Mediterranean Diet

Options
Is anyone following a Mediterranean diet? My doctor recommended it for me. So far I love this way of eating, but I am very new to following it.

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Of all documented diets I've read/heard about the Mediterranean Diet most closely matches what I eat. I eat more meat than it suggests, I think.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I think a lot of people eat in some ways similar to the Med Diet, it strikes me as quite similar to what I think of as basic healthy eating. (It's how I eat more often than not, although I try to eat somewhat seasonally and live in a colder climate, so there are differences (I don't drink, for example, so no red wine) and I experiment with things.)

Here's a good site: https://oldwayspt.org/history-mediterranean-diet-pyramid
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    It's a pretty common way of eating. A few of the points could be debated.. like the need for olive oil, or lots of grains.. but overall it's a good start for those who are new to eating healthy. Do you have any questions about it? Why did your Dr recommended it?
  • AbbyPort89
    AbbyPort89 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This diet was recommended to me by my doctor as well. Borderline cholesterol issues. I'm just way to picky of an eater to figure it out and make it work for me. I've been limiting red meat to 1-2 times a month and sticking to leaner meats.
  • msdemmie
    msdemmie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Think it is pretty close to what we eat, low on butter, only use olive oil, very very few processed foods - local fresh food, fruit vegetables, fish and seafood.
  • Flyingfingers51
    Flyingfingers51 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Over the years, I think I've tried every fad diet out there. But I think the Mediterranean Diet is the real deal!! I lost more weight, more quickly, felt more full, most of the time, and felt better. And it's a way of eating I can live with from now on. Good luck!!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Over the years, I think I've tried every fad diet out there. But I think the Mediterranean Diet is the real deal!! I lost more weight, more quickly, felt more full, most of the time, and felt better. And it's a way of eating I can live with from now on. Good luck!!

People around the Mediteranean have been eating this way for centuries. Thankfully it doesn't fall into the category of "fad diets". It is extremely creative, so you can adjust it to your tastes. When I was a kid we had what was called a "well ballanced meal", and I find the Med diet to be just that. One can definately eat this way forever. Congratulations. I'm glad you've found something that works so well for you.
  • sannasb1
    sannasb1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose: My heart doctor recommended it because my cholesterol was high. I told him I was so confused with all the different diets I've tried and he said the only one is the Mediteranean .

snowflake954: I did Paleo for a couple of years and then tried Trim Healthy Mama. But my problem was I didn't stick to it and felt deprived. I am learning to pick and choose the foods I like. For instance I do love olives and feta cheese. But I have to watch my sodium. I blow up like a balloon.

Flyingfingers51: I have to agree with you on this one. But I've just started yesterday, so we'll see how well I loose. But your post is encouraging.

lemurcat12: I just found that site yesterday. I haven't looked at it much, but it has tons of information.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    sannasb1 wrote: »
    Cherimoose: My heart doctor recommended it because my cholesterol was high. I told him I was so confused with all the different diets I've tried and he said the only one is the Mediteranean .

snowflake954: I did Paleo for a couple of years and then tried Trim Healthy Mama. But my problem was I didn't stick to it and felt deprived. I am learning to pick and choose the foods I like. For instance I do love olives and feta cheese. But I have to watch my sodium. I blow up like a balloon.

Flyingfingers51: I have to agree with you on this one. But I've just started yesterday, so we'll see how well I loose. But your post is encouraging.

lemurcat12: I just found that site yesterday. I haven't looked at it much, but it has tons of information.

If you cook for yourself start looking at lentils, beans and chickpeas. These can be eaten alone, or with rice or pasta. They are very filling. If you need to watch your salt intake, doing your own cooking means you control how much you put in. I like a salad with olives and feta cheese, but I don't add more salt, since they are already salty. The family I married into is from Puglia in southern Italy. The cooking is generally simple, but quality ingredients. Have fun with it and cook things you like.
  • sannasb1
    Options
    Does anyone want to start a group for this? If so, what should we call it. I need to be connected to stay on track.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    That’s how I eat. No meat, but lots of veggies, seafood, fruit, nuts, beans, yogurt, seeds, whole grains, coffee and a little red wine.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Growing up in an Italian family this diet is my default setting. I've varied it and adapted it over the years but who could not love lots of fresh fruits and veggies, healthy meat and fish portions, nuts and cheeses and olive oil as the basis of your diet?
  • sannasb1
    Options
    I am finding out how much good stuff is out there to eat. I never had fruit with my meals, but I do now.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think a lot of people eat in some ways similar to the Med Diet, it strikes me as quite similar to what I think of as basic healthy eating. (It's how I eat more often than not, although I try to eat somewhat seasonally and live in a colder climate, so there are differences (I don't drink, for example, so no red wine) and I experiment with things.)

This is the closest to the way I eat as well, and I LOVE the oldways website. I may have even been the first to post it here. Thanks for posting it again!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I eat a vegetarian version of this diet, minus the wine since I don't drink. Just a heavy emphasis on lots of fruits and veggies, sources of healthy fats, whole grains, nuts, and seeds. I truly enjoy the food I eat too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

This is the closest to the way I eat as well, and I LOVE the oldways website. I may have even been the first to post it here. Thanks for posting it again!

I think I did discover the site from one of your posts, and I really like it, so thanks!
  • meagan8376
    meagan8376 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Update ?
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    This most resembles my diet, except that I eat more red meat than suggested, don't drink wine and need to eat more fish ;)