Chinese buffet

Options
I am going to lunch at a Chinese buffet on Sunday with a friend. Any tips on what to eat? I am a vegetarian. I know the sodium will be bad, so I mainly want to stay within my cals/fat.

Replies

• cutiekaylaa
    Options
    Try to stick to the salad bar. That's what I do. :)
  • leix
    leix Posts: 176
    Options
    chinese buffet is cheat so whatever i like :D yum yum
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Just head on over to the Chinese broccoli patch. And if you eat fish, indulge.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    * portion control (pick a smaller plate if they have, so you don't put too much at a time, always can go back if needed)
    * eat slow
    * drink water in between bites
    * go easy on rice, noodle or buns
    * enjoy your vegi
    * have some fruits
    * stop eating when you are not hungry any more
    * enjoy
  • birdielosingit
    birdielosingit Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My local Chinese Buffet has really yummy sauteed mushrooms and string beans. They also have a small sushi bar, which is sometimes veg and sometimes not. Mine has a grill where you select items off of a raw bar and they cook it for you- you could do an all veggie bowl. That is all I can think of off hand.
  • BIGBATBASTARD
    Options
    no advice......i dont stand a chance in a Chinese buffet
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    ask if they have brown rice- better than white. You may also have to ask if there is fish in the sauces if you don't eat fish. Look for tofu and veggies.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

Yeah, there's a lot of stamina required.
  • misschoy
    misschoy Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Do they have a grill there? I always used to pick out my veggies and chicken and have them grill it up on the hibachi grill. Then portion control! I'm not going to deny myself food, then I'll binge later.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    When I eat Chinese I just eat without worrying about it. I'm not sure there's a low cal/healthy option at most Chinese buffets. My only advice would be to maybe watch your portions, other then that....enjoy!
  • BIGBATBASTARD
    Options

Yeah, there's a lot of stamina required.

i got the stamina, I think that's the problem
  • Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    :happy: Thanks everyone! Lots of great ideas. I'm not sure what this buffet is going to be like. I think I will stick with veggies and some rice and hopefully they will have tofu
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    :happy: Thanks everyone! Lots of great ideas. I'm not sure what this buffet is going to be like. I think I will stick with veggies and some rice and hopefully they will have tofu

tofu is a great choice, but not the deep fry ones, they are really high calories and bad for you.

I don't usually see beans in buffet either...
  • savethecat
    savethecat Posts: 290 Member
    Options

Same here.

Chinese buffet = kryptonite.

I just stay away.