do i need protein shakes if i go to the gym?

Options
so ive just started the gym and my main goal is to lose 3 stone. im mainly doing weights. do i need protein shakes or are they not necessary for weight loss?
i would like to also tone up aswell but i dont want big muscles like bodybuilders

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    No, you almost certainly don't protein shakes. They're simply easy ways to get additional protein/Calories (often carbs, too), if needed.

And don't worry - you won't look like a bodybuilder without years of concentrated effort. And/or PEDs.
  • taylorro
    taylorro Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    They aren't necessary, eating right and getting a healthy amount of protein in your diet can be enough. I use them currently for meal replacements when I don't have time to make something. I'd focus more on healthy eating and if you wanted to watch your Macros instead of spending the money on shakes right now.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    The gym, lifting weights and protein shakes will not aid your weight loss unless your overall diet is in check and you are eating at a suitable calorie deficit. Diet first if you wish to loose weight. Once the diet is dialled in then you will loose weight. Weight lifting can help to maintain muscle mass while loosing weight and I am a firm believer that everyone should lift weights.
    Protein shakes are only required if you cannot meet your protein target with real whole foods and maintain the calorie deficit you need. They are not a magic pill, they do not help with weight loss specifically or building muscles.
    Toning up is just revealing muscles that are currently covered in a layer of fat. a calorie deficit will help you loose the fat, weight lifting will help you maintain the muscle you have. YOU WILL NOT GAIN BIG MUSCLES WITHOUT A CALORIE SURPLUS, MULTIPLE YEARS TRAINING AND A BODY BUILDING WEIGHT LIFTING PROGRAM. IT DOES NOT HAPPEN BY ACCIDENT.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Only if your gym requires payment in protein shakes. I read on The Daily Mail that it's a thing now...
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You can get protein by eating it in your daily calories. Losing weight is about caloric deficit.
  • sammiewammie444
    sammiewammie444 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    thecharon wrote: »
    No. Is someone at a gym trying to sell you products?

no they are not, i was just generally wondering if it was something i needed to help with muscle recovery and stuff
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    thecharon wrote: »
    No. Is someone at a gym trying to sell you products?

no they are not, i was just generally wondering if it was something i needed to help with muscle recovery and stuff

Protein is needed for your muscles, but you can get that from any type of food with protein. That can include protein shakes or bars if you like them and they fit into your goals, but they're totally optional.
  • sammiewammie444
    sammiewammie444 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    i probably should have worded it better. i know they wont help with weight loss, but the question was about if i need to when all im trying to do at the gym is loose weight rather than bodybuild
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    i probably should have worded it better. i know they wont help with weight loss, but the question was about if i need to when all im trying to do at the gym is loose weight rather than bodybuild

If your question is how is it best to fuel training/recovery. The answer is that it really depends on what works for you.

It's OK to eat before or after. or have a shake before or after.

See the advice on this recent thread, the advice is the same regardless of training activity.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10617882/what-to-eat-before-and-after-a-run/p1

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If your goal is weightloss, you need a consistent calorie deficit, and that is easiest to achieve by reducing calorie intake. What you eat will not directly matter for weightloss. It will however matter for how easy it is to eat less, and thus for how long and consistently you can stick to a calorie deficit.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

The answer is still "no." If you want one, fine - just make sure you fit it into your daily (or weekly) Calorie allotment.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    No you dont need protein shakes to lose weight. It does help with muscle recovery but like someone said you can get protein from other sources. I drink protein shakes because it is quick and easy to make.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

Are you doing any kind of strength training? Not to body build but to tone or firm up?
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Be careful of people trying to sell you stuff to lose weight, especially "diet foods" or "diet supplements". More often than not, it's unnecessary. Instead, it's marketing.

People make money off of protein bars, protein powder, protein smoothies, Gatorade and various potions and such. It's harder to profit off of ordinary foods like hard boiled eggs, bananas, or plain old tap water.

Some people on very elite levels need special supplements and such. The average Joe or Jane on a diet doesn't. Not that you can't enjoy a protein smoothie--it might be great for you--but be aware it's not necessary.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. I train in the early morning and like a protein shake first. Sometimes I drink chocolate milk.
  • mdaniyalPSN580
    mdaniyalPSN580 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    They certainly help.Increasing your protein intake with considerable amount of calories intake will help you maintain muscle mass while cutting.