setback? No problem. Keep track of everything in a journal, but a setback is nothing to think about at first. Focus on the next step. Focus on what you are GOING to do next. If you find repeated setbacks, go back to the journal, analyze trends and make adjustments to the plan that addresses the issues causing the setbacks.

4) Patience. I keep hearing it takes 21 days to build a habit. It takes me, like, 21 months.
  • Greybeard51
    Greybeard51 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    “It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop” - Confucius.

• KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    I set big goals and incremental goals. Goals should excite you and even scare you a little. I’ve signed up for 2 Ironman events and 4 marathons into mid 2018. Then I set my training goals (like 50 Miles Running this week with one long run of 22 Miles) and training plan for the next few months. Once committed to races and planned the training schedule, it’s just execution.
  • theyoginurse
    theyoginurse Posts: 82 Member
    Options

I just purchased this. Thank you so much!
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options

Thank you, I will check that out.
  • establishingaplace
    Options
    Mostly interested in hearing YOUR methods and experiences, not stock advice like "Just Do It."
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Lift.

Just Arnold 101, sets and reps. You'll see. 8 reps with 5 lbs this week will be 12 reps with 8 lbs soon. How did this happen you'll wonder. You just kept showing up and doing the routine and you got stronger. Maybe gained a bit of definition.

Discipline is built on belief in your program. To believe in your program you have give it time to work. You also have to recognize success when you see it.

Discipline is incremental. Lifting is a great teacher of discipline. Lifting can be reverse engineered into weight loss.
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Set a specific time for activity every day. I choose the morning when I used to sleep.. an hour.. I thought about all the time I spent watching tv, how much time I give to that. In the beginning it really doesn’t matter how hard you work in that hour, the most important thing is establishing routine. But it’s an active hour.. housework, yard work, dancing.. lifting.. any dang thing you want.. it’s your time! Build stamina and strength this way.. every week you can do more.. challenge yourself once in awhile, and you’ll be surprised at the inspiration and motivation that you get from these simple things.
  • Josyurtos23
    Josyurtos23 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I just started about a month ago for the billionth time lol. What’s working for me this time is, once a week meal prep. I got the ideas from you tube videos mostly and it’s been helping a lot.

As far as excersise, I’m still trying to work that in daily. It’s my struggle right now.

We are all in this together.
    Good luck in your journey
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options

The title reminds me of an old monastic wisdom that true freedom can be found only in the context of discipline. We tend to think freedom is following every little impulse, but then we end up slaves to our impulses. I'm not free to drop everything right now and run a 10k if I haven't had a discipline of getting a few miles in a few times a week. Of course, monks use athletic metaphors to describe spiritual disciplines, e.g. I'm not able to choose to the right action in a very challenging clutch moment if I haven't made efforts to strengthen my character. In both cases, if I'm in poor condition (physically or mentally), some options are just not on the table for me, hence I'm not "free" to choose them.

I have no idea if the book's thesis is similar, but I'll check it out!

OP, it helps me to focus on one small (manageable, sustainable) change at a time. When I slip, I examine what was going on with me leading up to it to try to get some insight on myself. Gather up all the crumbs of a setback to make you stronger for next time.
  • establishingaplace
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »
    alphaloria wrote: »
    Mostly interested in hearing YOUR methods and experiences, not stock advice like "Just Do It."

My advice isn't stock, so I'll personalize more here:

I use several trackers:
    -mfp for food
    -Daylio for moods
    -Garmin connect for work outs
    -Passion Planner for schedules, agenda, plans, weekly and monthly reflections.

The Passion Planner looks pretty cool! I've been wanting to get into bullet journaling to set up something along those lines. Do a habit tracker, some journaling, and put things on a calendar to push me to them. Do you find you are more likely to do something if you see it on your calendar?

I liked your feedback, so thanks! And good job on keeping off that weight. That's a much bigger challenge than losing it in the first place.
  • establishingaplace
    Options
    kimcalica wrote: »
    Set a specific time for activity every day. I choose the morning when I used to sleep.. an hour.. I thought about all the time I spent watching tv, how much time I give to that. In the beginning it really doesn’t matter how hard you work in that hour, the most important thing is establishing routine. But it’s an active hour.. housework, yard work, dancing.. lifting.. any dang thing you want.. it’s your time! Build stamina and strength this way.. every week you can do more.. challenge yourself once in awhile, and you’ll be surprised at the inspiration and motivation that you get from these simple things.

I like this. I tend to expect that if I put aside a block of time that I have to go ovaries to the wall with whatever I do. I need to be easier on myself for sure.
  • establishingaplace
    Options

I like this. I tend to expect that if I put aside a block of time that I have to go ovaries to the wall with whatever I do. I need to be easier on myself for sure.

I’ve lost 130 lbs with this method! I like to think I work smart, not hard! Lol!
    rnt5f84818hv.jpeg

And you look amazing. Well done!
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I started putting things on the calendar, gym classes, jogs In the park, walks with a friend. Whatever. Those were commitments and I kept them.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    What are some of the things you do, or have done, to build discipline and habits in your food and fitness life?

How do you deal with setbacks?
    Consistently stick to a routine. And while things may happen, getting back to consistency helps to deal with minor setbacks.
    Also, plan for contingencies. If you know you're going to a party with lots of food, be prepared by doing things like possibly eating a little before arriving, exercising more that day or fasting until the party.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png