Is the step tracker trustworthy on the iPhone?

Options
I was messing around with the app and realized I had the step tracker turned off so I decided why not turn it on and saw that it added calories for me to eat because of the calories burned. Is it accurate or should I be careful with it?sk6qt7zsao90.png

Replies

• brittneyalley
    brittneyalley Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Mine is very inaccurate. It doesn't count my steps half the time.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    On an average day with my coworker doing very similar things I’ll get 5000 steps on my Fitbit and he will be at 13000 on his phone. I think it hard around and counts movements other than actual steps. But t make be not for everyone. Give it a go and see what the outcome is.
  • brookekaczor
    brookekaczor Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My phone is pretty accurate. I walk around farm section lines and have used my GPS alongside my phone and both have agreed....
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    When my fitbit stopped working, I tried a few apps. I now use an app called pacer on my android and it seemed to count about the same amount of steps in an average day as my fitbit. Samsung health, on the other hand, counts like twice as many steps.

You could download other apps just for comparison to make sure yours isn't drastically overestimating the number of steps. The calories should just be based on the stats you put into the app so if the steps are accurate the calories shouldn't be far off.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Shellz31 wrote: »
    When my fitbit stopped working, I tried a few apps. I now use an app called pacer on my android and it seemed to count about the same amount of steps in an average day as my fitbit. Samsung health, on the other hand, counts like twice as many steps.

You could download other apps just for comparison to make sure yours isn't drastically overestimating the number of steps. The calories should just be based on the stats you put into the app so if the steps are accurate the calories shouldn't be far off.

I use Pacer too and find it quite accurate. If I go for a walk the distance travelled it gives me is pretty close to how far I know I have walked. Have no idea about the iPhone though. You could use an app which has a GPS and from that work out roughly how many steps per mile/km you take and compare against your iPhone reading to work out accuracy.
  • DanishFeta
    DanishFeta Posts: 61 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I used to use my iPhone before I got a fitbit for xmas and I thought I was super active but then when I started using the fitbit, it recorded my steps between 2700- 4000 steps per day, yet the iphone would say 8000-10000 XD. I don't use iphones to track anymore. I was using an older iphone though, so i'm not sure if that would have made it worse.