Triathlon questions

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Don't practice what you're already good at. Practice what needs work.

You sound like an old guitar teacher of mine....."Rehearse what you know and practice what you don't"

My own suggestion would be to not neglect any of the sports, run fitness doesn't necessarily translate into bike fitness & vice versa but I agree that swimming is probably the most daunting for us.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Practice riding well below threshold so as to be able to run afterwards.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Huh. See this got bumped.

I've signed up for some runs this fall, so doing 9K this weekend, 7.5K Oct 1 and 10K Oct 8. I've done 2 -10K runs on my own time (1:15 ish for both).

Swim lessons start up mid-October so I'll be doing those, but not hitting the pool until then. Not sure there is a point in swimming without some instructions first. Did some swimming in the lake this summer, but more for fun than anything.

August was tough to hit an actual bike as our town was filled with smoke from forest fires. Did some biking at the Y, but not a lot.

Been doing weights (or the machine version) for 5 weeks now and will transition to free weights soon. Just getting the hang of it and doing as the coach at the Y suggested.

I was surprised when I found I could run 10K, so this may not be as hard as I thought. I'm not looking to be competitive, just to finish without embarrassing myself.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Sounds good for now...you'd probably want to transition to a structured training program at some point, and down the road you will want to do some brick work to get used to the transition from bike to run...
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    I was also surprised how easy it was to get to 10k. It's definitely true that if you can run 5K you can run 10k.

Don't be surprised if your 10K times get better pretty quickly, too. I intentionally took it very easy the first few times that I ran that distance because I mentally thought I had to run at a very easy pace to last the distance. I think I averaged 11+ min/miles for my first three runs at that distance.

The fourth time I was confident enough that the distance wasn't a problem and just let myself run at a comfortable place. Barely 6 weeks after my first 10k run and I'm now averaging below 10 min/mile paces. I'll sign up for a formal 10K later this fall with a goal to complete it in 55 minutes or so (or at least below an hour).
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    edited September 2017
    Hey! I just finished my first triathlon (Super Sprint) on Saturday and I'm gearing up for more (longer distances) in the future. Mine was 375m swim, 10K bike and 2.5K run... .

...It's an incredible feeling when you cross that finish line. I was already thinking about my next tri ;)

Congratulations! It sure is a great feeling, isn't it? Sounds like you've been bitten by the bug.

If you aren't careful, though, it could lead to something like this:

512f474d8c4f.jpg

• Djproulx
    August was tough to hit an actual bike as our town was filled with smoke from forest fires. Did some biking at the Y, but not a lot.

Depending on your level of interest and goals, you might consider using an indoor bike trainer. Since the bike segment is typically the longest leg of a triathlon, you could easily make solid progress over the winter by cycling indoors. Not always the most exciting training activity, but very effective.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Hey! I just finished my first triathlon (Super Sprint) on Saturday and I'm gearing up for more (longer distances) in the future. Mine was 375m swim, 10K bike and 2.5K run... .

...It's an incredible feeling when you cross that finish line. I was already thinking about my next tri ;)

Congratulations! It sure is a great feeling, isn't it? Sounds like you've been bitten by the bug.

If you aren't careful, though, it could lead to something like this:

512f474d8c4f.jpg

Ahhh I love that sight ;)
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    I just completed my first sprint triathlon this past weekend (1/4 mile swim, 10 mile bike, 5K run). I actually did pretty well--82nd out of 600 women with an overall time of 1:20.07. The top finisher had an absolutely blazing time of 59:16, but the rest of the podium was in the 1:04-1:06 range.

My swim was terrible. Horrible. Not DFL or anything, just seriously awful (for me). Do NOT underestimate the swim, especially if it's in open water and you've not swum in open water previously. I was a swimmer in high school but haven't been back in the pool much since then until I joined our local Y--I have been swimming 2-3 days (1800 yards each session) since March, some of it with a coach. Still not enough. Simply swimming more laps probably might have helped me, but maybe not... I had found myself open space for the start, but when the gun went off it was like a salmon feeding frenzy. People swam over me, kicked me, and pushed me under--I took on water early and really had a hard time recovering. I swam the entire way doing breaststroke just so that I could try to catch my breath again. I was so incredibly happy (and surprised) that I was actually able to finish the swim! I didn't let it bother me too much once I was out and crushed it on the bike (my bike time was in the top 5% overall) and then ran a decent 5K. And now it's over and I'm plotting out what I need to be ready to do more tris next summer (but first I need to get ready for my first season back on skis after ACL repair). I don't expect to do awesome in all 3 disciplines, but I definitely will be spending more time in the pool to cut 2-3 minutes off that split.

Here is the training plan that I roughly followed: https://saltlakerunning.com/10-week-sprint-triathlon-training-plan/
    (I never did actual bricks--I might have biked and run in the same day in training, but never back to back.)

Like any other race--test everything out before race day. Swim, bike, run in your tri suit. If you're using a wetsuit, practice swimming in that. Practice transitions. Test any energy gel if you plan on using it.

And if you can find a water polo league, that honestly would be the best prep for the swim start.

Good luck!
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Haha funny comment there about water polo. I swam and played water polo through high school and that's what the experience you described reminded me of. I've never swam in open water or in crowds otherwise, but water polo is a dirty dirty sport.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Haha funny comment there about water polo. I swam and played water polo through high school and that's what the experience you described reminded me of. I've never swam in open water or in crowds otherwise, but water polo is a dirty dirty sport.

For summer training our girls' and boys' swim teams used to train together, and we usually finished with a water polo game (as many of the boys were on both the water polo and swim teams like you). It is a dirty dirty sport, even when teenagers who like each other are playing it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    mitch16 wrote: »
    My swim was terrible. Horrible. Not DFL or anything, just seriously awful (for me). Do NOT underestimate the swim, especially if it's in open water and you've not swum in open water previously.

Definitely get out into open water as soon as you can, it's completely different from swimming laps in the pool. Your first OW swim sounds a lot like mine.....I nearly gave up triathlon, had it not been for some other club members taking pity on me and inviting me out to OW swim sessions I probably would have missed some of the most fun I've had in years (last year I could barely swim 100m continuously, this year my summer included a 3km open water charity swim).
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    mitch16 wrote: »

For summer training our girls' and boys' swim teams used to train together, and we usually finished with a water polo game (as many of the boys were on both the water polo and swim teams like you). It is a dirty dirty sport, even when teenagers who like each other are playing it.

Water polo is a great idea for that, never would have thought about it. I never played organized water polo, but in swimming we would play sometimes too.

I have done a few sprint triathlons and have tried everything to get out of the crowd of people in my wave. Luckily I am a decent swimmer and could take and outside route around people, but I am sure it wasted some time.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    When I was doing my first one, someone had given me tips on the transitions. I am by no means fast, I do it totally for myself...well, my brother and I do it together and my transition times got me the first place finish in the family :)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    re: transition tips: I lay everything out in the reserve order that I put it on - so I grab put on, grab the next item; if you sit down then stay down until you are all set (rather than standing up/sitting down etc); consider what all you actually need in transition (I work on the KISS theory - and minimal is best)
  • Djproulx
    Fast transitions are FREE SPEED in a triathlon. In a short race like a Sprint, fast transitions can have a significant impact on your finishing placement. A few more tips to consider are: 1) Skip the socks! Wiping off feet and putting on socks is a waste of precious time when every second counts 2) Speed laces are quicker than tieing shoelaces for the run 3) Tri shoes pre- mounted to the bike can be put on as you are pedaling.
  • Tacklewasher
    So, bumping this because I still have it as a goal.
    Understand, that at 53 when I was 330+ lbs 18 months ago, my goal is not to have a good time, but just to finish one of the shorter races.

I'm thinking of either the tri-sprint or a try-a-tri distance.
    Sprint is swim 750m, bike 20km and run 5 km.
    Try a tri is swim 300m, bike 10km and run 3 km.

I've taken swimming lesson so have a much better handle on how to swim, but need to really work on distance.
    Been indoor biking more, but not to a training level.
    I've run 5 km in slightly under 30 mins and am happy with that time.

So, what would be the "equivalent" time target for the swim and bike to a 30 min 5 k run? Swimming will be the tough one for me as I'm still having issues doing 100m without stopping. I can indoor bike 5km in 10 mins, so 20 Km would be in the 45 range.

Thanks.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Don't know about swim. Bike, 20km in about 45minutes I think would be comparable.

40k in 60minutes is a really good time trial, imho a 18 min 5k.
  • jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    So, bumping this because I still have it as a goal.
    Understand, that at 53 when I was 330+ lbs 18 months ago, my goal is not to have a good time, but just to finish one of the shorter races.

I'm thinking of either the tri-sprint or a try-a-tri distance.
    Sprint is swim 750m, bike 20km and run 5 km.
    Try a tri is swim 300m, bike 10km and run 3 km.

I've taken swimming lesson so have a much better handle on how to swim, but need to really work on distance.
    Been indoor biking more, but not to a training level.
    I've run 5 km in slightly under 30 mins and am happy with that time.

So, what would be the "equivalent" time target for the swim and bike to a 30 min 5 k run? Swimming will be the tough one for me as I'm still having issues doing 100m without stopping. I can indoor bike 5km in 10 mins, so 20 Km would be in the 45 range.

Thanks.

So have done 30 plus triathlons....including the ironman. I coached multiple people through the each distance also. So I have analyzed this sport to death....

It all depends on hills and wind. Just know biking is the key to triathlon times (it's half the event). If you want to finish well bike more. People never believe that until they fail to bike enough and there run is so far away from there best. You don't bike enough you will walk, or you might as well walk as your pace is that slow.

Ballpark estimate is 40 minutes...that is 18 mph. On a flat course I can do 18 on about 175 watts which for most men is moderate. If you add in 3/4 hills then 17 is closer. If it's windy...all bests are off as that depends on pacing.

Decent advice is look at the results from last year. You will see a lot of people in the 30 minute 5k range....look at there bike times. But if you do not know what they are riding it does not matter much as my fat bike will go 8mph verse 22 on my tri bike for exact same power/course/day.

Sorry indoor biking speed is pretty irrelevant to outside...what kind of bike do you have? This might be the biggest decider on time.

Good luck on the race. Bike a lot and you might surprise yourself. And bike hard too!

John
  • Tacklewasher
    So, biking outdoors will have to wait until spring. I have a hybrid, so I'm not looking for a wonderful time. If I get into it more I may spring for a better bike, but not for my first one. I will start outdoor biking as soon as the white stuff is gone.

Looking at the results from 2016 (can't find 2017 for some reason) and going for men around the 30 min 5K on the Sprint, I'm thinking sub 20 mins for the swim and sub 45 for the bike would put me in the same ballpark as those running around 30 mins.

At least it gives me a goal to shoot for. Need to continue the swim lessons though. That is still my weak spot.