How much gain

Options
So I have been working on recomp over the last 13 weeks. Apparently I'm not doing things quite right as I have put on weight. I have gained about 2.6lbs over those 13 weeks. My question is, how much of that could be reasonably expected to be muscle? I am not doing heavy training, I am lifting 2x a week for about an hour, and running 4 days a week for most of it. I changed recently to running 6 days and lifting 2. I am female, 34 years old. The internets says I can gain between .12 and .25 lbs a week, but I really don't have any idea what is normal for what I am doing.

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Lifting only twice a week isn't going to produce typical results as it wouldnt be enough stress to produce adaptation of the muscles.

Other factors that will vary results is how manly and carnivorous you are to produce muscle synthesis.
  • Okohme
    Okohme Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    If you gained 2.6 lbs in 13 weeks, you've been lean bulking at a slow pace which is still good since you're a female, that's a weight gain of 0.2 lbs per week. Lifting twice per week is not idea, I would go for something like 3-4 days and reducing your cardio too, you don't want to be training 6 days per week AND lifting 3-4 days per week.

I would start with a program with something like this since you seem to be a beginner
    https://aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/

And once you learn how to do your exercises with proper form and that you feel you are ready for the next step, then I recommend this workout program
    https://aworkoutroutine.com/the-muscle-building-workout-routine/

Mind you, you're not obligated to pick the workout programs I linked you, I was just giving you two good examples, there are many good programs out there too.

The thing is, that my running is really my priority and the weightlifting is supplemental/cross-training/secondary. At some point I will put more focus onto strength building but now is not that time. I'm really just curious if anyone has any idea what amount of muscle gain I might actually have relative to the amount that I seem to have put on. For my running goals I have to run 6 days a week, to hit 30 miles, given time constraints for sessions.

Chieflrg wrote: »
    Lifting only twice a week isn't going to produce typical results as it wouldnt be enough stress to produce adaptation of the muscles.

Other factors that will vary results is how manly and carnivorous you are to produce muscle synthesis.

That's sort of what I was thinking, but I really have no idea what atypical results might be. As far as being manly...? I'd say 4.5/10...? I'm female but not terribly feminine. I'm a vegetarian but I shoot for 120+ grams pf protein on lifting days, maybe 8o on other days. Mostly yogurt, eggs, and protein bars.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you want to recomp, it needs to be your priority.

i would put 2.6lbs over 13 weeks in the 'normal fluctuation' category personally.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

i would put 2.6lbs over 13 weeks in the 'normal fluctuation' category personally.

I would add a word to your first sentence....
    if you want to recomp quickly, it needs to be your priority.

Rates of muscle gain are very personal and even if you gave all the information such training status, programming etc. your genetics could be average, below or above average.

You might like to read this article but remember as a female you will need to halve the numbers for males in the tables.
    https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html/

But also note the assumptions around "proper training" and your training clearly isn't optimal for muscle growth, maybe quarter the number in the tables? (Guess.)

Another "but" is that some of the gain may not be either fat or muscle, could be some non-muscle LBM.

TL:DR - nobody knows what you may have achieved! :)
  • Okohme
    Options

That thought occured to me too, but its been a steady increase, and is based off of weekly averages, not single weigh ins.

sijomial wrote: »

Rates of muscle gain are very personal and even if you gave all the information such training status, programming etc. your genetics could be average, below or above average.

You might like to read this article but remember as a female you will need to halve the numbers for males in the tables.
    https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html/

But also note the assumptions around "proper training" and your training clearly isn't optimal for muscle growth, maybe quarter the number in the tables? (Guess.)

Another "but" is that some of the gain may not be either fat or muscle, could be some non-muscle LBM.

OKay, thanks, Ill look at that chart. . ..what would non-muscle LBM be?

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Okohme wrote: »

That thought occured to me too, but its been a steady increase, and is based off of weekly averages, not single weigh ins.

Water, bone, food
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Water, bone, food

+ extra glycogen and it's associated water from increased running. Everything's a bit of a maybe with such a small change over a long duration.
    To put such a small weight change in proportion I lost 4lbs in 24hrs this week (water and a holiday food baby mostly!).
  • Okohme
    Options

Water, bone, food

I did not know I could add bone at this point in my life.
  • Okohme
    Options

Water, bone, food

+ extra glycogen and it's associated water from increased running. Everything's a bit of a maybe with such a small change over a long duration.
    To put such a small weight change in proportion I lost 4lbs in 24hrs this week (water and a holiday food baby mostly!).

Oh, yeah. I know all about water weight fluctuations, that's why I am using weekly averages. The extra water weight for extra miles does make some sense.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Water, bone, food

Strength training can add or maintain bone density and thus weight(over time). And yes at any age(prior to death)
  • Okohme
    Options

Water, bone, food

Strength training can add or maintain bone density and thus weight(over time). And yes at any age(prior to death)

TIL.
  • edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Can't be sure whether that is a good/normal result, as your lifting program is not specified. You say you aren't lifting heavy. That's fine. But you need to sufficiently stress your muscles in order to produce muscular adaptation. What that means, for example, is, if you are using a 5lb. dumbell to do squats, you need high volume (=lots of reps). Alternatively, low weights, not as high volume, but high frequency (=number of workouts per week).

Assuming you are doing sufficient volume, the 2.6 lb. gain would be good. If you are using low weights at low volume only twice per week, then the gain is not good.
  • Okohme
    Options
    edickson76 wrote: »
    Can't be sure whether that is a good/normal result, as your lifting program is not specified. You say you aren't lifting heavy. That's fine. But you need to sufficiently stress your muscles in order to produce muscular adaptation. What that means, for example, is, if you are using a 5lb. dumbell to do squats, you need high volume (=lots of reps). Alternatively, low weights, not as high volume, but high frequency (=number of workouts per week).

Assuming you are doing sufficient volume, the 2.6 lb. gain would be good. If you are using low weights at low volume only twice per week, then the gain is not good.

The equipment i have I typically do 3 sets of 15, and most exercises I can do at least that much. My real barometer is the push-ups, which I have been able to increase my number of, albeit slowly. But from what I understand, just because I'm stronger does not mean I have necessarily added muscle.
  • edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    The equipment i have I typically do 3 sets of 15, and most exercises I can do at least that much. My real barometer is the push-ups, which I have been able to increase my number of, albeit slowly. But from what I understand, just because I'm stronger does not mean I have necessarily added muscle.
    Looking like you gained mainly muscle then, so long as you have been progressively increasing the resistance. You can do that by increasing weight or by increasing reps (as you have done on pushups). On the non-pushup exercises, if you have been regularly adding weight and have difficulty reaching the 15 reps, sounds fine. But if you can easily hit 15 reps, haven't added weight, and you are stopping simply because that is "a lot" of reps, you aren't producing adaptation.
  • Okohme
    Options
    edickson76 wrote: »
    Looking like you gained mainly muscle then, so long as you have been progressively increasing the resistance. You can do that by increasing weight or by increasing reps (as you have done on pushups). On the non-pushup exercises, if you have been regularly adding weight and have difficulty reaching the 15 reps, sounds fine. But if you can easily hit 15 reps, haven't added weight, and you are stopping simply because that is "a lot" of reps, you aren't producing adaptation.

It may be I need to add in some weight on a couple of my exercises. Thanks for the help!