Do you remember things that people tell you?

Options
highwood1968
highwood1968 Posts: 61 Member
For example, if a coworker/friend tells you something that is going on in their life (an event, something about their kids/family, etc.) do you remember and ask them about it later to see what happened, how something is going, etc.?

I always find that I will ask/followup with people so how did this or that turn out, what happened, etc. yet I find that it is rarely reciprocated. SOmetimes it is someone in which I have stated something is happening with me or my family and same conversation they talk about what is going on with them or their family and I always will ask them at a later date how everything went yet I don't get the same in return.

Just a little pet peeve of the day!

Replies

• Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    I'm very forgetful. Not intentionally but sometimes I just don't remember. I don't mean to offend by not asking. Like poster above mentioned, do you and don't expect anything. Spare yourself the disappointment.
  • Nikitazilla
    Nikitazilla Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm going to get blasted for this I know. But the fact that you're even noticing this and thinking about it concerns me. If I knew a person whose thought process was like this, I would not engage them in any conversation.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    OP, what you're doing is called being mindful and present. Something many people don't practice anymore because we're all caught up in our own goings-on. This is a pet peeve of mine, as well. Not necessarily others asking me follow up questions, mainly because I'm very private and don't talk about my business.

But, it DOES bother me when I'm talking to someone and I know their mind is elsewhere. That's why I make conscious effort to listen only to the person who is talking to me and not let my mind wander. I figured, I can't get upset with others without practicing it myself.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    For example, if a coworker/friend tells you something that is going on in their life (an event, something about their kids/family, etc.) do you remember and ask them about it later to see what happened, how something is going, etc.?

I always find that I will ask/followup with people so how did this or that turn out, what happened, etc. yet I find that it is rarely reciprocated. SOmetimes it is someone in which I have stated something is happening with me or my family and same conversation they talk about what is going on with them or their family and I always will ask them at a later date how everything went yet I don't get the same in return.

Depends.
    I often don't remember to ask coworker/friend type people specific questions in the moment because I suck at conversation but that doesn't mean I don't remember that they said their grandma was dying. Just means I am kicking myself later that day.
    But maybe I just don't want to bring *kitten* up if they don't bring it up first. I mean if I ask how is everything with you and yours and they say "fine" I might assume they don't want to talk about stuff that was bothering them last time we spoke.
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options

I'm a social idiot. It wouldn't occur to me or I would think it was prying and it's none of my business.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

what?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Just one pet peeve of the day? How many do you have in a days span?

But my answer is no.
  • highwood1968
    highwood1968 Posts: 61 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

I am surprised that a few folks would not be bothered by that...to me if something is going on with you whether it be good or bad and you tell a friend about it, would you not expect to be asked about it to see how things are going. To me that shows an interest and concern about others. SOrry but we all know people that in order to keep a conversation going it has to be all about them.....I know a few of those. I know people, that I have known for years, and I know every single thing about their kids/husband and not once have they asked me what is going on in my life, it is always about them.
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I am surprised that a few folks would not be bothered by that...to me if something is going on with you whether it be good or bad and you tell a friend about it, would you not expect to be asked about it to see how things are going. To me that shows an interest and concern about others. SOrry but we all know people that in order to keep a conversation going it has to be all about them.....I know a few of those. I know people, that I have known for years, and I know every single thing about their kids/husband and not once have they asked me what is going on in my life, it is always about them.

Oh I know people like that as well. It does irk me. I just stop talking to them as much as possible because I can tell that they only want to talk about themselves and I just happen to be the person they are talking at this time. If I start talking about myself as well they all of a sudden have something else to do. My initial answer was directed at more casual acquaintances but a real friend should probably give a crap about your life at least a little bit.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options

I have a really good memory and often remember even small details people mention to me.
    I often don't bring things up that were previously discussed because I don't want to seem creepy for remembering all the details of people's lives.

I also don't enjoy conversations typically, I feel awkward or am distracted with "what I'd rather be doing".
    I like conversing in a text based format much better, I can express myself better and I can focus on the conversation.

I don't get upset if people don't follow up with things I've said...I usually regret giving out any personal info in a conversation, what I'm thinking or feeling. I'm glad to never speak of it again!

Having said that, for the few people I really care about, I do like it when they remember what I say, so follow up is greatly appreciated with them.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options

Keep in mind people are different. I don't like talking about personal things at work or work things outside of work. If you ask me questions, I'll answer to be polite but I wouldn't reciprocate because that's only going to keep that conversation going.
  • MrSith
    MrSith Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    My memory is one of the best things I have.......and it is one of the reasons I dislike others so much because they say stupid *kitten*.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Do I remember what?
  • sw33tp3a1
    sw33tp3a1 Posts: 5,065 Member
    Options
    My memory sucks so bad but I remember conversations with people that matter to me.
  • NewlifeinNW
    NewlifeinNW Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options
    I don't remember everything I tell myself
  • Big_LittleMomma
    Big_LittleMomma Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My memory is terrible. However, if I notice you make a point to remember little things about me, I will always make sure to do the same.