16wk 800kcal/day

Options
MISSNYA92
MISSNYA92 Posts: 36 Member
edited December 2017 in Motivation and Support
Hello! My name is Nya. I’m a 25yr old business student and part-time hostess at Chili’s Grill and Bar. I moved home with my aunt after a breakup last year, and have since been working on creating/accepting my purpose and identity. I found Christ after a long phase of rejecting the faith and religion I grew up with, and kind of living on the edge to test literally EVERYTHING there was. I learned a lot, lost a lot, grew a lot, and ultimately came full circle.

Emotionally, I’m in a pretty good place! I feel like I have a great support community and potential to build a successful career and finish school.
Now I’m interested in regaining control of my body and lifestyle habits. I need a plan.

Growing up, I wasn’t taught how to eat well, so I’m kind of starting from scratch figuring out what I need and what works for me.

CW: 166.4
Height: 5’4
GW: 140

I came here to meet people on similar journeys, so we can offer each other encouragement and support as well as motivational tips and planning hacks.
Please tell me who you are, where you’re from, what you’re working on, and if you’ve ever maintained a very low calorie diet for weight loss.

Replies

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Are you under a doctor's care? A VLCD probably isn't going to teach you how to regain control of your body and lifestyle habits... You're not THAT overweight--set up mfp the way that it is meant to be used, choose a reasonable, sustainable weight loss goal (hint: it's not 2 lbs a week), and go from there.
  • MISSNYA92
    Options
    Why are they against the rules? I don’t understand... I’m obviously overweight and interested in maintaining a healthy lifestyle, but my schedule with school, work, and church doesn’t offer much flexibility for daytime workouts, so I’m not very active at all.
    Wouldn’t a low activity level require a higher calorie deficit for weight loss?
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    You should not be eating less than 1200 calories per day. Your current calorie goals are neither healthy nor necessary for weight loss. Your post is going to be locked by a moderator because promotion of extremely low calorie diets is not allowed on the forums.
  • MISSNYA92
    Options
    I’m not sure I follow...
    With my height, weight, measurements, and activity level, 800 calories is what I would need to consume to lose 2lbs/wk.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Put you stats in mfp, set activity level correctly and shoot for 1lb loss per week. Without your activity level I'm guessing it would give 1500 + calories to eat, no need to be so aggressive.
  • autumn_valentine
    autumn_valentine Posts: 2 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    MISSNYA92 wrote: »
    I’m not sure I follow...
    With my height, weight, measurements, and activity level, 800 calories is what I would need to consume to lose 2lbs/wk.

At your height/weight, you aren't really overweight enough to aim for a 2/lb per week loss. I am shorter than you by 2 inches and heavier by nearly 100 pounds and am still at ~1300 calories/day and experiencing steady loss.

ETA: Even if 800 calories/day wasn't heading into dangerous territory, it isn't something that most people could even DREAM of maintaining without turning into a monstrous hungerbeast after a week or two.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I’m not sure I follow...

No, it's not. I'm shorter than you are, had more weight to lose, and lost it eating 1200 calories per day plus exercise calories. Whatever calculation you used to arrive at 800 calories per day is incorrect. 2 pounds per week is not a realistic goal for you as you only have less than 30 pounds to lose.
  • MISSNYA92
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Okay, so... I’m hearing everyone say that a 2lb/wk weight loss goal is “bad”, but not why. If one pound is good, two pounds is great! That’s why it’s a goal! It’s s challenge.
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    I am almost 5'3
    I weight around 157 lbs.
    I eat at the minimum of 1200 a day without working out.
    You may not be moving much but even walking during the day, you are burning calories.
    On days I workout, I am eating closer to 2k.
    I lose weight.
  • autumn_valentine
    Options
    Okay, so... I’m hearing everyone say that a 2lb/wk weight loss goal is “bad”, but not why.

A 2lb/week goal isn't "bad" for everyone. But, for your height/weight it is not really a reasonable goal. For someone like myself or others who are well over 100 lb. overweight for their height, sure. Weight loss is something that takes time to do it the healthy way, not something you should "fast-forward" by making unhealthy choices.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Because you can lose weight on a regular deficit without adding exercise. 800 calories is not a lot, and you will lose a few pounds and then fall off the wagon. Why not put your stats into MFP and eat what they recommend. It works for so many people here. It is not a quick fix but it works.
  • consumone
    consumone Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You are just going to gain everything back two fold - you are not teaching yourself anything but how to starve yourself. 1200 is the amount you want to eat to lose.
This discussion has been closed.