What if you can't lift weights?

Options
bionic_woman
bionic_woman Posts: 28 Member
edited November 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I've read a lot of articles about of the benefits of lifting weights, but not seen much about gaining strength by other means. Due to my carer responsibilities I can't get to a gym and can get to a swimming pool once a week. I have also been doing some low-impact workouts at home due to a painful/stiff knee. In addition I also had some health problems associated with lifting heavy weights and am waiting to see if I have the all-clear from the doctor. I have a pair of mere 6kg dumbbells at home and don't have space for more.

I'm wondering if I can compensate for not lifting heavy weights by doing bodyweight workouts, though of course visible results would take longer? My overall goals are weight loss (I've lost 12.7 lbs, 20 to go), flexibility, fitness and general strength.

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    bodyweight workouts are really good. you will definitely see results, and its not necessary longer. It just depends on what program you are following and how diligent you are.

there are lots of ways to get strong besides lifting weights in the gym.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    yep bodyweight workouts are good and you dont need a gym for those. I have the you are your own gym wokout video volume one. those are really good and I dont get tired of them and they only take 20-30 min 3 times a week,there is 3 dvds and 3 different workouts on each(beginner,advanced and intermediate).

Im waiting to buy the next volume and they have other videos I plan on buying too. I got stronger doing them often .I was lifting heavy weights and had an injury so had to not lift for awhile to heal and went to bodyweight workouts.
  • bionic_woman
    bionic_woman Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! Could you (or anyone reading :smile: ) please recommend a programme?
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    For starting out, really just do some push ups, tri-cep dips off the side of the couch work great as well. If you can't do a full push up, start on the counter, then move to the stairs, then try a full one. It sounds like you might not be wanting to do so much lower body stuff with your knee, but a wall sit might be good as an option. You don't really need a program, just google body weight exercises and do as many reps as possible of the ones you can do, a few times a day. Aim to increase the reps.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! Could you (or anyone reading :smile: ) please recommend a programme?

FitnessBlender, NerdFitness, StrongCurves Booty-Ful, You Are Your Own Gym, Convict Conditioning; also Muscle & Fitness has bodyweight as well.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Ideally get a customized plan from a personal trainer with a degree in kinesiology or physiotherapy, and have them correct your form.

For some cookie-cutter programs, check here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

By the way, if you invest in a pair of adjustable dumbbells, you can greatly improve on bodyweight workouts, which are limited. :+1:
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options

i'm a huge fan of TRX training, if you have somewhere to hook it up in your house or garage.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the NerdFitness beginner body weight program for a few weeks now and am really enjoying it*. I was nervous about doing stuff wrong, but there are tons of form videos floating around, plus lots of suggestions for modifications.

*Except the plank. *kitten* planks.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I quit the gym a couple years ago because of hurting myself lifting heavy as well. Other than tractor tire flips I never lift anything over my bodyweight. I feel better and stronger than I ever did at the gym. My joints don't hurt the next day like they did when I lifted heavy. I have a different outlook on fitness and training now and couldn't be happier. I work rotating 12 hour shifts from days to nights and I have a small farm so I know what you mean about hard to find time to get to the gym. I do circuit training on the days that I work so I can get a great workout in 30-35 minutes. On my days off I try to run, bike, kayak or do anything that gets me and my family outside and active. Best luck with whatever you choose and feel free to add me. I have open diary and try to post my workouts every couple days.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Besides the ones already mentioned, look up Al kavadlo, GMB, gymnastics bodies. You can go a long way 'just' doing bodyweight exercises
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Ultimately, besides personality and presentation differences, there's very little difference between the various Good BW programs. That being said, If you can't read/follow/understand/complete a program because the author's style isn't compatible with you, then it's not a good program.

SO, As above

You are your own gym
    Kavadlo
    Gymnastic Bodies
    Pavel(Naked warrior or super joints or Relax into Stretch)
    Convict Conditioning
    Overcoming Gravity
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    +1 for You Are Your Own Gym.