Calorie shifting diet

I've just been reading about calorie shifting diets where you vary your calorie consumption day-to-day. The theory is that this improves your metabolism by increasing your resting metabolic rate. I was just wondering if anyone has tried this and if it worked for them?

Replies

• jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    I did something that I've heard referred to as zig zag dieting - varying calorie intake each day. The weekly average was my normal target but each day varied. I liked it as it allowed me days to eat some more comfort type food , and some days where I was strict. I don't know about any resting metabolic rate change but I did lose effectively on it.
  • moniqueholtman237
    moniqueholtman237 Posts: 25 Member
    Anytime someone is talking about improving your metabolism and they are talking about something other than exercise, you can pretty much assume that any improvements will be small, at best. It is more likely that varying your eating times would create a calorie deficit by reducing the habitual eating that you do at certain times of day. If you want to increase your metabolism, get out and get all sweaty, get your heart beating faster, get those lungs moving air in and out for an hour or more every day.

I am a big fitness fanatic and am at the gym most days. I have a holiday coming up though and I wouldn't say I need to lose weight, really just looking to target a bit of fat loss - hence looking at ways to give the metabolism a boost. Interesting point about varying eating times though, will give that a try!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Calorie cycling has no effect on your metabolism. It can, however, be a useful tool to create a calorie deficit.
  • daltontf
    daltontf Posts: 63 Member
    edited March 2017
    I'm looking to cycle calories intake to improve energy levels during training and aid recovery. The experiment will be to eat at a slight surplus if I plan to lift that day and the day after. The third day will have a deficit created via fasting (skipping breakfast).
  • melfaye75
    melfaye75 Posts: 5 Member
    I am looking into this as well. I heard about it through a co worker who lost 60lbs using this method. However, my own research is showing me that it really wouldn’t make a difference on shifting calories. What I do know is eating regularly (every 3 hours) and within targeted calories will get the job done. ;
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    melfaye75 wrote: »
    I am looking into this as well. I heard about it through a co worker who lost 60lbs using this method. However, my own research is showing me that it really wouldn’t make a difference on shifting calories. What I do know is eating regularly (every 3 hours) and within targeted calories will get the job done. ;

You don't need to eat every 3 hours. In all reality, the number of meals and the timing of those meals will have no impact on weight loss outside of personal adherence.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited December 2017
    Anytime someone is talking about improving your metabolism and they are talking about something other than exercise, you can pretty much assume that any improvements will be small, at best. It is more likely that varying your eating times would create a calorie deficit by reducing the habitual eating that you do at certain times of day. If you want to increase your metabolism, get out and get all sweaty, get your heart beating faster, get those lungs moving air in and out for an hour or more every day.

I am a big fitness fanatic and am at the gym most days. I have a holiday coming up though and I wouldn't say I need to lose weight, really just looking to target a bit of fat loss - hence looking at ways to give the metabolism a boost. Interesting point about varying eating times though, will give that a try!

As a "fitness fanatic" then the MyFitnessPal way of accounting for exercise calories will suit you well in giving you more food on big training days.
    The exercise will boost your metabolism, trying to play tricks on your body by calorie cycling or changing eating patterns - no not really.
    We all have the ability to store energy (fat and glycogen) so varying your input is just the same as filling up your car in several small amounts or all in one go - you still end up with the same amount of fuel in your tank.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,943 Member
    If you want to increase your current metabolism you do it a couple of ways:

train more intense than you're training now

gain weight

take PED's

Other than that, there's not much more you can do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png