Has anyone else fallen for the i’ll just have one or six trap!

Options
I am one for balance with diet. However, I’m also not very strong willpowered with certain foods. Today it was avocado on fresh seeded bread, lovely and health. I thought one slice (I wasn’t hungry but was cold and tired). Then I had a lot more. I was convinced it was going to be one slice.... there aren’t many slices left put it that way.

It’s almost like I have to remind myself that I’m capable of eating a lot. Slightly frustrated that I didnt feel satiated by that once slice. So I’m full of lovely healthy fats but also getting a little fatter!

Random not to myself, our kitchen is next to the door we enter the house in (the back door is next to the cars). So each day, first room you enter is the kitchen. It only occurred to me the other day that as soon as I enter the house I think snack or coffee.

I’m not really sure why I’m posting I guess for a “me too” or even advice apart from “only eat one” because the latter was advice I gave myself, I had the best intentions... didn’t work.

Replies

• HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    When people expect complete and flawless moderation they often end up frustrated and disappointed.

If you know one isn't going to be enough, plan for that. Just because foods are healthy doesn't mean we should be able to consume all of them without flaw, its not just junk foods that can be foods that we enjoy enough to over indulge in.
  • wibblewobblejellyontheplate
    Options
    When people expect complete and flawless moderation they often end up frustrated and disappointed.

If you know one isn't going to be enough, plan for that. Just because foods are healthy doesn't mean we should be able to consume all of them without flaw, its not just junk foods that can be foods that we enjoy enough to over indulge in.

Oh absolutely. I think I’m worse with bread than I am chocolate or ice cream. But useful to be reminded overeating is overeating... whatever it happens to be!
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Have you tried entering through the other door? Not really answering your question, but I wonder if it would make a small difference in how often you think about snacks.
  • jaci66
    jaci66 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    LOL If anyone says they have NEVER done this, I will call them liars. :smiley:

Seriously though, No One is Perfect. We all do that. The part where you are honest about it and log it OR choose to lie to ourselves and not log it is were the real problem is.

Next time, get your one serving and put then rest away. If you see yourself going that route of one more, step back and do something else for say 15 to 30 minutes. Then see if you really want another one. Only then should you go there. Just a thought...
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It IS frustrating that we're capable of eating a lot more than we need. It's a first world problem. It's still annoying. It's also extremely normal. Satiated is not the same as satisfied, and it's the need for food we have to satisfy; our wants can be satisfied to some extent, but not completely, and not every time. Practicing gratitude helps.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If I don't want to eat putting a piece of mint gum in my mouth, getting out of the kitchen, or doing something not conducive to eating can help.
    If you always come in that door thinking about a drink or a snack you could try
    1.stocking lower calorie choices- maybe a cup of tea or a piece of fruit
    2. A new coming home ritual- maybe changing clothes, turning on music, doing a brief meditation
    3. Walking around to the front door instead of the back door
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Oh for sure. It's especially challenging this time of year with all the readily available goodies.

I'm actually finding this more challenging when since I've been in maintenance for the last few months. Not sure why, but I kind of get what people mean when they say maintenance is more challenging.

I'm starting back in Jan to drop the last 20 or so lbs.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I tell myself- I'll have one now, and I can always have another one later or tomorrow if I want it. Then, whatever you are eating isn't special.

Also, if you think what you are about to eat isn't going to be enough but your calorie allowance is tight, pair it with baby carrots or celery for some extra volume. That might help satiate you better. I've even eaten celery with a chocolate bar just to have something else to fill me up.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    jaci66 wrote: »
    LOL If anyone says they have NEVER done this, I will call them liars. :smiley:

Seriously though, No One is Perfect. We all do that. The part where you are honest about it and log it OR choose to lie to ourselves and not log it is were the real problem is.

Next time, get your one serving and put then rest away. If you see yourself going that route of one more, step back and do something else for say 15 to 30 minutes. Then see if you really want another one. Only then should you go there. Just a thought...

I have read this a few times on here. If I eat a whole cake or pie or whatever and I don't log it I am not lying to myself. I know what I have eaten. I don't recall eating a whole cake, but there are days when I know I have eaten more than I should and I do not log it. I can't lie to myself anyway because the scale tells me each week what I have done.
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hope it helps: (a little long) but I wanted to pass on advice
    given to me, which has helped me in similar situations.

I've found prolonging before eating the snack helps me to stop at planned amount. By accurate logging and checking first, I can see how many calories I have spare. Work out how many calories there are in my planned snack and decide wether it fits, if it's worth it or even if I still want it.

Then I log that amount, prepare one serving, then put everything away before actually sitting to eat and enjoy the amount you've pre selected. For example, knowing how many calories are involved, helps me to enjoy my snack as I know it fits into my calorie goal, but it also helps me to stop there.

(Estimated calories for snack as an example)
    Daily calorie target; 1,400 calories
    Planned meals for day will be; 1,200 calories
    Leaves 200 spare calories,
    Knowing & then pre logging my chosen snack is 200 calories, which still hits my target. [You knew you should have one slice, to fit your meal plan, but couldn't stop there and was disappointed afterwards]. Whereas if I had to log 3 or 4 slices, at first into my food diary and saw it added up to 2000 calories, this data then helps me to stop at the pre selected amount. Actually seeing the data on a screen beforehand helps me to reinforce the manta of "just one", which you knew to begin with. Deleting these calories, which I've made a conscious decision to not eat, also seems to help