Struggling to hit calories

Options
Is anyone else struggling to hit their calorie intake? Mine is set at 1790 for a day to lose weight. I'm a 6ft 2 guy weight about 213lbs. After I've done my cardio for the day (4x a week) I really struggle to hit the daily recommended amount of 1790 calories. Does anyone else find it hard and does anyone have any tips etc to help me hit my goals?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense foods........nuts, nut butters, avocado, olive oil.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Eat more calorie dense food with a focus on protein. It sounds like a pain in the *kitten* but you could also eat more frequently. For your current bodyweight, you could be around 2300-2500kcal/day and still be in a deficit if you're active.

You're pretty tall and without knowing your bf%, it seems you may be naturally lean with just some body fat to lose, though I could be wrong. Cardio seems to blunt hunger in a lot of people and strength training seems to increase appetite.

Besides fat loss, do you have any other goals; i.e. get stronger, build muscle, perform better at a sport, etc.?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Nope, I would happily eat 2500 if I could except I wouldn't be slim anymore lol

Silly question maybe but how did you get overweight (not that you're actually much overweight given your height) to begin with if you can't eat 1790 cals now? 1790 is a low day for me on maintenance and I'm only 5ft 2.

As above says choose calorie dense foods, nuts and peanut butter are my go to except I usually don't have the calories to spare...
  • nowmartin2001
    nowmartin2001 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I understand that I have obviously eaten more than 1790 calories to have gained weight in the first place. All my meals were very bad and since I've started eating better quality foods and higher levels of protein I feel a lot more full all of the time. I guess I will just eat more even if I don't feel too hungry.
  • nowmartin2001
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    Eat more calorie dense food with a focus on protein. It sounds like a pain in the *kitten* but you could also eat more frequently. For your current bodyweight, you could be around 2300-2500kcal/day and still be in a deficit if you're active.

You're pretty tall and without knowing your bf%, it seems you may be naturally lean with just some body fat to lose, though I could be wrong. Cardio seems to blunt hunger in a lot of people and strength training seems to increase appetite.

Besides fat loss, do you have any other goals; i.e. get stronger, build muscle, perform better at a sport, etc.?

I would say I'm fairly lean yes. About 99% of my excess weight is stomach and chest area. I've ran a few marathons so I suppose my main goal is to keep beating my best times.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Or you could prevent "falling off the wagon" by eating all the foods you like in moderation. Demonizing foods (calling them "bad) intensifes our desire for them. No foods or meals are in themselves bad, it's about amounts and frequency, balance and context. Forcing yourself to eat "healthy" food will have the opposite of the desired effect. And keep in mind that hunger can need some time to catch up on you, but it will; you're in the honeymoon phase and no phase lasts forever.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I understand that I have obviously eaten more than 1790 calories to have gained weight in the first place. All my meals were very bad and since I've started eating better quality foods and higher levels of protein I feel a lot more full all of the time. I guess I will just eat more even if I don't feel too hungry.

Just make sure you are logging correctly. Invest in a food scale if you aren't currently using one before eating just to make a calorie goal.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Or you could prevent "falling off the wagon" by eating all the foods you like in moderation. Demonizing foods (calling them "bad) intensifes our desire for them. No foods or meals are in themselves bad, it's about amounts and frequency, balance and context. Forcing yourself to eat "healthy" food will have the opposite of the desired effect. And keep in mind that hunger can need some time to catch up on you, but it will; you're in the honeymoon phase and no phase lasts forever.

QFT
  • nowmartin2001
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »

Just make sure you are logging correctly. Invest in a food scale if you aren't currently using one before eating just to make a calorie goal.

I am defiantly logging correctly. I do have a food scale. I guess I am fairly new to the calorie counting side of a diet/ lifestyle change. I do appreciate all the input everyone has given me
  • nowmartin2001
    Options

Stop thinking food is good or bad, that'll help...

Would you not consider takeaways and pre made foods etc as bad? Or is that still approaching things from the wrong direction?
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options

Stop thinking food is good or bad, that'll help...

Would you not consider takeaways and pre made foods etc as bad? Or is that still approaching things from the wrong direction?

No they are not "bad" foods. You're calling them bad foods and it makes your feel like you're doing something wrong.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

Exactly. Not all "health food" is healthy, nor is all "junk food" garbage.

@nowmartin2001 since your goal is to perform better for marathons, but have some torso fat to lose, do some resistance training. It doesn't have to be traditional lifting (calisthenics can also be pretty intense), but pure focus on consistent cardio is catabolic to everything besides fat (think muscle, tendons, cartilage, etc.). Ideally, you want to retain as much muscle and lose fat. Resistance training and progressively overloading will retain/reduce the amount of lean mass lost while shedding fat. Proper protein will be synergistic with that. It also supports your running.