Will I lose weight eating like this?

Options
Sarahh10101
Sarahh10101 Posts: 6 Member
edited December 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm breastfeeding so I'm not really cutting out any food, I'm eating 1900 calories a day (assuming breastfeeding burns around 300-500) not sure if my log is open since I'm new I don't know how to do that but will I lose weight while still eating chocolate assuming I'm sticking to 1900 calories? I can't go any lower because of breastfeeding! Thanks in advance

EDIT: I'm not sure if I'm in a deficit, im 5ft5 and weigh 149 lbs, I'm not very active, only do light walks with a stroller and general household cleaning ect. I was hoping the breastfeeding would put me in a deficit but I'm not very educated on weight loss! And by eating chocolate MFP says I'm going over my daily sugar limit, dont know if it'll affect my weight loss is all.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If it puts you in a calorie deficit, yes. I wouldn’t have succeeded if I had cut chocolate out of my life.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Depends on your stats as to whether 1900 puts you in a deficit?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight while eating chocolate if you're at a calorie deficit. We don't know enough about you to know if 1,900 will be a calorie deficit for you, although it could be.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    As others have suggested... if 1900 cals puts in you a calorie (energy) deficit, then yes you will.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not open, but no why would eating some chocolate make a difference to weight loss if calories stay the same? Eating a little chocolate doesn't prevent you from eating a nutritious diet (which is important for health and because you are breastfeeding, of course).

Assuming 1900 is a calorie deficit for you (again, which I would expect it is with breastfeeding!) and your logging is accurate, you should lose. Is that the estimate MFP gave you? (You usually add 500 cal for the breastfeeding, I think.)
  • Sarahh10101
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Your diary is not open, but no why would eating some chocolate make a difference to weight loss if calories stay the same? Eating a little chocolate doesn't prevent you from eating a nutritious diet (which is important for health and because you are breastfeeding, of course).

Assuming 1900 is a calorie deficit for you (again, which I would expect it is with breastfeeding!) and your logging is accurate, you should lose. Is that the estimate MFP gave you? (You usually add 500 cal for the breastfeeding, I think.)

The reason I ask about chocolate is because MFP says I've gone over my daily sugar limit and things like that, I'm not very educated on all this since I've never had to lose weight before. Was wondering if going over what MFP gave me would affect anything is all. But yes I added extra 500 for breastfeeding.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

The reason I ask about chocolate is because MFP says I've gone over my daily sugar limit and things like that, I'm not very educated on all this since I've never had to lose weight before. Was wondering if going over what MFP gave me would affect anything is all. But yes I added extra 500 for breastfeeding.

Unless you have a medical reason to track sugar, I wouldn't worry about it
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Some people track sugar for health conditions, others track it because they are of the personal opinion that it will lead to better health to keep sugar below a certain amount. Other people (including me) just disregard MFP's sugar information.

Whatever you decide to do, your weight loss will be determined by the calories you eat. You can be under the sugar goal and lose weight, you can be way over it and lose weight.

So if you like chocolate it and you can fit it into a diet that is meeting your nutritional needs overall, I'd say go for it.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    TDEE calc with your metrics for a sed 30 yr old is ~ 1676. This will go up or down if you are younger / older.

Eating 1900 puts you ~ 225 surplus, before any other factors are considered.

At the low end of your breastfeeding estimate, after factoring in other inaccuracies, youre more likely to be at a sustain level. At the high end of your estimate, you could be losing up to ~ 1/2 lb. week.

YMMV based on age difference, additional activity, and accuracy of your measurements/estimates.
  • megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I don't trust the sugar tracker because it includes natural sugars as well as added sugars. It treats lactose in milk the same as the sugar in a soda. So I ignore that and just look at my carb count. I eat chocolate everyday and as long as it fits I lose weight. I'm also breastfeeding but eat less then 1900 but my baby is 14 months and only nurses at night. If your baby is less then 6 months I wouldn't cut your calories too much.
  • Sarahh10101
    Options
    megs_1985 wrote: »
    I don't trust the sugar tracker because it includes natural sugars as well as added sugars. It treats lactose in milk the same as the sugar in a soda. So I ignore that and just look at my carb count. I eat chocolate everyday and as long as it fits I lose weight. I'm also breastfeeding but eat less then 1900 but my baby is 14 months and only nurses at night. If your baby is less then 6 months I wouldn't cut your calories too much.

How much do you eat while managing to keep your supply? My baby is 7 months old so I'm not looking to go to extreme yet since she still needs milk for a while yet
  • Sarahh10101
    Options
    pmm3437 wrote: »
    TDEE calc with your metrics for a sed 30 yr old is ~ 1676. This will go up or down if you are younger / older.

Eating 1900 puts you ~ 225 surplus, before any other factors are considered.

At the low end of your breastfeeding estimate, after factoring in other inaccuracies, youre more likely to be at a sustain level. At the high end of your estimate, you could be losing up to ~ 1/2 lb. week.

YMMV based on age difference, additional activity, and accuracy of your measurements/estimates.

Thank you! I'm 27 years old so not much younger than your estimate. My baby is 7 months and only just started solids which isnt much per day so I'm sure I'm still at the high end of the calories burned for now.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    megs_1985 wrote: »

I look at sugar (I track at Cronometer), but just out of interest and to be sure there are no surprises (which there never are). I don't care how much sugar I get from fruit and veg and so on.

That said, the approach I've heard (similar to yours) is tracking carbs (to make sure you get enough fat and protein) and tracking fiber. If you aren't way over your carbs and meet the fiber goal, it's unlikely your diet has too many of the less nutritious sugar sources (although you have to use judgment and if you are supplementing fiber that might change things, of course).