Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Running tips

I started the C25K on Monday and have never really ran before. Tried a few times and quit. I would like to continue and have a partner helping me. I went and got fitted for shoes, so I have that down. I was hoping people could give me tips and tricks to help me make running more enjoyable. Examples I have heard so far are: take aspirin/pain reliever 30 min before you run, have a recovery snack after, stretch after, keep hydrated...let me know what YOUR tips are:) I am highly interested...

Replies

• schmaggie
    schmaggie Posts: 5 Member
    My best tip? Look down the road at when you'll finish C25K, and register for a 5K. There is no better motivation than knowing at the end of the program you'll pin a number on your front and put your training into practice! I did my first race a year ago, and I was hooked. (And by "race" I mean "I enjoyed having a lot of fast runners around me while I slowly ran in the same direction, praying I wouldn't be last.)

I'm still slow, but I will never stop running!
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Bump.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Awesome running music! I find if I chose songs with an amazing beat I feel more motivated!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Make sure you running bra holds your chest tight but comfortable. Run outside when you can, changing scenery makes runs more enjoyable. Get some music that pumps you up. When going uphill (I live in northern va lots of hills) slow jog up and concentrate on your breathing so you don't get too winded. If you get side stitches slow up and try to take longer slower breaths. Don't eat or drink right before you run(give yourself at least 30 minutes) that usually gives me side stitches right away. Thats all I got for now
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    congrats at starting the program it really does work.. i am 37 and never ran before last november ever. i'm running around 15 miles per week now. The best advice i can give you is dont give up. From what i have seen and from my personal experience somewhere around week 5 or 6 you will have a fail day. it'll be one run that you go to do and for whatever reason you wont be able to get through it. dont give up just redo that day until you get comfortable with it, kinda take on a conquer it all attitude. Other than that is you should have and trouble with chin splints there is a great technique to workign them out. Sit in a chair with your feet straight out in front of you. Write the alphabet with your toes in the air. If you do this 2 to 3 times a day you will get over any chin issues that may come up. Stay hydrated and you'll be fine.. Good luck to you..
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    I just started Monday as well. Good luck!

Here is a link for beginners (I'm including it because it's not the easiest thing to find in their home page)
    http://www.runnersworld.com/channel/0,7119,s6-380-0-0-0,00.html
  • I'm more of a jogger than runner, but I love listening to music when I go to the park. You can download a podcast on iTunes called IndieJogCast. It's really neat and the itensity of the music goes with what speed you're running!
  • mlanser08
    mlanser08 Posts: 40 Member
    I just started Monday as well. Good luck!

Here is a link for beginners (I'm including it because it's not the easiest thing to find in their home page)
    http://www.runnersworld.com/channel/0,7119,s6-380-0-0-0,00.html

Thanks! We are going to be avid runners in no time. Good luck!
  • Amandamccl
    Amandamccl Posts: 380
    stretch your legs especially
    hamstrings arms, core and even
    your neck loosen up if possible
    listen to some rap or hip hop I'm more of a rock girl also
    don't drink a lot of water before an
    activity it will make you water
    logged and could make you slower
    and make the task harder.
    also
    focus on something else, if your
    legs start to hurt.. sing a song or
    count numbers. i always spell when
    i'm running. plus it gets in me in a
    nice pattern to run/breathe. also,
    try not to look down.. its harder to
    run when you're focused on the
    ground!
    Best of luck!
  • My roommate and I started this Monday as well. Your tips sound great, we ran with music last night and it made the time FLY! I just keep telling myself that one day I WILL enjoy running (:
    Best of luck to you
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Things I find work best for me:

Good fast beat music (and get new songs as rewards)
    I almost exclusively run outdoors & in the AM before anyone wakes up
    Early on I learned to focus on my breathing - 3 count in, 3 count out.
    Take it slow, it's not a race
    Repeat weeks/days if necessary
    Let your mind go while running
    I need to stretch before & after each run - although a lot of people only stretch afterward
    I started out with eating something small before a run (1/2 banana), but later stopped eating anything... so follow your body signs
    Because I run right after I wake up, I lay out my clothes to avoid any "excuses" in the AM
  • lazirlott
    lazirlott Posts: 42 Member
    Don't be surprised if you have to repeat some days or weeks on C25K if you can't complete the workout the first time. I started in May and finished last month or around then. I think a lot of people need to repeat sometimes. If you have a hard day, just keep at it the next. It is HARD if you have never ran before, but you can do it! My program was based on time, not distance. It is a great feeling when you reach the end and can run for 30 minutes when you could barely make a few minutes without droppping at the beginning :happy:
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    I just started the Bridge to 10K - the program that you can do after you finish C25K and I like it!!!! ME?!?!?! Running for 30 minutes at the end of C25K? I thought it was a joke....it was no joke.

Yes, of course, stay hydrated. I'm not a big fan of those belts that hold water bottles (they kinda remind me of fanny packs), so I make sure to drink 30 min before a run (then pee! lol) and at least 4 cups of water after.

Try out different things - Try a treadmil then try running outside and see which one you like better. Chances are, you'll love one and want to do that all the time but will still be able to do the other when forced.

Remember that no one is looking or judging you! This was SO hard for me to grasp. I would think that people were analyzing me and wondering why that fat girl even bothered. Sooooo not the case. I love running the trails and seeing people run. The majority of the runners will wave or smile at you and it totally makes you feel like you're one with them...aka, a runner! It's great.

Do not be intimidated by the increases in running time. YES!!! You can run 8 minutes straight....YES!!! 20 minutes of running is doable. If you need to, slow down, but do NOT stop!!! Push yourself! Runners push themselves, and you're a runner!

Best of luck to you!
  • No.. Ignore that one. Its not necessary.
    take aspirin/pain reliever 30 min before you run
  • I see two sweet little ones in your pic, so, if you are pushing them in the stroller, make sure to take snacks or toys for them because otherwise you will hear "why are you going slow? go faster! can we go to the park? why aren't you talking?" the entire time. Or, at least, that's what mine do.

Get some good music, drink lots of water, take in some protein after your run, and go when it's cool out.
  • aray379
    aray379 Posts: 131
    take aspirin/pain reliever 30 min before you run

I can't remember where I read this but recently I read a study that doing this actually hurts your preformance. I only take aleeve in the morning before a run day (I run at night) if my shin splints are acting up/hurting. If you google it the article might come up.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    I started the program early June, I have never been a runner and find that I am enjoying this. I am struggling with week 4, and will repeat it. For me I enjoy that time to myself, I wake up at 630am and am out the door by 645, mind you I have never been a morning person. But I enjoy the quiet, seeing the sunrise, hearing the birds, seeing rabbits and the occasional deer. I always have my i-pod with me, I am a big fan of the Outlander book series and listen to it on my ipod now. I also track my run with the Endomondo app, seeing what calories I've burned gives me satisfaction.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    I hated it for the first few months. I kept going because I wanted to join in with a group of friends that run, and I had to get fit enough to be able to keep up with them. Then one day, a couple of months in, I found I missed the adrenaline on the days I didn't run. I love it now. I am always amazed when I look at the road behind and see where I have come from, how far a person can travel if they just keep going.
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    I'm about to finish up C25K and start the bridge to 10K. Having *just* gone through the program, some of my tips would be:

Drink water 30 minutes to an hour before you run.

Don't take a pain reliever before you run unless you actually need it. Pain relievers can mask your body's warning signs. And if you actually need to take a pain reliever because of running, you might want to consider giving yourself an extra day or two between runs instead. Several times throughout the program I waited more than one day in between runs to let my body adjust. I personally think it's better to take an extra day or two off than to take more pain killers and try push through it. I'm not training for the Olympics here. I'm just trying to be healthier, and pushing my body to the point of pain goes against that goal in my opinion. Struggling with things like breathing is ok. I'll push through that. But HURTING is not ok. I've learned the hard way not to push through pain.

Weeks 4-6 are the hardest in my opinion and they may increase too fast for people who have never run before (or people like me who haven't run in 20 years). They also seem to be the weeks that more people get hurt. Take those weeks as slow as you need to and increase at the pace YOU are comfortable. If you only feel like you can increase your time by a minute or two instead of jumping all the way to 20 minutes, that's still progress. Remember: the program is a guideline only. You don't have to follow it to the letter.

Try to run as *SLOWLY* as you can, especially on the days that you are increasing your run time/distance. It's not a race. If you decide you want to work on increasing your pace that can come later. For now, you just want to focus on making it to each smaller goal. When I felt frustrated at going slow, I tried to remind myself that I wasn't planning on trying to WIN a 5K, only FINISH a 5K.

If you decide you want to enter a race to give you something to work toward, I would recommend choosing one a month or so away from the time you expect to be done with the program. That's what I did and I am *SO* glad I did! It allowed me to not feel pressured to finsh "on time" and gave me the freedom to take a few extra days off when I felt I needed them.
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Oh yeah...STRETCH!! Especially afterwards. When you think you've stretched enough, go through your stretches one more time. It really does help! And do exercises in between runs to help strengthen the areas that runners tend to have problems with. Runner's World website has several different injury prevention workouts and stretching programs.