I feel like I’ll never reach my goal.

Everytime I have some type of motivation to lose weight, I never accomplish it. I’m always hungry and I always over indulge on chips and cake, it’s the taste that gives me a rush. I’m tired of this and when I’m in the moment I can’t stop. Like it’s not like binge eating but at the same time it is. I waisted 5 months I was supposed to lose weight on over eating. I don’t know how and when this will stop. I don’t know when I’ll actually lose weight. I don’t want to keep being like this, all my life I was obese but food is all I ever think of. Mannnn I need help but I’m not going to therapy

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Put your stats into MFP with a goal to lose 1/2-1 pound a week maximum. Once you have done that it is give you the calories to eat everyday. Eat that many calories AND at least 1/2 of your exercise calories. Choose foods you enjoy and include cake and chips if it fits into your allotted calories. For many restricting certain foods leads to more binge eating and failed diets as does undereating. A ratio of 80% unprocessed, 'healthy' foods to 20% treats is often given by dietitians.
  • lizabenue
    lizabenue Posts: 11 Member
    What kind of cake?

Ettenmans party cake

• lizabenue
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Put your stats into MFP with a goal to lose 1/2-1 pound a week maximum. Once you have done that it is give you the calories to eat everyday. Eat that many calories AND at least 1/2 of your exercise calories. Choose foods you enjoy and include cake and chips if it fits into your allotted calories. For many restricting certain foods leads to more binge eating and failed diets as does undereating. A ratio of 80% unprocessed, 'healthy' foods to 20% treats is often given by dietitians.
    I already tried going on a calorie deficit. But now I want to stop eating cake and chips and all, I stopped fast food but I never want to eat cake or chips or ice cream again. I’m in a sport, and it’s helping me lose weight but it’s like I can’t keep eating like this, I’m a teen I got to be healthy but it’s like I’m addicted to chips and I’m always hungry, I think about taking hunger suppressant pills and even hypno therapy I’m so desperate I hate food. It ruined my life
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    lizabenue wrote: »
    I already tried going on a calorie deficit. But now I want to stop eating cake and chips and all, I stopped fast food but I never want to eat cake or chips or ice cream again. I’m in a sport, and it’s helping me lose weight but it’s like I can’t keep eating like this, I’m a teen I got to be healthy but it’s like I’m addicted to chips and I’m always hungry, I think about taking hunger suppressant pills and even hypno therapy I’m so desperate I hate food. It ruined my life

Who says having chips, ice-cream and cake sometimes in moderation isn't good for you?
  • lizabenue
    lizabenue wrote: »

Who says having chips, ice-cream and cake sometimes in moderation isn't good for you?
    I do because I never have it in just “moderation” I over eat.
  • rawrrgenn
    rawrrgenn Posts: 118 Member
    start doing what you know you need to in order to reach your goal.baby steps. this could be eliminating sweets from your house, setting particular days or times aside for exercise, drinking more water..just giving examples. try being more attentive to what you decide to eat and whether that snack or meal is going to take you a step or more back from your goal. motivation won't always be there, but building habits and discipline are easier to implement. you are the only one who can and will do this for you. all the best.
  • megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    You're hungry because things like chips and sweets don't fill you up. I ate like that as a teen too. It's hard when your dependent on your parents to have the food. Do you work? Maybe start buying some healthy things to have with you. A lot of it is an oral and taste fixation. You need something to keep you busy or the taste makes you feel better for a split second. I found that not having bad food in the house helped but if that's not an option then carry healthy snacks with you like protein bars, fruit, nuts, etc. I know for me it was because in retrospect I realize I was depressed as a teen and food made me feel better. It's still a struggle but at least now I realize the issues. Take a look beyond the food and ask yourself why you eat. It may help to keep a journal and write down how you feel when you eat. Good luck!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I'll just assume that you're 18 or 19...

You struggle with overeating certain foods because - in your head - they are awesome, in every meaning: They are wonderful and they are to be feared.

If you could challenge the belief that some foods are toxic, that they have power over you, that you are not in control, you will be able to eat anything in moderation. You may have to implement some basic rules and strategies (not buying large amounts of very tempting foods isn't being a coward, it is being smart; "normal foods for normal days, cake on birthdays" is actually a normal way to eat). This is a process that takes effort, time, practice, kindness and determination.

Food is good and it's supposed to be good. Food is also everywhere all the time. But you can't eat everything and all the time. You need enough, but not too much. You need more variety than just chips and cake. There are no foods you have to eat and no foods you can't eat. Just eat a lot of different foods you like.

And the thing with motivation to lose weight - that is hopeless. You can't directly alter your weight. But if you consistently eat less than you burn, over time, you lose weight. Find reasons for why you want to eat less and move more, and strategies for how to make that more appealing than the lifestyle you have now. You're describing a situation filled with panic, desperation, stress and worry, so a number of alternatives would potentially be an improvement.

One thing you can be sure of, is that this isn't just going to stop. You have to stop it.
  • purplebobkat
    purplebobkat Posts: 68 Member
    My fix fot this wad to go cold turkey.

Eliminate all your trigger foods from your diet. Replace them with veg and protein & eat enough to feel really full.

Don't worry about the cals too much at first. Give it a couple of weeks till your feeling less cravings then start to work on the macros and cal goals. Then you can try to add a small taste of something you normally binge on. If you can handle it great, if not keep the trigger foods eliminated until you feel more in control if them.

The main thing is to feel full with eating healthy foods so that you don't get snacky while you are trying to get through the toughest few weeks.

It may sound strange but going cold turkey for a few weeks was much easier for me than just trying to limit consumption. It took me about a month before I was back in control & currently I can have a small amount of the foods that used to trigger me, without feeling like I have to just keep eating & eating & eating & eating.

Good luck. It's always difficult to alter an eating pattern that takes up so much of your time and thoughts.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    edited November 2017
    When I was younger I used to feel inside that I'm young and if you can't eat these things in what seems like everyone else is eating then what enjoyment would I get out of life?

Everyone around me seemed to just eat right from the bag or pour a huge bowl and eat those.
    So when I would try and eat in moderation of these items it would seem more of a punishment like there was something wrong with me.

Took me a long time to realize that I had to look around and really understand the people doing it. The people gaining weight are not benefiting from the calorie surplus and over all their entire diet should not be an example I should try to follow. The people who don't gain weight I needed to understand that their lifestyles were different. The calories they consumed regularly were less then their calories out regularly so when the time came for them to sit down with the bag of chips or huge piece of cake it didn't matter if they were way over that day because they didn't eat these things at that portion as a standard in their diet and the rest of their meals were calorie balanced.

I wouldn't cut yourself off cold turkey and never eat them again. But I would suggest you stop buying them for a couple weeks and see how well you can stick to a normal calorie deficit. If you can maintain a calorie goal with no issues then set a night once a week and buy a couple single serve bags of chips to take home. Or go to a bakery and buy a slice of cake and then just eat what you enjoy. Then when they are gone they are gone and resume deficit for the week.

If you find the next day you are craving that crunch or that sweet take the edge off with some low calorie rice cake chip things Quaker makes
    Some air popped popcorn.
    Something that isn't the food that causes compulsion but is just enough to ground you again by the next day.
    Sometimes things require us to use strategy especially since we don't have the natural habit of being able to control the calories in without paying attention.

But don't waste your time just aiming for one result and expecting that dieting will work and that avoiding the food will fix it. Some people do find they can moderate afterwards but you may not. Avoiding a food can also just be only avoiding the issue and it will just hang around until you return. It could take many trials and fails before something works but you won't find what works if you avoid things. It's unlikely you won't have strong cravings for them eventually anyway and end up binging on them regardless. I would rather have those moments done and over with now by trying methods determined to do this calorie counting thing and lose weight and find what works before even more time passes.