Running thread & questions!

Options
So I’m a newbie runner pretty much. (It’s been on and off for about a year and a half) but for the past month or so I’ve had the goal of a 5k and I’ve been training for it with C25K. I’m a few weeks away from finishing the program and I’m proud, never been able to run over 20 minutes without stopping consistently and here I am doing it. Basically I’m different than most people. I wasn’t fit, then got out of shape and am looking to get fit again, while I played sports I was always chubby and out of shape growing up. I’ve lost some weight and I’m in better shape now and much healthier however I’m still insecure about my running pace. I run about a 10 minute mile which is huge for me because I used to be at 14-16 minute miles back In the day. I’m an 18 year old college kid and I’ll be running with my mom in her 40s so this is just for fun, I’m not expecting to win but I don’t want to feel embarrassed about not being as good as the other people my age. What are some tips you guys have for running, confidence, and just enjoying it overall? Favorite running gear? Snacks? Thanks so much!

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    With a 10 minute mile, you'll be in the middle of the pack, so nothing to worry about. You'll see people walking, pushing strollers, running with dogs, doing walk/run intervals, etc. Line up in the middle. Faster people go in front. Walkers should go in the back (but don't always, unfortunately.)

Running gear depends on season/temperature. Starting out I basically just wore what I had in my closet. I bought better shorts and running pants after I'd been running a while. Soon I started wearing technical/nylon shirts I got from races. In cold weather, I keep track of what combinations I wear under different conditions so I know what works at 45 and windy vs. 45 and sunny and calm. At your 5k, you'll see people running in minimal gear (usually the fast runners) and people wearing sweats and jeans. If you're lucky, you'll see people in costumes, tutus, etc. Most of the people are out there for fun and don't care what you or anyone else wears.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    First, I consider myself somewhere between intermediate and advanced when it comes to running, and I run an 11:30 mile. Pace is so overrated sometimes. I can cover a pretty good distance and I just have a naturally slower pace. 10 min mile is awesome!!
    Just keep at your plan and once you run that 5k, start a new challenging plan. Don’t stop. Before you know it, you’ll be on to a 10k.

My biggest tip is to ensure you fuel yourself before a run, both with food and water. Always rehydrate well after. Get supportive shoes, not something crappy like “Nike frees”-which if you are not used to actual running shoes beware there is an adjustment period to them. Challenge yourself with hills on occasion and don’t forget to strength and flexibility training on off days too!!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Comparrison is the thief of joy
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    See if there is a Park Run in your area. 5K, timed but free. Ours is every Saturday. As said above, all kinds of people show up and all kinds of paces. Even do it as one of you C25K days.

Go to a good running store and have a gait analysis done for your shoes. Prepare to spend a bit on them.

Ran 5k in a Santa suit yesterday :)
  • edlanglais5
    edlanglais5 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Keep it up and congrats! Don’t worry about snacks. The race priori will have plenty at the finish line. I cradle a water bottle like a football, but only because I easily get extremely thirsty. They should have water coolers and cups at certain milestones. Learn and process with what works best for you. I’ve learned my best pacing by my breathing patterns. One left step and one right step = inhale and one left step one right step = exhale. Or choose the pattern that works best with you, so long as your body is in sync with your breathing. Don’t worry about taking a short break if you get winded. Once you catch your breath, continue on. That seems to help my overall run and time.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Don’t worry about taking a short break if you get winded. Once you catch your breath, continue on. That seems to help my overall run and time.

I don't really understand this, but I agree with it. The Parkrun I do has one hill and last time I decided to walk up the hill, I did my PB. I guess I got so winded running up it it killed my pace.
  • edlanglais5
    edlanglais5 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Exactly. Or run the first half and walk the remaining to conserve energy, briskly of course.