PREDiabetic sweet tooth

Options
I have Pre Diabetes, and had gestational diabetes years ago. My question is what do you reach for when you have a sweet craving that is low cal low sugar? (I try to keep it below 7g per serving)

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I try to stay low carb all the time but I will sometimes have a very small treat, smaller than regular serving size, if it is not at home.

At home I will have stevia sweetened coffee or tea, whipped avocado and cream with stevia and cocoa, or a diet Pepsi. I try not to have sugary items because one or two bites leads to dozens more most of the time. I do better to skip it.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Berries and cool whip honestly. Hard to get anything decent that low carb and low cal. I a diabetic also. I generally go with fruit because it has fiber also. But i do have the occasional cupcake, cake, cookie, etc.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Small dark chocolate.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you are tracking sugar when diabetics should be tracking carbs.

Whatever you reach for it should be paired with a protein source to slow digestion and absorption of the carbs.

This is things a diabetic education team would teach you. Usually these information sessions are free
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    sugar free pudding / jello
  • Spencerport
    Spencerport Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Republic of Tea makes some really good chocolate teas, we use splenda in our house as a family member is diabetic. So it is 4 calories total for the whole mug.
  • fedupfatty86
    fedupfatty86 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've recently discovered the atkins treats and I really like the enduldge chocolate coconut bar. it reminds me of a mounds bar and it's only 3g net carbs
  • almacdee
    almacdee Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Microwave 1 cup of frozen blueberries for 30 seconds, add 1 cup of Plain greek yogurt, sprinkle w/stevia. mmmm...great sub for ice cream.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you are tracking sugar when diabetics should be tracking carbs.

Whatever you reach for it should be paired with a protein source to slow digestion and absorption of the carbs.

This is things a diabetic education team would teach you. Usually these information sessions are free

^ This.

Carbs break down into sugar. My mom and my fiance are both diabetics, so we have all learned how to properly watch what they consume. If you haven't already, you should take some of the free diabetic classes. They usually even give you recipes and free stuff.

That being said, frozen berries with lite cool whip (has less carbs than sugar free), swiss miss diet hot chocolate, sugar free pudding, and sugar free jello are good dessert choices.

Another great option is Enlightened Ice Cream Bars. Now, these do have 15-20 carbs in them. However, most of those carbs come from fiber or erythritol, which is a natural sweetener that our bodies are unable to break down. This gives you the sweet flavor without spiking your blood sugar.