Scraped my knee and it stings a lot, can I still take a walk?

Options
First time posting in the forums here, hope this is the right place for the subject matter. I was taking a walk just about 30 minutes ago and I tripped, causing me to scrape my knee quite a bit. It's not a very deep wound and it didn't bleed much but it does sting a lot. I went home and disinfected it and applied a bandage on it. Now it still stings and if I walk it pulls on the bandage because of the unfortunate position of the wound, and it's pretty painful. It doesn't hurt as bad when I sit but I can still feel it burn.

I really wanted to take a long walk today since the weather is pretty nice, I was in the mood for an hour and a half walk, but I can barely walk without limping because of the wound. I'm just thinking that I'm being weak and I should just go already but a voice in my head is telling me to let it heal a bit. Should I just go and ignore the pain or do you think it should heal a bit more? I just keep looking outside because I wanna go but it stings when I move, especially when I step down. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Replies

• brookekaczor
    brookekaczor Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Take your walk a little later in the day after it has healed a bit...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Protect that knee so there is no chafing. I think you have the wrong bandage on it. Is it dry? It will pull the scabs right off when you remove it.

I suggest a gel type dressing intended for burns.

https://www.solutionsmedical.net.au/burnaid-first-aid-burn-dressing-10cm-x-10cm
  • lavapixie
    lavapixie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just took the bandage off and it hurts a lot less without it, so I think it was a wrong type of bandage definitely. I applied some Aloe Vera on it and that stung a lot worse than the disinfectant I applied but I can walk a little easier. It still stings though, but even just lightly touching the area around it hurts even more than the open wound, it's probably bruised. I think I might take a walk later since I feel better but I'll keep an eye on it. I'll definitely look into the gel type dressing, it should be available in my local pharmacy.

Thanks a lot for the advice!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    :* Here's kiss to help it feel better. You won't harm yourself if you walk.
    You might try an ice pack for 5 minutes at a time to help any swelling or bruising. Do this several times a day for 1-2 days. Do hot apply heat, it will make it worse. Heat applies to a different type of injury.
  • lavapixie
    Options
    Aww thanks, that's very sweet of you. And yeah it's getting better, it's swelling a bit but it's not too bad. I will try the ice pack trick, thanks :smile:
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    if you can find something that keeps the area comfortable enough, ima suggest that you do walk.

reason why is when my kid was about 12 he got second-degree scald burns all over one kneecap, and nobody told us he should keep the joint moving while the new skin formed. end result was the skin grew back 'tight' and it took him a week or two on top of the initial recovery, just to get full rom back on that knee without the new skin feeling like it was going to tear.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I don't think there was a time during my childhood I didn't have a scraped knee. Cleaned it up,no plaster/bandage and off I went again. I don't think a scraped knee is really that serious.
  • robhunt25
    robhunt25 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Push past the discomfort. It's gonna take time to heal anyway. Don't let something small like that get in the way of your goals.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Of course you can.
  • lavapixie
    Options
    Thank you all for replying, really appreciate it. Now that I look back on it I feel silly for letting it get in the way of walking. Just needed a little bit of reassurance since I'm a bit weak when it comes to pain so I didn't wanna risk it taking longer to heal in case walking would somehow hurt it more. I have applied some aloe vera again and bandages so it speeds up the healing process. I won't let scrapes get in the way of exercise again, thanks you all!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Scrapes, unless bleeding out, should just be left to air out. And even if the bleeding won't stop initially, just plaster/bandage until it stops. Covering it will prolong the healing. I only ever cover something until it stops bleeding.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I scraped up my knee on a labor day hike and can still see the scar. I believe I also bruised the bone or the tendon and it took several weeks for it to feel completely normal again. It didn't get in the way of doing anything. Just one of those things.