Ketogentic Beginner

Options
SarahAndRango
SarahAndRango Posts: 3 Member
Is anyone using this app to help them with beginning a Ketogenic Lifestyle/Diet?

Replies

• deangerlach
    deangerlach Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My wife and I just started about 5 days ago.
  • deangerlach
    deangerlach Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You will need to adjust the goals in your food diary to be accurate. The defaults give way too many carbs and not enough fat
  • SarahAndRango
    Options
    I definitely want to try it, just unsure of how to get started
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    Go here. Lots of info for beginners and a place to get your questions answered.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have an open diary for friends. Good luck on your journey - it's an amazing lifestyle.
  • SarahAndRango
    Options
    Question: do you go by total carbs or by net carbs?
    How do you calculate the net carbs?
  • dimaslopes
    dimaslopes Posts: 36 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    net carbs = total carbs - fiber

for myself i started using as guide some tables and charts that contains which food with less Glicemic index, but i eat according to Glicemic Load
    in other words, you can eat a slightly higher glicemic food in very low quantities (like dark chocolate) but i avoid very high loads of low glicemic index foods (careful with those zuchinnis and cherry tomatoes)
    it works for me
  • puzzlingkirsten
    puzzlingkirsten Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm new to eating keto too!

In regards to net carbs, do you also subtract sugar alcohol? I've seen people subtract it but I don't really understand why...?

Feel free to add me!
  • dimaslopes
    dimaslopes Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i don't.
    sugar alcohols like xylitol (erythritol) are in fact chains of alcohols that taste like sugar but don't spike your insulin levels because they don't metabolise the same way in your body, people just substract because of this but remember that they still possess calories.
    Stevia for example isn't a polyalcohol but it does not metabolise like sugar too and it is negligible in calories.
  • megsbabes27
    megsbabes27 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started the keto diet on Nov. 27th and ive already lost 7 lbs.. once i changed my settings in this app it made things ALOT easoer for me... i eat a real simple diet cause im just starting too.. so right now im not foolong around with too many recipes.. jist focusing on my eating plan and tracking my macros...
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do keto when I want to jumpstart my weight loss and then I typically stay low glycemic and low carb to maintain. This app has been helpful to count carbs and sugars.
  • MaryBethHempel
    MaryBethHempel Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    What is the difference between the Keto and Atkins?
  • vmunoz_9359
    vmunoz_9359 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I’m kinda new to it but yes I use this app to track my meals. I had to adjust the percentages but it works great for me.
    Always looking to learn more about all this stuff.
    Feel free to friend me! Good luck!!! You got this!