Thoughts on “carry” exercises?

Options
megan_elizabeth8
megan_elizabeth8 Posts: 216 Member
edited December 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
What are your thoughts on “carrying” exercises such as farmers carry, suitcase dumbbell carry, waiters carry, etc?
They’re not something that I’ve heard a lot about or really looked into before, and my trainers over the years have never really included any of these in my programs. I’m curious to know whether you guys incorporate them into your weight training and if so whether or not you feel they are beneficial? One article I read went as far as to claim that they were one of the 5 essential elements of any exercise program. Thoughts?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I think they are great and very beneficial especially for building grip strength.. I have done them in the past, but not lately. It depends on my program and what I'm doing, and if I am getting grip stimulation from other exercises (high rep deadlifts, dumbbell lunges, hangs, etc)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I do them and really like them. If I could do just carries, OHP, deadlift, and back work and be balanced I'd be happy.

I don't have a lot of walking around room so I just go back and forth in the basement or up and down the basement stairs.
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I think they're fantastic as both strength and a little cardio, when done with appropriate weights.
    I always want to ask the gym bros that do 90lb dumbbell "shrugs" if they've ever considered grabbing something lighter and doing farmer's walks with them (my gym has a decent area for this). It would not only be more beneficial for trap development, but their grip strength would go up. Throw in some Fat Grip handles and it's a real challenge. I've also been known to grab the bell half of a kettlebell and walk with it as a grip challenge.

Sandbag/keg/Husafell carries are pretty humbling also. I'm a huge advocate for the carry exercises you've mentioned, and would recommend them to everyone and their respective levels of fitness.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    I like them, too. I do them as part of an HIIT workout and as part of circuit training. We mix up the weight - sometimes the trap bar, sometimes kettlebells.
  • michellebirtleeds
    michellebirtleeds Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Farmer's Carry is one of my favorite exercises. I think it's fantastic for desk workers who are at risk for bad posture and back pain. It's great for shoulders, back, and core strength muscles. I can't say enough good things about Farmer's carry.

I sneak it in a a break between lifts--such as in between squats and deadlift.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Carries have several benefits. Personally I think “grip strength” is the least of them.

If done properly, carries can be great finishers for core training, training your posterior chain, and even metabolic conditioning.

At our center we have a nice track setup. Around each curve, there is a wooden casement that almost acts like a bench. So I can have clients do equal length segments—either 1/4 lap, 1/2 lap, or full lap—to either rest, or switch sides (if doing offset carries).
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't do them for grip training. I find that doing the lifts I need a strong grip for is enough for me as far as grip training goes. Azdak's summary--core, posterior chain, and metabolic training - - are what I do them for (besides just having a fun challenge.)

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,652 Member
    Options
    Lots of my clients do them. Well they have to because I put them in their programs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • alteredsteve175
    Options
    I sneak it in a a break between lifts--such as in between squats and deadlift.

Impressive. You go hard!

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I like them, too. I do them as part of an HIIT workout and as part of circuit training. We mix up the weight - sometimes the trap bar, sometimes kettlebells.

I saw a great video of (I think) Eric Cressey doing 4 trap bar deadlifts, followed by 15 carries with the same bar, then 4 DLs, 15 carries, etc.—all without stopping. Looked like an awesome workout.
  • alteredsteve175
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

I saw a great video of (I think) Eric Cressey doing 4 trap bar deadlifts, followed by 15 carries with the same bar, then 4 DLs, 15 carries, etc.—all without stopping. Looked like an awesome workout.

Thanks. I'll have to try that. A couple of buddies and I did Cressey's "Maximum Strength" 16 week program a couple of years ago. Good workout and the guy knows his stuff.

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I try to end every workout with a carry exercise.
  • alteredsteve175
    Options
    I carry plates around the gym to help "clean up" after other people (and I have a thing about plates being in the right places...)

... Does that count? I'm not sure they're highly beneficial to me, but they help out the gym :D

Saw this on the whiteboard by the door at my gym yesterday. Quoting because I couldn't get a decent picture. Thought you might appreciate it.

"My workout shouldn't have to start with reracking 350 pounds of plates. Smol people, the elderly and skinny dudes with abs lift here, too."

Made me laugh!

• Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts on “carrying” exercises such as farmers carry, suitcase dumbbell carry, waiters carry, etc?
    They’re not something that I’ve heard a lot about or really looked into before, and my trainers over the years have never really included any of these in my programs. I’m curious to know whether you guys incorporate them into your weight training and if so whether or not you feel they are beneficial? One article I read went as far as to claim that they were one of the 5 essential elements of any exercise program. Thoughts?

They're good.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I've got a pair of farmer's walk handles but use a trap bar for walks instead. Harder to balance/control the handles and it requires more fiddling to set them up.

Don't do the walks as much as I should. Like them because they really work the entire body in one way or another.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i love them, but for prehab/rehab/maintenance reasons mostly. so i don't do them with very challenging weight. they make me super-aware of alignment and what the little stabilizer muscles actually feel like when they're doing what they're there to do, so that's what i use them for.

waiter walks (plate on flat palm overhead) are my go-to shoulder fixer, but there's always a risk of dropping the thing on your head. the suitcase form gets me more concentrated on the pelvic and lumbar-stabilizer muscles.

tl;dr: i like them more for stabilizer activation/awareness, and not so much for the pure strength. and i do them slowly with pretty moderate weight.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

he's got another great one with a kettlebell, that goes turkish getup - waiter walk - turkish getup. switch sides, and repeat.
  • megan_elizabeth8
    megan_elizabeth8 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    So the consensus so far seems to be that it would be a good idea to start incorporating them. Thanks guys!
  • alteredsteve175
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I've got a pair of farmer's walk handles but use a trap bar for walks instead. Harder to balance/control the handles and it requires more fiddling to set them up.

Don't do the walks as much as I should. Like them because they really work the entire body in one way or another.

I also prefer the trap bar. Can carry more weight and control it better. The separate handles are more challenging when turning around.