Holiday Maintanence

Options
Hello everyone!
So after going a little crazy at a wedding, a trip to my sister’s house, and Thanksgiving, I was up 5 lbs. it was probably mostly water weight because now I’m back down to my maintanence weight. I have reached this range twice before and am not good maintanence!! I need some tips for staying in my maintence range- especially during the holidays.

FYI I am 28, 5 ft. 3, maintanence range of 120-125, and eat 1600 calories/day. I am currently 123 and am going to increase my daily calories by 100/day every week until I start to maintain and not lose.

This is what got me in trouble last time- I eat great when I’m dieting but have issues controlling myself, especially when I’m eating out!! Successful maintainers- tell me your tips!!

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Keep logging, keep weighing yourself, learn to recover from overindulgences. For me, the diet never stops. But, I'm rarely hungry while on maintenance, so no complaints.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Things I try and do which seem to work pretty well...
    - Keep control of breakfast. Get your protein in early while you can, and don't waste calories that you might want later in the day! Aim for mostly protein and veg, preferably not too much fat as that's bound to come with the fun stuff later.
    - Decide if you want to spend your calories on alcohol or food. If you don't want to abstain from drinking completely, set yourself a limit and stick to it. Easier said than done, I know, but possible.
    - Pick no more than ONE meal to let loose at. In my family, Christmas day normally involves a full on traditional lunch plus some kind of buffet with cheese and cake in the evening. Going full out at both would be a bad idea. I have to pick my battle.
    - Get out for a walk. Drag other people with you. There's nothing better than coming back to a warm house after a walk in the cold! If you're in a house with lots of other guests around etc, it's also really helpful to get everyone out the way for a while.
    - Bank calories in advance. If you have one big event in a week, then go a little lighter on the other days.
    - Save calories for your hangover. Make sure you factor that bacon sandwich and epic latte (or whatever) in when you plan for the week!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    The only way is unfortunately to keep track and learn to say no, bank calories, and starve yourself during the day if you plan to indulge at dinner, lol.
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    For me, maintenance is maintenance in all aspects. I go through holidays, birthdays, and special occasions eating as I always do. It is rare that I overindulge. And I am not white-knuckling it during those times. If I see something that I would never have at home or in a restaurant or I'm on vacation, and I want it, I eat it, but I have found that small portions satisfy me far more than large ones. For example, a slice of pizza is fine for me, rather than half of one. But even then, having been on maintenance for three years and on weight loss for 2.5 before that, I find that my body doesn't crave unhealthy foods and if it does, and I give it what it asks for, it reacts by not feeling well physically from "foreign" foods. I guess what I am saying is that old adage that this is a lifestyle is so true, at least for me, and so I go into special occasions feeling just the same as I do every day.
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    p.s. I'd also recommend one of the weight trending apps. I use Happy Scale. It is really helpful and keeps things in perspective.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    None of us got fat only over-eating a handful of days a year. I plan on going (way) over (but not gorging myself until uncomfortable) on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Years Eve.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I spent every day of my weight loss journey, which took 2 1/2 years, thinking about maintenance, trying to figure out what I had done wrong before to gain back weight and what I would do different this time. I realized I never had a "plan" for maintenance. I just thought that because I had worked so hard to lose, I would be able to keep it off! I came with a plan based on what I've read here on MFP and reasons people regain weight. In the end, it's alarmingly simple:
    1. Set yourself a 5-10 lb maintenance range. When you get to the top or bottom of the range, adjust your calories by 100-200 per day until you're back in range. Even if you think it's water weight, when you hit the top of the range, make adjustments. It might be for a week or a month.
    2. Weigh frequently. I weigh daily and log in a trending app like Happy Scale, Libra, or Trendweight. I actually use 2 apps on different devices.
    3. Practice portion control. At big events, take about half the portion you think you want and don't take seconds. Limit bread and drinks to 1 or 2. Split desserts whenever possible or take half home.
    4. If your activity level changes, adjust your calories accordingly. Do this regardless of the reason for the change in activity - choice, life stress, illness, or injury. If you move less, you must eat less. You do not gain weight because of the illness or injury, you gain weight because you do not adjust calories in for the change in calories out.

So far I have successfully maintained to the pound for 14 months, with fluctuations as much as 8 lbs, due mostly to travel. I've gained 2 lbs muscle and lost 2 lbs fat per dunk tank.

So much yes. I wish I had spent time planning for maintenance the first go round. I originally lost 54 pounds, and then gained them back (plus 8 more). I'm now about 20 pounds down again, and I am definitely thinking about maintenance. It took me 3 years to even start trying again. I don't want to do this again!
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Keep logging, keep weighing yourself, learn to recover from overindulgences. For me, the diet never stops. But, I'm rarely hungry while on maintenance, so no complaints.

This. Plus, I'm type A so I enjoy logging and prepping my food. I enjoy a treat meal once a week that I don't worry about and so far it hasn't been a problem.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I just got home from a "girls weekend". We had dinners at amazing restaurants where I ordered fish and extra vegetables both times, and had the best tiramisu I've ever eaten. We didn't snack all day. We walked miles around the city (btw, on Saturday one friend's fitbit said 13,000 steps and the other friend's said 19,000. How does that happen?). I drank some wine. Lots of wine in fact. And this week I will work hard at the gym and eat at a bit of a deficit till the scale is where it should be again.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to me, this is exactly how maintenance is supposed to be.

Agree completely. The holidays really aren't much different for me than any other time of the year. There are always temptations to be had. It's about making choices that won't leave you feeling deprived, yet not going off the deep end. For example, when dining out I always choose the option that is the best combination of healthy and appealing. I am not going to order a dry chicken breast with rice and steamed veggies just because it's the lowest calorie option, but I can be just as satisfied by a good ciopinno in an Italian restaurant over a thick, rich bowl of fettuccine alfredo. And then I will split a dessert with my husband rather than eat an entire one by myself. Nowhere here do I feel like I have given anything up.

When we go to my in-laws for the holidays, my MIL always has a huge plate of cookies on the counter that she constantly refills. Instead of grabbing a cookie every time I walk by the plate, I pick one or two of my favorites and sit down with a cup of coffee or teas as an afternoon snack. This is a treat outside of my normal routine, but I am not going to pack on 5 lbs because of it.

Finally, keep moving. It's huge. I try to keep up with my daily exercise routines during the holidays, but when we are travelling and spending time with family, it's not always easy. I suggest family activities that include lots of moving around, like taking a walk to look at Christmas lights or doing a holiday 5K run. I always volunteer to help with the dished, play with the kids, take the dog for a walk, etc.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I usually don’t eat out much because I prefer my own cooking. However, when I do go out to eat with my children and husband I ask for a second plate and split my meal in half. Due to having GURD, and a hiatal hernia I can’t eat big meals.
    If you are worried about too many calories you can do the same thing. Just because restaurants serve up bigger portions doesn’t mean you have to eat it all at one time.
  • gnu4liberty
    gnu4liberty Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am 5’9” and 62 yrs. I currently weigh 127.8 lbs. I said my goal was 127, but I am trying to get to 125 for a cushion. I was there a month ago, but had a birthday and starting eating desserts. I am back to strict calorie counting and eating more veggies.