If my calorie goal is 1300 can I eat whatever I want long as it doesn't go over 1300 and still lose?

Options
Thanks

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Yes

But you may want to eat a wide range of fruit, veg and lean proteins for better health.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    YES but consider filling foods like proteins, fruits & vegetables and not just 1300 of sweets or you will be hungry
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can.

Many people do find that certain ways of eating make it easier to stick to their calorie goal. This can include getting sufficient protein and/or fiber or choosing foods that allow you to eat a higher volume of food (800 calories of vegetables is a lot more volume than 800 calories of milkshake, for example). This doesn't mean you can't eat other things, it just means you might want to experiment to find out what foods make it easier to hit your goal consistently.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Remember that the goal of 1300 only takes into account the activity level you entered in MFP. If you burn more calories by doing additional exercise, you'll need to eat those calories as well.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Only if your TDEE is greater than 1300 calories.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    As the posters above me have said, yes. For weight loss, you just need to eat below your break-even/maintenance calories. BUT different foods make you feel fuller and eating a well-balanced diet will make it easier to get adequate nutrition.

A lot of people talk about an 80/20 rule (eating 80% nutrient-dense food and 20% treats). I'm not that exacting. But I do make sure to have room for desserts and snacks.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Yes.

But you want to choose your foods wisely. Make your choices so that you feel full enough on the amount of calories that you're eating so that you stick to your diet.

It's optimal to eat a nutritious diet, but ultimately, the best thing you can do for your health is to get your weight into a healthy range. I tend to think that nutrient dense diets offer more in the way of satiety, and that throwing in a few indulgences here and there ensures some dietary satisfaction.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Yes, but you need to spread it out throughout the day so you don't end up binging at the end of the day. You also need fiber, protein and other nutrients which you may not get if you scarf 1300 calories down in one sitting.

Not necessarily. It's totally personal preference. I eat only twice a day and one of those is just a snack. I have no nutrient deficiencies and eat a higher than average fiber diet.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I think it is beneficial to ensure you are getting a minimal amount of protein as well - as you lose weight, you are going to want to maintain and add muscle so you will have a more favorable body composition post-weight loss.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Yes, but you need to spread it out throughout the day so you don't end up binging at the end of the day. You also need fiber, protein and other nutrients which you may not get if you scarf 1300 calories down in one sitting.

Not necessarily. It's totally personal preference. I eat only twice a day and one of those is just a snack. I have no nutrient deficiencies and eat a higher than average fiber diet.

QFT. I intermittent fast (as all the hipsters are calling it now) and eat my first meal sometime in the afternoon. In fact, I haven't had anything to eat yet today. Just some tea. I'll have my first meal in a bit, and then dinner followed by dessert later. That will be it for the day.

Yesterday, I had 35 grams of fiber. I also get at least 100 grams of protein every day.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can eat anything you want and you will lose weight if you are in a calorie deficit, which you most likely will be at 1300 calories per day. Calories are all that matters for fat loss.

Eat foods you enjoy that meet your needs and help prevent hunger. Sweets and treats are fine though with only 1300 calories you'll quickly find that moderation is usually preferable with higher calorie foods.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    In theory, yes.

It's important for health, however (and may be for energy or how you feel too), to eat a balanced diet with plenty of protein, vegetables, and other nutrient-dense foods. You can certainly fit in your favorites, though, even if they are not as high in nutrients.

Also, what you choose to eat will make it easier or harder to stay at 1300 calories, although exactly what foods will make it easiest will depend on you.