Just about ready to quit....need a boost.

Options
I started July 5 with this diet and exercise routine. I am sticking below my alloted calories every day (1200) (with 2 exceptions) and have lost 12 pounds. I exercise every morning (usually 30 day Shred or other weight/ab work) and do a treadmill aerobic workout every evening. So far so good, right? Wrong. The 12 pound weight loss was as of 2 weeks ago. Everything was going great until then Since then I have gained a pound, lost a pound, gained 3 pounds, lost 1 pound, gained 2 pounds, lost 2 pounds, etc. Today I am 1 pound UP from my 12 pound weight loss 2 weeks ago. What am I doing wrong? I'm eating healthy (diabetes diet + lactose intolerant diet + coumadin restriction diet so it doesn't leave a lot of gray area) and I'm working out twice a day. The laws of science should come in to play: if you expend more calories than you ingest you lose weight. I'm really getting frustrated these last 2 weeks. It makes no sense to me how I could possibly GAIN weight. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• AmberBarrios
    AmberBarrios Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    MFP automatically figures your defecit for you. You probably aren't eating enough. Try eating back some of your exercise calories
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Which diabetic diet? Are you on the old exchange program, or are you low carb?
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    tx, plateaued 3 times, last one was for 16 weeks ,then it started to come off again........its part of the routine

I really dont think Ive ever met anyone where they lost weekly without some kind of stall.........it goes with the program

dont give up, youve lost already, just keep doing what you have been, its also good for your health as well......Lloyd
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    You need to stop weighing yourself daily..!!...That can be a real motivation killer right there...Try to only step on the scale once every two weeks...As for the weight fluctuations, it can be water or the fact that you are building muscle when you exercise... :flowerforyou:
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    My guess would be that you aren't eating enough. Eating below 1200 calories and working out .. your body is in starvation mode!
  • ShannaB83185
    ShannaB83185 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    tx, plateaued 3 times, last one was for 16 weeks ,then it started to come off again........its part of the routine

I really dont think Ive ever met anyone where they lost weekly without some kind of stall.........it goes with the program

dont give up, youve lost already, just keep doing what you have been, its also good for your health as well......Lloyd

I agree with what Lloyd said! I have heard of people plateauing for months before weigth comes off again! Don't give up!! Stick wtih your plan and I think you will see the weight come off again!! You CAN do it!

Quitting is NOT an option!!
  • pauterson
    Options
    And so if you quit what does that mean? Really? It's a lifestyle not just a quick loose and must loose consistently. Find other ways to change your mind set and make yourself understand that it's not all about the scale. Take photos, use a measuring tape, set little goals like lifting more weight to become stronger and doing faster/longer cardio to get your lungs and heart stronger. Quitting is not an option - if you quit, you just end up on this same path in a few years... that's where yo-yoing comes from!
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    When I plateaued I would increase my calories for a weekend and then get back to the 1200 and it usually kicked my metabolism back up. Good luck!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    if you are eating less than 1,200 calories/day, then your body has gone into starvation mode and is keeping all of those fat cells locked up hostage. TRUST AND EAT your calories.

plateaus happen. sometimes your body has to catch up with a rapid weight loss. losing 12 pounds in 2-3 weeks is rapid weight loss (although that happens early in a new diet regimen). you body might simply be adjusting to what is going on.

also, if you're generally eating only 1,200 calories/day, then its okay...even advisable...to have one or two cheat meals during the week where you eat extra carbs...so you trick your body that you will be feeding it enough carbs and your body doesn't need to hold onto the nasty fat cells.
  • sherismb
    sherismb Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising that much 1200 calories is not enough for you!! Your body is holding on to whatever you put it. You need to up your calories and switch up your exercise routine to something else.
  • Biffybeans1
    Biffybeans1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I don't have an explanation. However, be kind to yourself and think about not stepping on the scales quite so often. It sounds like your eating plan encompasses several health issues that you experience and I can appreciate that. I can't walk or exercise due to being a full time wheelchair user as a person with Muscular Dystrophy (can't move my own body and even if I could I can't have someone exercise my body in ways that go against gravity). Losing weight for me is a real uphill battle without the ability to exercise. I just try and be thankful that irrespective of how quickly I lose weight I am treating my body more respectfully and healthy by the way I eat. Hang in there! We all get discouraged....but this too can pass :o)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    1 - You have 16 lbs. left to lose, it's not going to drop right off, it slows down the less your body has to drop.

2 - 12 pounds since July 5th is not even a full month... that's EXCELLENT weightloss particularly since you have a low a amount to drop. Nothing wrong with that, so you must be doing something right!

3 - It takes patience, none of us gained our weight overnight and it sure won't drop off that way either! :flowerforyou:

4 - Quitting now won't help you get where you want to be and will only create more frustration... keep eating well, trying out new fruits and veggies and sources of healthy protein, adequate exercise, plenty of water and a positive attitude will help you go far!:drinker:
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    And so if you quit what does that mean? Really? It's a lifestyle not just a quick loose and must loose consistently. Find other ways to change your mind set and make yourself understand that it's not all about the scale. Take photos, use a measuring tape, set little goals like lifting more weight to become stronger and doing faster/longer cardio to get your lungs and heart stronger. Quitting is not an option - if you quit, you just end up on this same path in a few years... that's where yo-yoing comes from!

LIKE!!!!
  • Mommyof3loves
    Options
    Don't eat below 1200 calories a day...I was eating under that and I wasn't really losing anything it was a yoyo effect but since I changed that and are eating around 1300 calories I have been losing again, might not be a lot but it's still losing....I've been on here since the middle of May actively and I've only lost 11.6lbs but it's still a loss and I know it is going to take time. You'll be fine just up your calories and make sure you drink at least 8 glasses of water.
  • chuck5631
    Options
    I went through three weeks of no progress, just up and down a little. Then I started making progress again. Hang in there; try weighing in once a week.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options

THat's what I was thinking. Quit? Like stop working out and eating properly? That would TOTALLY help, right??
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    also, if you're generally eating only 1,200 calories/day, then its okay...even advisable...to have one or two cheat meals during the week where you eat extra carbs...so you trick your body that you will be feeding it enough carbs and your body doesn't need to hold onto the nasty fat cells.

Not as a diabetic.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    First never give up. Second Never Below 1200 calories. It would also be helpful if you would open the diary so we can see where you need help.

Also don't weigh in every day, once week or you will go crazy. I get on every day but leave the number there on the scale as only Friday Morning counts for me.

Are you getting enough water, protein and fiber. All should exceed the levels given. Are you limiting your fat, simple carbs and sodium?

Have many calories are you buring and how often?

As already mentioned you many not be eating enough depending on how much you have to lose.

Be Strong!
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    Good thoughts to share, so true!:heart:
  • Hearts_2015
    Options

Not as a diabetic.
    Actually I've never heard of that for a non-diabetic either. :happy: