First spin class.... OMG!!!

Options
So went to my first spin class last night. Now I thought I had a reasonable level of fitness, but Spin just shot my confidence! After about 2 mins, my legs were burning, and it was soooo hard!!

How did everyone else find spinning? Is it hard for everyone when starting? I know I have to work hard, but the burn in my thighs was so strong it was painful. Will it get easier???

Replies

• GreenSkinnyJeans
    GreenSkinnyJeans Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Sounds fun! I'm hoping to do my first spinning class tonight...if I can figure out if I'm aloud tooD:.
    Did you last the whole hour??
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Stick with it!! I remember that pain but I am now a spin addict...its worth it!!
  • unckat09
    unckat09 Posts: 97
    Options
    It will definitely get easier! Also, you might want to go to class a little earlier and talk to the instructor. You have to make sure that your seat is adjusted properly along with resistance. I was completely confused with resistance signals my first day.
  • jcannon15
    jcannon15 Posts: 148
    Options
    i love spinning, and yes it gets not easier but more tolerable. its def an amazing work out i averaged 1000 cal an hour burned so totally worth the pain.
  • merB89
    merB89 Posts: 122
    Options
    haha! totally hear what you're saying! It got easier for me. Dont be afraid to not go as high on the resistance as the teacher is telling you to at first so you can at least get through it and then soon enough you'll be right up there with the resistance
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    The saddle always makes my pelvic floor tender.
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Stick with it! You will love it. Make sure to talk with the instructor so that your bike is properly set up for your height. And you may want to take it easy your first few times with the resistance. But as you get stronger your legs will get stronger and you will have no problems and just a lot of fun!
  • jbinga
    jbinga Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to spin, too! Definitely stick with it. I recall some pain at first but you'll be able to see changes in your strength and endurance really quickly.
  • lisahightower2
    Options
    It gets easier! I took my first spin class a couple years ago and about died and decided I hated spinning. Never went again. But I've been working out pretty hard for the past few months and really building muscle and decided to give it another try. Now I love it! It's a great burn and I feel so proud of myself when I'm done.
  • nickiben
    nickiben Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It was a 45 min lesson, and that was enough!! There was a lot of standing up, and I kept having to sit back down again. My legs didnt ache this morning, but the muscles across my shoulders are soooo tender! Think it was from standing and leaning on the handle bars. Definitely made me feel unfit.

Hope you make class tonight, let me know how you found it....
  • cnada
    cnada Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love spinning!!! I've become a spin addict! The pain will lessen the more you go to class. Just stick with it, and let the music take over :-)
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    honestly died the first class but after that I got pro ;)
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! I started spinning about 4 months ago and was really intimidated. I wasn't able to hit the RPMs the instructor was shouting out, but I kept trying. the first month my tush really hurt after each class, but I hung in there. I will still say it is a challenge, but when I finish that class I feel so incredibly pumped and strong! I still stuggle with hitting the target RPMs sometimes, but I have come a long way. The other thing that I have noticed is periodically new people will try the class. Serveral of them have looked like they were in good shape, better than me for sure. At least 4 of them have quit the class in the middle. Good luck! I'm going tonight to class. I'll be thinking of you!:drinker:
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I am a total junkie i go 3 days a week at 6 am! I see other posted to ask for help with the bike, do it my seat was off about an inch and a half and it made my knees hurt.

the more you go the better you will get, i took me about a month to feel 100% comfortable i was doing everything correctly. The biggest complany of spin classes use the les mills programs, they have a great website that shows you how to master the basic moves. If your class doesnt use les mills still check it out becasue almost all the pther programs i have done are the same moves on the bike.

http://www.lesmills.com/global/rpm/about-rpm.aspx
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I always tell my students to start with a half hour and go longer after a couple weeks. Also, vaseline on your back side helps. So does a gel seat or bicycle shorts.

Good advice about adjusting the seat. Center your weight into your hips, not your knees.

New things always feel hard for the first couple weeks. You WILL catch up quick.
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Also if you really like it and are going to go frequently invest in some spinning shoes, they make a big difference in how you use your muscles. And a decent pair can be purchased for under $80.
  • nickiben
    Options
    Stick with it! You will love it. Make sure to talk with the instructor so that your bike is properly set up for your height. And you may want to take it easy your first few times with the resistance. But as you get stronger your legs will get stronger and you will have no problems and just a lot of fun!

The instructor kept sayin "turn it up!", and I kept thinking "I cant, I need to turn it down!!" I know I will see results, it was just a bit of a shock to the system :happy:
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for Spin class directly but I can tell you that I experienced the exact same thing when I picked up cycling again in May this year after quitting 5 years ago. You can do all the running and walking in the world, but you will never use the muscle groups that you do with cycling and spinning. Its just like any other exercise, once you body adjusts, it will get easier. I promise, just hang in there.
  • lisahightower2
    Options
    Yeah, if your arms were hurting you were gripping the handlebars too much. You gotta keep a light touch. It's something to work on. Hang in there! Go at your own pace and resistance! The class I took today the instructor was FLYING - her legs were a blur. No one else in the class could go that fast.
  • nickiben
    Options
    Also if you really like it and are going to go frequently invest in some spinning shoes, they make a big difference in how you use your muscles. And a decent pair can be purchased for under $80.

Yeah I saw those - the instructor had them on. I found I kept pulling the muscle in the arch of my foot?!? Really strange!!