Bought a new scale. What a mistake!

Options
I bought a new scale today. It reads 9 pounds heavier than the one I have been using!
How depressing is that?!?! I went from an old school scale with a moving needle to a digital one. I was pretty sure the old one started right at zero. (You know the part you can slide back or forth?)

Nobody can take away the fact I have lost 15 pounds so far but I don't really know what I weigh. I guess it should not matter; it's just a number that I want to lower. But it's a deflating feeling.

Has anyone had an experiences similar to mine?

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The scale at the doctor's office is more accurate than mine and always shows I weigh more in all my clothes and heavy shoes than my home scale shows me in light gym attire and light shoes. Imagine.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen. The new scale showed me 7 pounds heavier. I was really upset, not so much at the current weight, because I had lost some weight before we bought the new scale, but because it told me that I had let my weight get much higher than I had thought. I was mad enough at having reached 170 pounds. Then I realized I had actually gotten to 177 - an all time high. Then there was the discouraging realization that it was going to take me an extra 7 or 8 weeks to get where I wanted. But the time was going to pass regardless, and whether focused on weight loss or maintenance, I was going to need to be watching what I ate, so I got over it.

To check the accuracy of the new scale, I periodically have my husband go directly from the doctor's office to our scale. They read the same.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    The newer digital ones are good to around a pound absolute, with a reproducibility that is slightly better. I know this from owning two for a short while as I bought a new one that was cooler looking than the older one (but about the same quality).
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    watts6151 wrote: »
    It’s clearly broken, take it back immediately

Haha! That is what I was thinking too.
  • klowieislyfe1
    klowieislyfe1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I did notice that when I switched to a digital scale, it weighs heavier. I'm not sure which is more accurate.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    Options
    I don't know how to switch my weight on here for tracking purposes. I feel like a fraud! lol
    I don't want to add the lbs back Because it will look like a gain. Oh first world problems.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    i had been driving myself crazy gaining weight when numbers straight up just didnt add up. none of my bodies previous patterns were at play, No sodium or hormonal things. Nothing. Was over a long enough timeframe and i had already lost 110 pounds i knew the deal. Straight up was gaining magical weight. was so heartbroken i couldnt figure it out. Never even occured to my my scales arrow was beginning on 5-7 pounds. Took me emberassingly long time to figure that out. Got a new scale and FINALLY was able to hit under 125 vs nearing 130-135 again lol

Why does a scale even have that feature? To play mean tricks on people?
    I have never understood why that is there.
  • BBum69
    BBum69 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The newer digital ones are good to around a pound absolute, with a reproducibility that is slightly better. I know this from owning two for a short while as I bought a new one that was cooler looking than the older one (but about the same quality).

I did the same. It was disappointing enough to find out that the new, cooler looking, scale was going to tell the same lies as the old one. I can't imagine getting a new one that lies by 9 pounds more than the old!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Maybe the new scale is right and the old one is wrong? Doesn't matter, you still lost the weight. You could set your new goal a few lbs higher to compensate..
  • megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to switch my weight on here for tracking purposes. I feel like a fraud! lol
    I don't want to add the lbs back Because it will look like a gain. Oh first world problems.

Click on progress then you add your new weight
  • GOT_Obsessed
    Options
    megs_1985 wrote: »

Click on progress then you add your new weight

Thanks. But that would show a weight increase on my ticker and report which is what I was hoping to avoid. However I did find a spot where I could edit my starting weight. I adjusted that to the new scale. I deleted all my checkins and added a new checkin for today. I get to experience my milestone number all over again. *insert sarcastic eyeroll here*
  • ptrcmcc6
    ptrcmcc6 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    To the OP, I had the same thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago when I bought a new scale. My new scale was reading 3 lbs. higher than my old scale. I didn't let it bother me though because I'm sure if I had my new scale when I first started, my starting weight would have been 3 lbs. higher, also so, technically, I lost the same amount of weight.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    If you want to take the time, you could go back and edit all the entries and add 9 lbs to them. Remember that, regardless of the number, you've lost 15 lbs.