I'm thinking about getting a trainer. Talk some sense into me.

Options
I just don't feel like riding lately if it's raining, or if the pavement is wet. And I live in Seattle. I'll be in better shape for my spring classics if I can bring myself to ride indoors. I haven't really looked into it in that much detail, I know the basics, and I'm hoping for some advice figuring this all out.

I have a power meter in the bike, so I don't need a trainer to measured it.

I have thru-axles, front and back. I imagine that's going to limit my choices, but TA is becoming more common in road.

Any advice on direct drive vs using my own wheel? (And maybe this is a dumb question, but I had to get my shifting adjusted when I changed cassette, how is that gonna work?)

I don't think Zwift would be my thing. Screens are what I bike to get away from. We have a garden, I can open a door to outside and set up behind some fans, watch the rain come down, let my mind wander.

Any thoughts/advice?

Replies

• jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Trainers are hard to sit on if you love riding outside as they are really only for training or hitting specific goals. Sitting and spinning without distractions is pretty painful for most. From your post it does not seem like you see any point. If you want to try get a cheap one, if you think it is ok then I would definitely get an smart trainer, I have 2 and love them both.

I do 300-400 hours a year on the trainer, I really enjoy how fit I become when spring hits but I have clear goals that drag me through 4 hours on the trainer...
  • only6icecubes
    only6icecubes Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Rollers.
  • jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Rollers.

Why rollers? Have you used the new smart trainers?
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    jlklem wrote: »
    Trainers are hard to sit on if you love riding outside as they are really only for training or hitting specific goals. Sitting and spinning without distractions is pretty painful for most. From your post it does not seem like you see any point. If you want to try get a cheap one, if you think it is ok then I would definitely get an smart trainer, I have 2 and love them both.

I do 300-400 hours a year on the trainer, I really enjoy how fit I become when spring hits but I have clear goals that drag me through 4 hours on the trainer...

^^ This sums it up pretty well.

I have a CycleOps fluid trainer (dumb trainer) and use the Trainerroad app or workouts from my coach when I ride. Don't think I"m a Zwift kind of guy ;) I typically follow a workout and also watch Netflix and/or listen to music while I ride the trainer. My typical trainer rides are mostly 1-2 hrs, but several of my friends use their trainers year round for all of their Ironman training. That means they occasionally do 5-6hr sessions on the trainer.

My only suggestions would be that if you do decide to ride indoors, make the training setup easy to use by selecting a comfortable location, (mancave, out by the pool, overlooking the garden, etc) with accessories right at hand (iPad, phone, gels, water, etc) and maybe a Netflix series of music playlist for distraction. Then focus on how fit you will become by the spring outdoor riding season!
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I have a scar on my palm from going down in a wet corner in a race 8 years ago. I've been very hesitant in the rain since.

Cheap trainers work fine (the $150-250 ones from performance are great deals).
    Expensive ones do cool stuff. All the wheel-off ones and most of the $500+ ones very resistance via ANT+. So if you are using Trainerroad or sufferfest, it can very the resistance to meet your power target.
    Wheel-off is quieter.