Juggling Adulting and Weight loss?

Options

Replies

• BetsyBidez1105
    BetsyBidez1105 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    naomi8888 wrote: »
    I eat 1000-1300/day (normally 1100), and I've lost almost 35 pounds in the past ~4 months. Are you weighing your food or just guessing?

ETA: I think I've been to the gym less than 5 times in that time frame as well.

Oh no, I don't guess. I've been reading all my labels, measuring and counting my calories. At my old job I used to walk to my car at least 40 min a day and take at least 10 flights of stairs. I had a hospital job where I was constantly walking or speed walking all day long. Now I have a desk job, and I commute 2 hours a day. My activity level and endurance is a joke now. My body isn't dropping weight just with cutting calories.

It seems very strange that you wouldn't be losing when you're consuming around 1000 - 1400 calories a day regardless of activity.

Anyway back to your original post, I think a 40 hour week and travel time is pretty standard for adults (at least you don't have kids to look after too!). It sounds like you've had a stressful year but once you prioritise weight loss you will find the time and energy and will to get in shape. I read a book called "...Then Just Stay Fat". Check it out if you need a kick in the backside to get moving.

I will look into that book, thanks for the advice!
  • BetsyBidez1105
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Any suggestions on how to create a good exercise routine in between a busy schedule? We are trying to cut back in expense so we don't have a gym membership.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Did you ever enjoy going to a gym? I stopped buying lattes every day and used the money I saved to join a cheap gym. My friend found a gym on her route to work, uses the machines and takes a shower, then drives to work. She says it's a good start to her day. Maybe if you had a short elliptical workout in the morning three days a week, and a walk with your dogs in the evening, you'd feel better.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I understand that you want to cut back expenses. But right now, and maybe for the next three months or so, you need help to heal your body and lose some of the stress. Look into a cleaning service for your house and maybe a dog-walker, to take a few responsibilities away for a short time. You'll get a lot more out of walking -- or any gentle exercise -- when you're not feeling you have to hurry home with the dogs and clean the bathroom and make dinner.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Walk the dogs before and after work and before bed. Several short walks are better than none. If you can get your husband to go with you, it's great bonding time for you as a couple, since you can talk about anything and everything. On weekends, do active things like bike rides, hiking, skiing, etc. As much as you can, cook simple meals or meals that will last for several days in order to avoid fast food/takeaway.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    Thing is, you have to prioritize yourself first. I went through all what you’re going through. But, health is the main thing. If you don’t have that, you can’t take care of anyone or anything else. So, prioritize you first, then everything else after. What will happen, over a period of many years is that you will have to make decisions...like, 3 dogs, or maybe just 1? Long commute, or maybe move close to work or find work close to home. Like, you start saying, “I don’t have time for all this commuting and dog stuff. I need to fix this.” But, that won’t happen until you first make time for you. You come first, other stuff follows. It will be really hard in the beginning. But, if you dedicate yourself to it, you’ll figure it out.

Yes, I used to work in a glamorous mansion in South Beach...but between the hour commute each way and my ****** boss, the toll on my quality of life just wasn't worth it. I've whittled down my commute until now I work from home. Yes, I could make more money if I were willing to work in a nearby city, but I'm just not ever going to put myself through commute hell again.
  • ms_maruska
    ms_maruska Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Talk to your husband about how you feel, see what he thinks and how he feels about it all since you say he also works a lot, plan what you can ahead (for yourself), plan together the things you can do together or how you can split the tasks. Because you are together in all of this, you should do the organizational aspect together. It's ok if it's bumpy at first :smile:

Most importantly, give yourself time to adjust to all the changes and they are big changes. Adulting doesn't need to be perfect in all areas of life, reprioritize, your house doesn't need to be immaculate all the time, your health is more important.
  • BetsyBidez1105
    Options
    Did you ever enjoy going to a gym? I stopped buying lattes every day and used the money I saved to join a cheap gym. My friend found a gym on her route to work, uses the machines and takes a shower, then drives to work. She says it's a good start to her day. Maybe if you had a short elliptical workout in the morning three days a week, and a walk with your dogs in the evening, you'd feel better.

I completely stopped drinking Starbucks after getting a kuerig and no more fast food. I need to confirm with my Dr if I can be on the elliptical but doesn't sound too bad.
  • BetsyBidez1105
    Options
    ZoneFive wrote: »
    I understand that you want to cut back expenses. But right now, and maybe for the next three months or so, you need help to heal your body and lose some of the stress. Look into a cleaning service for your house and maybe a dog-walker, to take a few responsibilities away for a short time. You'll get a lot more out of walking -- or any gentle exercise -- when you're not feeling you have to hurry home with the dogs and clean the bathroom and make dinner.

That would be nice, but I find it hard to justify spending on those services when I'm already paying between $140-215 a week for my physical therapy. I guess I just feel guilty spending all this $.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    Thing is, you have to prioritize yourself first. I went through all what you’re going through. But, health is the main thing. If you don’t have that, you can’t take care of anyone or anything else. So, prioritize you first, then everything else after. What will happen, over a period of many years is that you will have to make decisions...like, 3 dogs, or maybe just 1? Long commute, or maybe move close to work or find work close to home. Like, you start saying, “I don’t have time for all this commuting and dog stuff. I need to fix this.” But, that won’t happen until you first make time for you. You come first, other stuff follows. It will be really hard in the beginning. But, if you dedicate yourself to it, you’ll figure it out.

This.

You can make things easier for yourself. Unless you live in a very rural area or have a very high paying/specialized job, you can most likely get a job closer to home with similar pay and reduce the commute.

Also, consider giving the dogs up for adoption. You are away 50+ hours a week and your husband 60+. What type of life is this for the dogs? Plus, I would be pretty sure 3 dogs adds considerably to your household cleaning needs. Remember, the old saying, If you love someone/something you might have to set them free".

Also, the biggest factor in weight loss is the calories in. You can reduce that below gain/maintenance and not exercise and lose weight. This can be done regardless of your job and schedule.

Best of luck.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give is what worked for me...i put off taking care of myself and losing weight for year because I was too busy, ect...
    I decided a few months ago to dedicate one month to myself. Obviously still doing all the adulting:-) but I promised myself that I would go to the gym every day, even if it meant getting up super early. I would eat healthy even if it meant eating differently than the rest of the family. I told myself no excuses, this had to be done. If after a month it was unbearable then I would stop. The first three weeks were brutal, adjusting to this new routine. Now I love it. And it has made me a better adult. I'm happier and healthier. Find something that works for your schedule and commit to it for a bit to test it out. If it doesn't work, come up with a new plan. Eventually you'll find something that fits in to your lifestyle!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options

That would be nice, but I find it hard to justify spending on those services when I'm already paying between $140-215 a week for my physical therapy. I guess I just feel guilty spending all this $.

Does your health insurance not cover physical therapy?
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Does your health insurance not cover physical therapy?

If she has a high deductable plan, it's possible that is the cost out of pocket if she hasn't reached it yet. :/ We have a society focused on health insurance rather than health care.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Having never seen "adult" used as a verb, I naturally assumed this thread was about combining weight loss with extramarital relations.
    Any suggestions on how to create a good exercise routine in between a busy schedule? We are trying to cut back in expense so we don't have a gym membership.
    So of course, tantric exercise leaps to mind.
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have a long commute through terrible traffic so what I now do is getup at 4 45am and I'm in the car at 5am. I then get to the office by 6am (instead of the 90 min. to 2 hour drive if I left at 6 30) and I stop at a nearby gym for a morning workout and shower and then I'm at my desk by 8. I never worked out in the morning before and I was one of those people who said I couldn't workout in the mornings. I was wrong AND I found it energized me for the day. Still have to watch your food intake of course and eat healthy. Good Luck!
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    And FYI...see if you have a Planet Fitness nearby. Their standard membership is $10 a month.