HELP! Healthier kid friendly dinner ideas

Options
BRSGOALS18
BRSGOALS18 Posts: 6 Member
My biggest downfall is DINNER. Cooking something my kids will eat and is not a calorie killer. Ive tried to do the cook for the family then make myself a diet friendly meal but its just too much. I either end up not eating or over eating while cooking. So I need some kid tested dinner ideas!! Ive got some recipes from Pinterest but curious to know if anyone else has come across the same issue and how you resolved.

Replies

• SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Why can't the kids eat the same as you?

This. I am the cook in our family. They eat whatever I cook or they can go hungry. However, for example, if I make a curry, I might have cauli rice instead of regular. With a roast it might be more veggies than potatoes, or just a smaller portion of something high calorie. What are their dietary restrictions and maybe we can come up with some ideas? What do your kids eat that is so high in calories you can't eat it? And how limited is their diet that they don't eat anything "healthy"? Meat and veg is healthy, spaghetti bolognese is healthy....
  • lilistrawberry
    lilistrawberry Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    How about cooking meals that combine what you are allowed to eat with food that kids like, too. Meaning: the base for your and their meal is the same, but they might get something extra that you are not allowed to have.
    For example:
    - Oven-roasted chicken with veggies. You can eat the breast without skin, they get the legs, wings, skin etc. You can throw in whichever vegetables you and they like - sweet potato, butternut, etc. - if you prefer other vegetables than your kids you can fill a corner of the tray with your "lighter" vegetables and they get other ones. Plus, prep time is short and while it's roasting in the oven you can do whatever you like.
    - Chili con Carne. Just make a big batch of the chili spices in advance to keep in an air tight container (look for "recipes" for the right mix of spices on cooking websites) and from there on it's super fast to make as you will only need an onion, tomato sauce, kidney beans and some lean ground beef or turkey. Macros are great if it's all self-made and kids usually like it. You can pair it with a side of rice or bread for your kids while you just eat the chili as is. Sour cream can be substituted with yoghurt. If you mix the spices yourself you have more influence on the taste, which means you don't need to make it spicy if your kids don't like that.
    - Burritos to build yourself. Takes a little more prep time but basically everyone can stuff their burrito with whatever they want to. Instead of eating a burrito, you can leave out the tortilla and simply make a burrito bowl for yourself, so basically a salad with tasty toppings (meat, veggies, guacamole etc.)
    - Spaghetti with meatballs. Super easily made, the kids can even help you. While they get spaghetti you can substitute yours with zoodles or shiratake noodles.

Hope this can give you some inspiration! All the best :smile:
  • Pepsab
    Pepsab Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    We do a lot of meat and salad dinners. Ill make potatoes for the kids and hubby and i either have sweet potato or just the salad and meat. Also the same with roasted meat/vegies etc.

Tacos
    Burgers - i have mine without the bun or with if my calories allow it and make my own patties.

I generally try keeping it simple. I always meal plan a week in advance then i do my shopping. It makes dinner time way easier.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I don't know the age of your kids but if they are old enough let them each pick a new fruit and/or veggie and let them help prepare it. They may be more excited to try it if they helped.

I am also a big fan of sheet pan meals. You can put a lot of different things on the same sheet pan to roast in the oven. Then everyone gets their preference. Good luck! I hope your dinner time is more joy than hassle real soon.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    BRSGOALS18 wrote: »
    My biggest downfall is DINNER. Cooking something my kids will eat and is not a calorie killer. Ive tried to do the cook for the family then make myself a diet friendly meal but its just too much. I either end up not eating or over eating while cooking. So I need some kid tested dinner ideas!! Ive got some recipes from Pinterest but curious to know if anyone else has come across the same issue and how you resolved.

What do you mean by "diet friendly meal"? Why not just provide a healthy balanced meal for everyone and eat it within your calorie limit?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    What are your kids eating now? Why can't you eat most of the same foods?

Tacos- use leaner meat, beans, add toppings individually... have a taco salad while they use tortillas.
    Soup- my dd likes minestrone and lentil soup
    Pizza- individual pizzas using tortillas or pita bread for a crust are fun and easy.
    Pasta with marinara sauce and veggies instead and cheese or a cream sauce.
    Have some of the main item and a big salad. Put more vegetables on your plate.
    Grill burgers, chicken or vegetables.
    Bake foods instead of frying. My dd likes baked french fries or oven roasted potato slices.
    Use less oil or butter in cooking. Use lower fat dairy or consume less.

Eat a lighter breakfast or lunch and save more calories for dinner. Many recipes fit 500-600 calories per serving. That isn't super outrageous.
    Recipe sites like allrecipes list calorie counts. Budgetbytes has tasty recipes. Skinnytaste also. I find food ideas on pinterest as well.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Until recently, my son and husband ate very differently than I do. After my husband got his blood work back (not good), he started eating more in line of how I do. Prior to that, I would sometimes use the same protein and just make different sides. Otherwise, I batch cook and freeze individual serving sizes of proteins that are more appropriate for me, giving me many different choices for when I make them something that I don't want. My son is not child anymore so he can eat what I make or make something else himself.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    What comes to mind for me is Tacos. Make the meat (I use extra lean ground beef), and use it in traditional tacos, or a burrito, or a quesodilla, or nachoes, or a salad (I have learned that salsa makes an incredible dressing).

I live with a 36 year old "boy" and he lives for taco night because he can do whatever he wants with the meat and I can still stay within calories and satisified.
  • howardrood
    howardrood Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try this. Great recipe. Very moist and 2/3 mushrooms. Unbelievably Moist Turkey Mushroom Meatloaf. FYI. I use 1/2 Cremini and 1/2 Portobello. I Also add ~3oz sun dried tomatoes. I also use a 9"x5" loaf pan and double or triple the recipe and vacuum seal and freeze in portion sizes for future eating.

http://www.inspiredtaste.net/21535/unbelievably-moist-turkey-meatloaf-recipe/
  • PMCG1
    PMCG1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love the Looney Spoons collection cookbook. It's family friendly food that I find everyone loves. Lots of recipes that are comfort food (like breaded or BBQ chicken) but in a slimmer version. I've never yet had kids reject a meal
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    It has taken this long for me to remember the name of this blog. Weelicious has family approved recipes.
    https://weelicious.com/
  • tinhproweb365
    tinhproweb365 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom, I find these are simple and healthy recipes for single mom cooking! And today I tryed to learn to love fish. - A healthy recipe from MEAL5 website.

"Many of us have had bad experiences eating fish that wasn’t very fresh (and was fishy tasting) or fish that wasn’t prepared correctly. The trick to fish is to buy it fresh and never overcook it. This salmon with corn relish is a super simple recipe (just 4 ingredients) that takes no time to make. Be sure and make up a batch of my secret spice recipe (video is available on my website) which adds flavor and not calories. Once the fish is in the oven you’ll have just enough time to put the relish together before the fish is done. Finish the dish by squeezing fresh lime juice over the top. Yum! It’s a tasty, healthy, fresh dinner plan."

https://meal5.com/simple-healthy-recipes/how-make-baked-salmon-corn-relish
  • kristinak48
    kristinak48 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids but a super picky eater of a boyfriend! So I feel ya! I use Pinterest A LOT. I alter the recipes to his liking and a lot of the time make myself a veggie on the side. You can still make the food they like, just better versions of them. Pinterest is great for it.