Healthy Fats

Options
I ❤️ avocados. If I eat one per day is this unhealthy?!

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I doubt it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Eat what you love. You’ll be fine.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    It's one of my go to breakfasts. On toast. I don't eat it every day because it's tough to always have one perfectly ripe, but I eat them 3-4 mornings a week.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Only if it puts you over your calorie goal or causes you to not have room for sufficient protein or other nutrients in your diet.

When it comes to food, try thinking of it as “I need to get enough of the right nutrients to be healthy while not exceeding my calorie goal.”
    It seems you’re more in the habit of approaching it as “I hope it’s not bad for me to eat this.”
    Nutrition isn’t about certain foods being “bad” for you. Nutrition is about getting all the nutrients you need.
    An avocado won’t hurt you. Failing to get enough protein because you only eat avocados could.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Why would it be?

I was just joking yesterday about how I wasn't having avocado at lunch as I had at breakfast and lately I feel like I might be on an avocado-based diet, which isn't great for calories (and while avocados are nutritious I think variety is good), but if you are currently enjoying having an avocado a day and it fits into your calories, that's not something to worry about.

I'm currently having half of one every morning and sometimes have the second half later that day.
  • CrazyCarbContessa
    CrazyCarbContessa Posts: 21 Member
    Options
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Avocados are pretty expensive these days. I seldom buy them for this reason.

There are a lot of cheaper sources for healthy fat like ground flax seed. No need to limit the source to just avocados.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Avocados are tastier than ground flax seed, however.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Just mix it in w/something else and you don't even know it's there.

But if ground flax seed doesn't work for you, just try something else.

The point was that avocados are NOT the only source for healthy fats.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Just mix it in w/something else and you don't even know it's there.

But why would I eat lots of calories without knowing it's there? The omega 3s that most have trouble getting enough are DHA and EPA, which isn't in flax seed (which has ALA). Flax seed is fine for you, but I'm never short on fat (in part because I love avocado, olives, nuts and some seeds, so on, and when I'm eating meat, I adore fatty fish too).
    The point was that avocados are NOT the only source for healthy fats.

Oh, yes, I agree with you on that, but I don't think OP was confused on that point. She just seems to enjoy avocados.