IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Mmmm I have neither Facebook, nor twitter or Instagram or such.

Only MFP and e-mail (which I only check during 'office hours' ;-) )

Does that make me super detoxed? :tongue:
  • brittneyalley
    brittneyalley Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I don't have any social media (except this, but I don't count this as I use MFP to lose weight). Life is much simpler since I deleted all my accounts!
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Rats. We so much needed another lemon water thread right now. :'(

Feel free to start a new or revive an old one ...
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Mmmm I have neither Facebook, nor twitter or Instagram or such.

Only MFP and e-mail (which I only check during 'office hours' ;-) )

Does that make me super detoxed? :tongue:

We are both super detoxed. But I do need to start detoxing from MFP... :/
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I have been Facebook free for a couple months and since disappearing not a single one of those people has contacted me because they noticed

Proving social media is a pointless waste of time. You are spending all your time thinking you are meaningfully engaging with friends and people you know when they really don't care as you are just a face of hundreds
  • dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Facebook has basically become a black pit of ads and mlm scams. There were no tears when I left it. :)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I have been Facebook free for a couple months and since disappearing not a single one of those people has contacted me because they noticed

Proving social media is a pointless waste of time. You are spending all your time thinking you are meaningfully engaging with friends and people you know when they really don't care as you are just a face of hundreds

I don't think this is true for everyone. I have a relatively small friends list and there are about 20 people I engage with very regularly. I have two group chats and we check in with each other almost daily. As a socially anxious agoraphobe with not a lot of friends living nearby FB is pretty important for me.

So social media for me is actually social with people I know well. People check in with me and I them. In fact I posted something about how I'm struggling a bit at the moment and the rubbish/garbage fairy (upstairs neighbour) visited and put it out for me. Much to my bemusement initially because it was gone and I could have sworn I'd put it there to put out.

So yeah, if social media is just a mindless habit then have at your detox. But don't rain on the parade of those who get positives from it.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options
    They check on you outside of Facebook?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

I don't think this is true for everyone. I have a relatively small friends list and there are about 20 people I engage with very regularly. I have two group chats and we check in with each other almost daily. As a socially anxious agoraphobe with not a lot of friends living nearby FB is pretty important for me.

So social media for me is actually social with people I know well. People check in with me and I them. In fact I posted something about how I'm struggling a bit at the moment and the rubbish/garbage fairy (upstairs neighbour) visited and put it out for me. Much to my bemusement initially because it was gone and I could have sworn I'd put it there to put out.

So yeah, if social media is just a mindless habit then have at your detox. But don't rain on the parade of those who get positives from it.

This. I've carefully curated my social media contacts so that my experience on the various platforms I visit enriches my life and are enjoyable to me.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    They check on you outside of Facebook?

Generally no as FB has become the habit. I hate phone calls too, if friends are going to call they'll often check first. And some of my best friends have come from FB. Maybe because I'm part of a bit of a niche "community" that uses FB in a slightly different way to the meme sharers and spammers. At any rate, everyone uses the old interwebz differently and that's all I was getting at.

There's irony in people slamming FB and Twitter etc and then posting on forums (not just MFP and not directed at you) all day.

Different strokes eh? I never advocate using your phone when having dinner with someone for the most part though. There are limits.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options
    Well maybe it's just Halifax nova scotia
    Maybe this is just a province of self centered humans.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options
    I had about 200 on my fb.. removed a lot and brought it down to 57 and still. I have been gone for 2 months but left the profile up. No texts. No phone calls. No messages via fb. Nothing. Lol. So from my point of view it's a collection of people who were a waste of my time trying to engage and keep in touch with.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    :+1:
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    dinadyna21 wrote: »
    Facebook has basically become a black pit of ads and mlm scams. There were no tears when I left it. :)

So true...all of a sudden people I hadn’t talked to since high school were coming out of the nooks and crannies messaging me. “Heyyyyy how are you? BUY RODAN AND FIELDS. HAVE YOU HEARD OF PLEXUS? LIPSENSE!!!!”

Oh and the worst one of all...lularoe
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I have a very strict rule on my Facebook - if I ran into you in the street, would I offer to buy you a beer? if the answer is no, you're not on my Facebook. Makes it an all around pleasant place to be, and given that I have family and friends all over the world, it means I'm in a lot more regular contact with them and aware of their lives than I ever would be otherwise.

To be honest, I'm someone who loathes speaking on the phone. I can honestly say that Facebook has saved many friendships which would otherwise fall by the wayside.

I see it as a tool. It's what you make of it. If you indiscriminately fill your friends list with vacuous people, it's not going to be much fun.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I have a very strict rule on my Facebook - if I ran into you in the street, would I offer to buy you a beer? if the answer is no, you're not on my Facebook. Makes it an all around pleasant place to be, and given that I have family and friends all over the world, it means I'm in a lot more regular contact with them and aware of their lives than I ever would be otherwise.

To be honest, I'm someone who loathes speaking on the phone. I can honestly say that Facebook has saved many friendships which would otherwise fall by the wayside.

That's pretty much my rule with Facebook too. I have a very small friends list over there for that reason. I follow very few pages with narrow interest.

Now, that being said, my sister, nephew, and brother in law and I disagree on many things, but this is nothing new. I still love them very much and we have learned to just have our say and move on with life. Cute animal videos smooth a lot of conversations over very quickly.