Cholesterol question

Options
I’ve recently changed my macros to more protein to support more strength training.
Eating all this protein has spiked my cholesterol limit each day. I know this is a controversial subject. But, does anyone know if this is any real thing to be concerned with? I have no health issues to date, but I have a family history and really don’t want to make any problems if I can help it. Any advice?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    This is a question for your doctor - especially if you have genetic cholesterol issues. For most people it's fine, but for some it isn't. Talk to your doctor.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    The only way to know if dietary cholesterol has a significant affect on blood cholesterol is through blood test monitoring. Do you think you are eating more cholesterol now than before you starting losing weight?
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    You can get protein without getting it from animal sources. There's no cholesterol in beans.
  • megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    You can focus on lean proteins like poultry, fish, lean pork, low fat dairy, egg whites, etc. I struggle with eating the volume of protein I need so I use a protein shake and get 30g of protein that way each day.
  • pumasareace
    pumasareace Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Massively complicated and controversial subject. IT depends who you listen to whether or not its a problem. If you want a really scientific answer then follow the link. It was a 9 part series and is VERY in depth. You can read all of it or look at the summary he does at the start of part IX.

http://eatingacademy.com/cholesterol-2/the-straight-dope-on-cholesterol-part-ix
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Eating cholesterol should not negatively affect your cholesterol unless you have familial hypercholesterolemia. Otherwise a higher fat and lower (refined) carb diet will generally improve cholesterol.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There are a variety of things that can improve cholesterol, weight loss and exercise having the greatest impact. But concentrating on MUFA/PUFA, fibrous fruits and veggies, oats, whole grains and fish should all help improve health.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with high cholesterol and triglycerides in my 20s. It runs in my family. I am a lactose intolerant vegetarian who doesn’t like eggs, so I was not eating very much dietary cholesterol. I was put on a statin, which I continued to need until I began working out and losing weight. After my first year of weight loss and regular exercise, my doctor took me off all medication and I haven’t needed any since then. That was two years ago and I have been managing my cholesterol and triglycerides without medication ever since. I wasn’t eating my cholesterol; my body was just making too much of it.

Dietary cholesterol may or may not make a difference for you and you should have your doctor continue to monitor it. There is evidence that it has much less impact on the amount of cholesterol in the blood than was previously thought (https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/panel-suggests-stop-warning-about-cholesterol-in-food-201502127713). So ultimately, I think you need to continue working with your doctor to figure out your own risk, but dietary cholesterol might not be as significant as we used to think it was.