Christmas!

Options
2»

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    At my house Christmas isn't that big of a deal. We have fairly normal meals. Our plan is chili on Christmas Eve and grilling burgers on Christmas Day. It isn't so food centered like Thanksgiving.
    We don't do alcohol or egg nog much here.
    There will be a dessert (maybe cake) and probably some candy.
    We are not traveling, having guests or going to tons of events.

One or two high calorie days aren't going to do that much.
  • Adamanda5
    Adamanda5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try not to eat a sugary breakfast in an effort to avoid sugar spikes/crashes and cravings that last all day, but I'll indulge in anything that is worth it, I'll eat lots of veggies for satiety, and I'll drink plenty of water. I would like to get in a good walk each day, as well.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Starting on December 20th at 10:30am I'm officially on Christmas break which starts off with my school's Christmas party....it's catered with an open bar...that is the official start of my merriment and I don't return to normal living until January 3rd when I return to work...basically I eat all the foods and don't stress it :D
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Christmas day isn't a big eating day in my house. It's my wife's family tradition to have a big breakfast that day, so I'll fix biscuits and bacon to go with her eggs. My young daughter has to work at her job in the afternoon.

It was my family tradition to have a huge dinner with marvelous desserts of banana pudding, coconut cake and pecan pie. I don't know how to make mom's banana pudding, my wife despises coconut, and me and pecan pie can't be seen together in this town.

I am kinda sorta planning to revisit the Dr Pepper Pulled Pork recipe soon and see if I can raise the level of expectations around here.
  • SheilaCali
    SheilaCali Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    When we lived near family, it was a bingefest from Tday through NYE. Now that we live away, it's a little easier. We still eat crazy decadent foods, but not until we burst. This is the first year I haven't gained (so far). What a coincidence- this the first year I've been on MFP! I'm logging the best I can. The biggest difference is that now I'm choosing the most satisfying foods, not just grabbing whatever's there. Choices abound, but I'm making them wiser.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    What does everyone do during the christmas period? On boxing day and christmas day do people eat lots and forget about their summer body for those days?? Or should i restrict what i eat and still count calories ??

I go somewhere in between. I eat what I want, but listen to my hunger cues so don't eat to excess that badly or eat food just because it is there. I experience a temporary increase in scale weight and it disappears within a few weeks.

Oh - and I am one who was born in December - New Year's Eve baby =)

12/7 here. ;-)

12/3 :o
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Another 12/7 here. Happy Birthday, December babies!
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    12/24 birthday here.

For me I will watch what I eat. Eat the foods I love but in sensible portion sizes. Remind myself that this isn't the one and only time I will get to eat this amazing food and be satisfied with what I eat. I will limit alcohol because the calories add up scary high. When out for a meal I do the old take half home trick most of the time where possible. I have advanced planned what I will eat for most meals as well so know where to eat lighter during the day.

It just takes a little thought and consideration and a lot of the weight gain can be mitigated. Also don't just eat for the sake of eating. The chocolates will still be there tomorrow. Also if you are in charge of buying the food and treats do not go overboard. People will probably thank you for it if you don't as they wont feel obliged to eat it all.

If the weather is good we are also going for a long walk Christmas day with our dog. Get some fresh air, space away from food and drink and earn our christmas dinner.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    This is my 4th Christmas at maintenance and each year is no different - I basically eat what I want for those two days and then its back to usual eating. I haven't logged my food in over a year apart from the odd day here and there to see what my average calories look like. For me eating what I want will mean I will go over my TDEE probably by around 500 calories, I can't eat large quantities of food any more without feeling really uncomfortable - I'm really good at knowing when enough is enough - I guess over time that becomes natural.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I am slower than Christmas - 12/26. One of my kids is 12/24.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    What does everyone do during the christmas period? On boxing day and christmas day do people eat lots and forget about their summer body for those days?? Or should i restrict what i eat and still count calories ??

I go somewhere in between. I eat what I want, but listen to my hunger cues so don't eat to excess that badly or eat food just because it is there. I experience a temporary increase in scale weight and it disappears within a few weeks.

12/7 here. ;-)

Happy (now late) birthday!
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind it was not just one day that made you gain that weight. One day won't set you back very far. But limit it to one day.

I will do my best not to over eat. But when I do over eat now I usually feel so crappy and sick it is a good lesson learned why not to do it again.
  • sdolan91
    sdolan91 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'll eat whatever I want on Christmas. :yum:
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I will eat what ever I want during the holiday
  • Mrs181
    Mrs181 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My goal is to stick to my calorie goals on the days that I can more easily control.
    I have six big events that I plan to enjoy. A few of them I may loosely log, however mindful eating may be the ultimate game plan.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i stay around maintenance for the last half of december. xmas eve and day i eat what i want and dont worry about it.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I will eat until I'm on the cusp of a blackout.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

12/7 here. ;-)

Happy (now late) birthday!

Thanks!
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    So far generally what I've done is to say "I can stay within my maintenance alotment, with flexibility on the actual macros...and this way I can enjoy every treat I wish without going over my calorie budget," and then proceeded to wake up the next morning splayed naked in the midst of a swarm of half-eaten pies, a thousand wrappers worth of Christmas stocking candy and mysteriously, an empty Crave Case, wondering what the hell happened during the 24-hour food blackout and feeling...sort of dirty. But good. Goooooooooooood. (Sorry not sorry.)

Merry Christmas!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    At parties and such I do not give calories much of a thought. I do eat lighter on non-party days this time of year.

We have 3 December birthdays in our family and one anniversary in addition to the usual holiday gatherings. It's a lot of parties. My favorite time of the year!