Supplements and vitamins

My questions is regarding supplements and vitamins. I've been trying to do research on all this fitness stuff and wanted some real people thoughts.

Do you do the supplements? If so what and why?

I take my daily multi vitamin, Iron (I'm anemic so I gotta), and Green tea extract (for the health benefits...it's supposed to be a good "natural" thing for depression, concentration, and what have you. Dr recommended so I said sure, why not)

Are there some things you absolutely MUST have? Are there some that are a huge no-no for you? I'm still new to all this and I'm trying to just figure out what would not just help me lose weight but also be healthy.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I do supplements because -- in combination with my personal research and consultation with my doctor -- I know there are some specific things I need or am likely to need that I'm not getting consistently through my diet.

For me, that's B12, vitamin D, DHA, and iodine. I used to take iron, but my last blood test results were good enough that my doctor recommended that I stop.

My "must haves," in a dire situation, would be the B12 and the vitamin D.

I don't know if anyone else's choices will necessarily help you figure out what you need to take.
  • HeatherLW32
    HeatherLW32 Posts: 6 Member
    She's one that prefers natural remedies to the pharmaceutical ones. I have noticed it does help with my concentrations and energy throughout the day. Especially since I gave up the Mt Dew (And all sugary drinks) a few months ago.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    I take a multi vitamin, Adcal (calcium and vitamin d) and iron as per my gp's prescription (malabsorption issue)
    I have bow injections 12 weekly as I'm unable to absorb it via my stomach
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    B12 injections. Stupid auto correct
    I also take flaxseed and brewers yeast as I'm breastfeeding
  • HeatherLW32
    Do you like your multi vitamin? I take One A Day and it's okay as long as I eat something before hand, otherwise I get an upset stomach.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2017
    If you are looking on fitness sites they are going to tell you all kinds of supplements and vitamins you should be taking so they can take your money. All you need is the medically necessary supplements/vitamins referred to you by your doctor because they have determined you deficient.

I do not take any vitamins other than Calcium+D and magnesium. I do not even take a multivitamin.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    I take B12 and D because I live in the pacific northwest and sunlight can be hidden by rain.

A multi Vit just cos I'm old and want to make sure I'm covered.

(I have recently been considering adding calcium as a bit of protection for my bones, but I think my dairy intake and lifting heavy things are probably doing a good job)

Cheers, h.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited November 2017
    I do the following... most of it I take pretty regularly, but ultimately it's all done on an as needed basis -
    • Whey protein shakes - Convenient protein source. Also allows me to be a bit more flexible with the rest of my foods, which is easier with/for/on my family.
    • Multivitamin - Easy insurance for my unbalanced diet (I don't eat fruit or veggies).
    • Vitamin D - We get about 4 minutes of sun per year where I live.
    • Advil - I'm old and something always hurts.
    • Caffeine - I need a kick in the butt most mornings.
    • Magnesium - helps with sleep.
  • HeatherLW32
    I have heard that fish oil is really good.

Does magnesium really help with sleep? That's definitely an area I need help with.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited November 2017
    I have heard that fish oil is really good.

Does magnesium really help with sleep? That's definitely an area I need help with.

The oversimplified take-away from my reading has been that it basically works like a muscular and neurological relaxant... so it help you relax and "turn off" at night, making it easier to fall asleep.

I'd do your own research though, or at the very least ask your GP first.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    I take a Vitamin C/Vitamin B combo when I feel like I'm getting sick.
  • maura_tasi
    maura_tasi Posts: 196 Member
    I take a multi vitamin and a fish oil every day (per my doctors approval). I'll take extra vitamin C and suck on zinc lozenges when I'm feeling a cold coming on. I think it's totally fine to take any supplement/vitamin your body needs, however, I do think they need to be cleared with your doctor first to confirm you actually need them. I know far too many people who take an excess amount of vitamins/supplements simply because they tell themselves they'll be healthier and need them without consulting their doctor first.
  • katnadreau
    katnadreau Posts: 149 Member
    I do a women's multivitamin every day. I do a decent job of getting most of what I need through food. It's mostly a habit thing now, I've spent so much of the past 12 years taking prenatals it felt weird not taking anything lol
  • msdemmie
    msdemmie Posts: 14 Member
    Multivitamin every day and Cartisil ( Glucosamine complex ) for degenerative arthritis, twice a day - DR prescribed.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited November 2017
    I take a multivitamin every day, and an extra vitamin D capsule (2000 IUs). I also take a couple of tart cherry extract caps because some studies suggest it's good for gout, and I've had fewer attacks and less severe ones since starting the tart cherry caps (I get attacks because of the meds I'm on). I take a couple of pomegranate extract caps as well, because I have prostate cancer and some research suggests it can slow the progression of prostate cancer. I take the cherry and pomegranate in caps because of the calories -- when I eventually reach my maintenance weight, I'll switch to a tart cherry/pomegranate juice "cocktail" with breakfast. The vitamin D is for the cancer, too. When I have trouble getting to sleep or staying asleep, I'll use melatonin or valerian as a sleep aid. I used fish oil long ago, but it's a no no with the coumadin I'm on. What do my doctors say? They roll their eyes and tell me I'm wasting my money.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    I take b12, vitamin d, iodine (i dont use table salt much), and a dha supplement