Gaining Muscle Mass During Weight Loss

Options
Since back on plan for the past 5 weeks :) I have been doing boxing training and some weight lifting 4 days a week. I've lost 10 lbs in 5 weeks but have noticeably gained muscle in upper body for sure from the boxing. Its an amazing workout and it goes fast!

I keep wondering as I've lost weight, how much have I gained in muscle? I'm not sayin I'm like Evander Holyfield or anything but I can tell for sure in my arms and pecs the difference.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Of course some people can gain some muscle in a sensible deficit - it's not that uncommon but it is very hard to measure. Of all the methods of estimating a tape measure probably gives you the truest idea for next to no money.

10lbs in 5 weeks is a very high deficit though, hope some of that loss was an initial water weight loss.

Thread of interest to you OP
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10611633/gaining-muscle-in-a-deficit#latest
  • Hulbert0089
    Hulbert0089 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Cool thanks for the link! I'm sure there was some water weight initially, lost 3.6 week 1, 6.3 over the past 4 weeks.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You can gain strength and muscle definition during weightloss, but it's unlikely you'll gain new muscle "mass." Keep lifting because it will give you a better looking body when you reach goal.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Gaining muscle means ADDING WEIGHT. Now there are some exceptions (obese, new to gym work, returning athletes) but even for them, muscle gain is pretty minimal.
    You might "swell" up initially from exercising due to glycogen filling up the cells, but that subsides after a few weeks.
    Unless their a surplus, because you need material to build muscle from, most people are just witnessing "definition" of muscle they already have.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png