How do you pronounce "poutine"?

pou-teen
    or
    pou-tin

or some other way I don't know?
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    The pronunciation guide says Pou-teen. So I'm confused, which is it?
  • ardnae
    ardnae Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    As a french Canadian, it is definitely Pou-tin.
  • KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have always said "Pou-Teen" becasue thats how the people that run the poutine restaurant say it lol
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    I pronounce it Pou-tine just because that option wasn't listed.
  • TeKr1967
    TeKr1967 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Tastes of Canada --- Timbits ( Tim Hortons ) and Poutine ( any chip wagon on a cold winter day ). Not that healthy but sometime you just have to indulge ...

Also, any of the following chocolate treats: Coffee Crisp, Aero, Smarties, Mr. Big, Jersey Milk
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Please be careful what you say about Tim Hortons and their coffee and Tim Bits around Canadians. I complained that Timmies coffee was rank on the their facebook page once, because it is rank. I got death threats.

Canadians don't play around when it comes to Timmies coffee.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    TeKr1967 wrote: »
    Tastes of Canada --- Timbits ( Tim Hortons ) and Poutine ( any chip wagon on a cold winter day ). Not that healthy but sometime you just have to indulge ...

Also, any of the following chocolate treats: Coffee Crisp, Aero, Smarties, Mr. Big, Jersey Milk

Don't forget the Ketchup chips, All dressed chips and the Nanaimo bars. I also highly recommend smoked meat sandwiches from Montreal. And coming from a vegetarian, that's quite the recommendation.
  • KeithWhiteJr
    Options

Don't forget the Ketchup chips, All dressed chips and the Nanaimo bars. I also highly recommend smoked meat sandwiches from Montreal. And coming from a vegetarian, that's quite the recommendation.

Those are all tastes of Canada? Did I move to Canada and not know it?? :o
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    How do you pronounce "poutine"?

pou-teen
    or
    pou-tin

or some other way I don't know?

I pronounce it poutine

So Poo-Tsin?
  • Lipsmahoney
    Lipsmahoney Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Timbit ..... aka Fat balls dipped in sugar
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of Timbits. But which would you say and why?

Donut holes or Timbits?

I've never heard of Timbits before this thread. Seems it is specific to one Canadian chain store.
    I would say doughnut holes because that is what they are and always have been. If I were ordering some at a store that called them powdered dough comets I would call them powdere dough comets while I was there.
    I prefer doughnut vs donut for spelling.

I don't call all hamburgers Whoppers or all soda's Coke.
  • andfivesixseveneight
    Options
    Tim bits are great. Beaver tails are transcendent.
  • KeithWhiteJr
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I've never heard of Timbits. But which would you say and why?

Donut holes or Timbits?

I've never heard of Timbits before this thread. Seems it is specific to one Canadian chain store.
    I would say doughnut holes because that is what they are and always have been. If I were ordering some at a store that called them powdered dough comets I would call them powdere dough comets while I was there.
    I prefer doughnut vs donut for spelling.

I don't call all hamburgers Whoppers or all soda's Coke.

I live in the US and we have Tim Hortons all over the place! My kids ask for Tim Bits all the time.

Wait... some people call all hamburgers "Whoppers?"