What do you eat when you are on the run?

Options
I work "in the field" a few days a week. I am not much of a sandwich person. No microwave etc. what do you eat when you are out? Mostly I see fast food. And since it's a few times a week I don't want to break the bank

Replies

• dw920
    dw920 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Larabars, fruit, cooler/ice pack for things like deli meat or hardboiled eggs.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I agree with DW, but to add: hummus or guacamole & veggies, flavored tuna packets, other bars (i like RxBars & The GFB). Lately i've been big on making 'energy bites' on Sundays and eating them throughout the week. There are so many recipes all over the internet using different ingredients. Find recipes that store in the refrigerator, but don't require it for short-term. My recipe this week was this one https://momtomomnutrition.com/food-and-recipes/pb-j-bites/
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Protein bars are my go-to quick lunch: no refrigeration or microwave needed and I can keep one in my backpack in case I forget to bring something else.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I usually eat a protein bar for lunch. If I have time, I'll eat it with an apple or some baby carrots for some extra volume and nutrients. For bars, I look for ones that are about 200-300 cals with at least 20g of protein. Quest, Builder Bar, FitJoy and JimmyBar Protein are some of my favorites.

You can always find stuff like this at 7-11 or Walgreens if you forget to bring something.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I wait until I come home, mostly. How long are you "out and about"?
  • ESPRESSO_OR_ELSE
    ESPRESSO_OR_ELSE Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Eh, I'm so over granola bars.

It can be very difficult to find healthy food on the shelf that will keep in the field. A lot of shelf foods are processed. The preservatives, sugar/sodium and minimal nutrient content can be sabotage your diet in so many ways.

- Consider beans (kidney, black, lentils, etc...) that can provide protein. You can mix in seasoned roasted vegetables that you roasted in the oven. It would be a good idea to buy dry beans, soak and cook yourself to avoid the sodium content. You can also add in your own spices to the beans. Beans and roasted veggies will keep just fine for the day at room temp.
    - Dried/dehydrated meats or tuna that can provide protein. I don't recommend a bag of jerky due to sodium content. Rather, consider smoking chicken, turkey or fish yourself. Put the meat on a whole grain cracker with fresh avocado that you've sliced.
    - Assuming you can use one of those lunchbox ice packs... That really opens it up to a world of items that can be kept at cool temperatures... Consider hummus and whole grains, greek yogurt with added fruit and nuts, (I second) hard boiled eggs, turkey bacon, several good protein cheese/meat/nut snackables out there, ready-to-go salad kits (you can add in seasoned chicken/turkey/roast beaf from the deli counter -- or again put on whole grain snack crackers),
    - Snack items between meals (remember a serving size of protein is like the palm of your hand) can include nuts, bananas, apples... Add a dollop of peanut butter to any of the fruits to help counteract any sugar spike for added energy and sustainability.

Just a thought here... They sell lunchboxes that can be plugged into the lighter receptacle in your car... It can keep food warm or cold depending on your needs. I haven't researched too far, but I'm sure there are battery adapters versus having to plug into the lighter receptacle.