Indian Food

Options
Hello All,
Quick question, my boyfriend and I love eating indian food however everything i seem to eat is packed with calories, can anyone tell me a healthy Indian food to order instead of my fav chiken tikka masala ha? Same goes with Chinese food, sooo yummy but soooo fattening.
Thanks so muc for your help!

Replies

• ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My biggest issue with both Indian and Chinese food is the extremely high sodium content. Sorry, I won't be much help to you as I don't really have an answer for you. I just recently began experimenting with eating Indian foods.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    There have been a bunch of really helpful threads on here about this, just type "indian food" in the search tool.
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Oh man. Now I want Indian food! The only thing I could think of that might be semi- okay is like tandori chicken or the kebab style stuff. Everything else tends to have butter, cream, and/or fried! And there isn't really any way around the sodium issue with both!
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    let me find Goron59, he's a curry/indian food guru.....
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Anything Tandoori will be lower in fat as it's grilled, just don't ask for a urry sauce to go with it - get a raita or youghurt dip instead - and always go with plain basmati, chapati or naan rather than pilau. Don't have popadums as they're fried :(
  • aprilaugustus
    Options
    Can always make your own Indian/Chinese foods. You'd know exactly what's going into it. The possibilities are endless, only you are keeping yourself from doing it.
  • rankailie
    rankailie Posts: 144
    Options
    Southern Indian food tends to be much healthier as it uses more tropical flavors rather then creams and lots of healthy additions like lentils and legumes. There are also great vegetarian options in Indian food that are quite healthy.

Tandoori is a good choice as well as it tends to be lean. Aloo Gobi is also a great choice (potatoes and cauliflower).

Just make sure you ask how something is cooked, whether its fried or baked, whether it uses cream as a base, most Indian places are good at providing answers.
  • jolyned
    jolyned Posts: 28
    Options
    I make my own! I make Chicken Curry from scratch and it's purely fresh food with loads of fantastic spices. I don't use those bottles of sauce or anything. Find some good recipes online and make your own Idian food which lets you controle what goes in.
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I make my own chicken tikka at home with a lot fewer calories. Cut up chicken breast and cook with Pam or very little oil, then add Patak's Tikka Masala Curry cooking sauce. Serve with boiled or steamed basmati rice. Very yummy and easy to make.
  • Ociases
    Ociases Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, Rogan Josh is usually healthier than the Tikka. It's tomato based but doesn't have the amount of cream Tikka has while still being delicious. I would definitely try cooking Indian food at home. It's actually pretty easy once you have the spices you need (which you can find on amazon if you don't have a good Indo grocery store in town). You can make Tikka at home using fat free half and half and/or greek yogurt rather than using cream so you still get the decadent flavor without all the fat.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    bump!! i'm going out for indian food one day next week and i have NO IDEA what the calories or anything would be for any of the food =(
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    We make our own at home, but if I know I'm going to eat out I would rather "save" calories and get something I love. Sometimes my husband and I will share though. In general vegetable and legume dishes in a non cream based sauce are better choices. If you really want a meat dish, get tandoori. At home we have also replaced the naan with papadums, but I haven't tried that at the restaurant yet because I love their naan too much!