2kg to Christmas

Options
Hi everyone. Trying to set myself small weight loss goals, aiming to lose 2kgs by Christmas. Is that achievable? Looking for motivation!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    One issue is if it's achieveble - do you weigh at least 100 kgs? Another issue is whether it's going to be measurable - your weight naturally fluctuates, unrelated to real loss or gain, within 1-2 kgs, in the matter of days.

If you feel you need motivation, maybe your plan is all wrong. Losing weight is a slow process, so it takes a long time, and you cant speed it up, but it's simple, and you can make it nicer. Set a healthy weight goal, pick a realistic weekly weight loss goal and get an appropriate calorie target. Eat food you like and hit that target. Weigh yourself regularly (often and consistently) and use the trend over time to adjust calorie intake. That's all you need to do.
  • DanishFeta
    DanishFeta Posts: 61 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Depends, what's your height and weight?

I also agree with Kommodevaran. Even though I'm obese, my weight has changed by 5- 10lbs in 1 day. Usually that's around TOM, when i'm eating badly(Way too much salt, or even when I don't drink enough. So I don't worry to much about the scale. I do try to get an average each month and I also like to take measurements too.

If you've got a lot to lose it might be possible to lose 2kgs of fat by then but you may not see it on the scale. Just keep sticking to your calories, weigh your foods and you'll get to your goals bit by bit, don't worry about the date you reach them =)

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    It's doable, but it's not a particularly useful goal. When you set goals around a particular date, it becomes problematic to continue the process once that date passes. I get that you want mini goals. I find that very helpful myself. I'd just recommend against putting a deadline on it.

And 2kg is with the margin of fluctuation so I'd chose something a little higher. Say 5kg or so.
  • Angie_au
    Angie_au Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I currently weigh ~73-74kg. And my goal weight is to lose 10kg in the next 4-5 months. I’m trying to eat 1200-1500 calories each day and weigh in weekly on a Sunday. I notice that my weight does fluctauate quite often on the scale, eg when I’ve eaten within my calorie limit all week but still somehow gain 500g. This really affects me and discourages me, and I tend to eat badly in the following week. Maybe I shouldn’t let the scale affect me so much.. :neutral:
    Thank you both for the advice and encouragement so far! :smile:
  • DanishFeta
    DanishFeta Posts: 61 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Angie_au wrote: »
    I currently weigh ~73-74kg. And my goal weight is to lose 10kg in the next 4-5 months. I’m trying to eat 1200-1500 calories each day and weigh in weekly on a Sunday. I notice that my weight does fluctauate quite often on the scale, eg when I’ve eaten within my calorie limit all week but still somehow gain 500g. This really affects me and discourages me, and I tend to eat badly in the following week. Maybe I shouldn’t let the scale affect me so much.. :neutral:
    Thank you both for the advice and encouragement so far! :smile:

If you're weighing everything you eat, don't worry about a small gain. As i said before I could go up 10lbs in 1 day even when I'm eating the right calories. If you're finding you binge when you see that slight gain, then you have a problem =( and doing that is just going to make you stay in the same place.

If the number on the scales bothers you, don't weigh yourself so often. Maybe weigh in on the 1st day of every month. =D

I'm not sure of your height so I'm just going to guess the average height of 5'5. If that's the case you should be aiming to lose no more than 0.2kg-0.4kg (0.5-1lbs) per week. Meaning 2kgs (4.4lbs) in 21days is probably unrealistic.

Don't try to rush this, I can understand the excitement and desire to reach a goal but rushing it will make it harder then it needs to be and once you get to your final weight goal this journey won't be over as you will need to continue eating right for the rest of your life =) so make sure you enjoy this journey and eat things you love in moderation as well as find activities you enjoy.

All the best!
  • Angie_au
    Angie_au Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi Danishfeta,
    I guess I used to see people of YouTube do weekly weigh ins and they’d be losing weight every week and I was comparing my own weight loss with theirs which is probably not a very healthy thing to do. I’ll keep what you’ve said in mind, a small gain is not the end of the world and I’m not going to let 200-500g gain affect me. I’m going to try stick to my daily calorie limit, and see how much weight I’ve lost by the end of the month.
    Thanks for the encouragement! I’m used to being very hard on myself and what I eat. And I used to give myself a very hard time with the number on the scale every week. But hearing what’s been said in this forum, I’m not going to let that bother me as much every week!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Angie_au wrote: »
    Hi Danishfeta,
    I guess I used to see people of YouTube do weekly weigh ins and they’d be losing weight every week and I was comparing my own weight loss with theirs which is probably not a very healthy thing to do. I’ll keep what you’ve said in mind, a small gain is not the end of the world and I’m not going to let 200-500g gain affect me. I’m going to try stick to my daily calorie limit, and see how much weight I’ve lost by the end of the month.
    Thanks for the encouragement! I’m used to being very hard on myself and what I eat. And I used to give myself a very hard time with the number on the scale every week. But hearing what’s been said in this forum, I’m not going to let that bother me as much every week!
    The thing is that if you can look at it realistically, you won't be so impatient - weightloss is pretty mathematical in its nature; if you have a lot to lose, you can lose faster (amount per week) but it's still the same rate (in percent). You can't always tell for sure if what you see or hear is true, either. If someone has something to sell or promote, you can be almost certain they will exaggerate the results.

Another thing is that you're using "wrong" terminology. Those 200-500 grams aren't "gains", they are fluctuations. Unless it's fat, which takes 3500 calorie per pound to create, it's water, food, waste. But if you do eat more after a "bad weigh-in", because it "doesn't look like you're losing", well, of course you won't be losing weight.

Don't let the number on the scale bother you at all. Weekly weigh-ins are generally promoted, but I believe they are very outdated. Modern, precise scales pick up 1/10 of a kilo, and modern, healthy weight loss is no more than a pound per week unless you're obese, and daily fluctuations can be a pound or more, so you are missing a lot of valuable data if you don't weigh daily, and a perfect diet will still not be a guarantee to see a drop every time. So either weigh daily, or monthly, or never, or weigh weekly but understand what you see and don't see.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Just a little word of encouragement..... I hope! My scale can go up 1 kilo from one day to the next but I haven't gained any fat. It just means that either;
    My period is due the next day,
    I ate more salt than usual the day before,
    I exercised more than usual,
    I ate more food (not calories) than usual,
    I haven't had a bowel motion for over 24 hours......

So many things can cause these fluctuations. They are both normal and expected. If I weighed myself only once a week and happened to have one or more of those events occur the day before it may appear I have not lost at all over the week, or have gained. Look at your overall trend and if it is going down you are doing well. If it continues to increase week after week only then do you need to adjust your plan.