I just can't get started again.

Options
I don't know why. I think a lot of it is I'm under a lot of pressure for work right now, the holidays and family (I have three daughters all under 10) and what not. I just can't seem to get back to eating healthy and working out.

Last night, I didn't do so bad: I had a very light lunch and while I didn't get to go to the gym due to an extra long meeting at work I felt pretty good. Then my wife made chicken cutlet sandwiches with bacon (on rolls, and I mean good deli rolls) and I devoured two of them. Even worse was at that point (and I'm sure you guys know the feeling) I just said "F*** it" and ate whatever else looked good in the kitchen until I was bursting.

Of course, I regret it now today. I'm bloated as crap, my work pants feel tighter than usual, and I just feel like a big sack of crap. And this has been going on now for the last month or so, since I got back from a business/vacation trip I took. I did great for five months before that, and I gave myself the week of the business trip as time off (and all I really did was drink, although I ate a lot of BBQ) but the problem is since getting back I've just fallen back into bad habits.

The worst part? Now I'm telling myself that it's the holidays and I can start after New Years.

Merry Christmas.

Replies

• rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Why don't you shoot for eating at maintenance for awhile until after the holidays. That way, no damage done and you can start fresh in the new year. What works for me when I fall off track is looking at pictures of myself and remembering why I want to be healthier. My friend told me no food tastes as good as skinny feels and I try and repeat that to myself when I'm not hungry but want to eat. Good luck!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you feel the need to eat until you are bursting (the "what-the-hell-effect"), I doubt you were doing great... rather denying yourself pleasure from food, maybe even eating too little. You can turn this around by seeing eating and moving as normal, everyday parts of a good, happy life, and structure family meals and some fun exercise to fit into your day.
  • I_am_the_Cosmos
    I_am_the_Cosmos Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If you feel the need to eat until you are bursting (the "what-the-hell-effect"), I doubt you were doing great... rather denying yourself pleasure from food, maybe even eating too little. You can turn this around by seeing eating and moving as normal, everyday parts of a good, happy life, and structure family meals and some fun exercise to fit into your day.

I was definitely not eating too little: I made sure to eat between 1500 and 1800 calories a day, and I tried to genuinely have food I liked as opposed to the old 'Chicken everything' diet. The difference being having maybe one sandwich, not two: drinking Dr. Pepper as opposed to Coke Zero or water: and drinking a heck of a lot of beer.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    I'd say do what @88olds said, especially the part about letting yourself use the holidays as an excuse. It just puts unspoken, needless pressure on yourself, which is not necessary. If you wait until after the holidays then you'll probably over eat and then feel even worse about yourself and have even more work to do.

Make the best decisions and choices you can RIGHT NOW. And the next hour, the next meal, the next day. The sooner you start making small changes successfully the better you'll feel.
  • puzzlingkirsten
    puzzlingkirsten Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I totally feel this. I am notorious for letting the "what-the-hell" effect run me. So far this year, I've been able to turn down the treats that I would normally binge on because I'm feeling satisfied, I'm doing this for a reason, my husband is on board and I want the weight gone more than I want the cookies. Honestly, my husband doing it with me is probably the main reason I'm doing as well as I am.

I think @rbiss has a good idea. Maintain until New Years and then start up again, but I would also do like @88olds said and start tracking everything right now. Then you know exactly what you're working with and how you can improve once you do start up for loss again.

Lastly, don't beat yourself up. We've all been there. We're human, we make mistakes. Fall down 9 times, get up 10. You can do this! If you want to add me, please do. I'd love to be there to provide support day in and day out!
  • ehloring
    ehloring Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Whenever I seem to start to get myself under control- something "emotional" happens and throws me off track. So I am trying again. Here is what I am doing. Maybe some of my plan will help you.

I always feel tired and unmotivated in my life when I overeat. It is amazing that even after just one day tracking my foods and eating better - I have a burst of energy. My body is obviously running more efficiently.
    When I joined this app- I made sure I allowed myself a much higher calorie allowance- 1800. I haven't eaten that amount yet in a single day but it is there if I need it.
    I am only 3 days in but I am trying. Evenings are the hardest. I try to close my day with a cup of hot tea (Earl Grey). It brings closure to my eating.
    My biggest hurdle will be when I actually have a bad eating moment and how I will handle it. Will I be able to put it behind me or will it be a catalyst to derail all the good I have done so far.
    It's hard. Try to make small changes and keep going forward. Good luck to you!
  • I_am_the_Cosmos
    I_am_the_Cosmos Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I feel a bit better, and like the old proverb "one day at a time".
  • KeshiaV
    KeshiaV Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    The “F-it eat all the things” mentality: Been there. Done that. SO. MANY. TIMES. I recently had a run in with a pint of ice cream and 3/4 of a brick oven pizza that I’m not proud of.

I’ve had the most success jumpstarting my workout and logging habits by setting a “just for today” intention. Everyday, I text a close friend my “just for today” goals. Maybe that day it’s to avoid the cinnamon rolls in the break room or to log everything I eat regardless. Sometimes, my goal is fitness related- attend a specific class or lay out my work out gear in prep for the gym the next day. Sometimes my goal is body image related ... working to replace a negative comment I make about my body or my fitness journey with a phrase that encourages continued growth.

Small or large, I never have more than 2 intentions/goals for the day. If I don’t make it, I get a fresh restart tomorrow. And if I do, hooray, one day closer to the best version of myself. I’ve found daily goals to be much more meaningful and purposeful than a weekly or monthly goal that felt too nebulous and distant.

Good luck. It’s not easy. Future you will thank past you for starting today.
  • rhonda7694
    rhonda7694 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I feel the exact same way. Cannot get into it. I say i have to eat better then it don’t happen and i end up saying f***k it

I don't know why. I think a lot of it is I'm under a lot of pressure for work right now, the holidays and family (I have three daughters all under 10) and what not. I just can't seem to get back to eating healthy and working out.

Last night, I didn't do so bad: I had a very light lunch and while I didn't get to go to the gym due to an extra long meeting at work I felt pretty good. Then my wife made chicken cutlet sandwiches with bacon (on rolls, and I mean good deli rolls) and I devoured two of them. Even worse was at that point (and I'm sure you guys know the feeling) I just said "F*** it" and ate whatever else looked good in the kitchen until I was bursting.

Of course, I regret it now today. I'm bloated as crap, my work pants feel tighter than usual, and I just feel like a big sack of crap. And this has been going on now for the last month or so, since I got back from a business/vacation trip I took. I did great for five months before that, and I gave myself the week of the business trip as time off (and all I really did was drink, although I ate a lot of BBQ) but the problem is since getting back I've just fallen back into bad habits.

The worst part? Now I'm telling myself that it's the holidays and I can start after New Years.

Merry Christmas.

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options

I was definitely not eating too little: I made sure to eat between 1500 and 1800 calories a day, and I tried to genuinely have food I liked as opposed to the old 'Chicken everything' diet. The difference being having maybe one sandwich, not two: drinking Dr. Pepper as opposed to Coke Zero or water: and drinking a heck of a lot of beer.

Bearing in mind you're a guy that still could be too little, as a 5'8" woman I am losing on 1750 net, my actual total intake on active days can be 2100-2400.
  • sfinsc
    sfinsc Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I so understand what you're going through! I've had to travel a lot for work this year, and when I travel, I eat really, really badly. I'd reached my goal weight, but am far away from it right now. It felt like such a letdown to have achieved that goal and then be back where I used to be.

Like you, I found myself saying things like, "Well, I'm not feeling well today. I'll just eat this chocolate." or "Well, it's Thanksgiving/my birthday/a work trip," etc. etc. I realized that I'd always find an excuse and it was never going to get better until I took it one day at a time and started right away.

Something I find I always regret is not logging my calories like I should. So I began a week ago and man, does it make a difference! I also got rid of all junk food in my house that looked good to me (stuff my kids like is fine) and told my husband to not buy me any more chocolate. I know I like to keep my mouth busy, so I have plenty of herbal tea on hand.

Now that I've been good about logging, I budget every day for a treat at the end of the day when I'm under my calorie goal (treats can be mochi, Doritos chips, toast and jam). I'm okay with having a few, easy-to-calculate treats in my pantry now that I'm past the "if it's there I'm gonna eat it" phase. If I get to that phase again, I'm going to throw it all out and start over!

Do you have things you know work for you (tea, gum, healthy snacks/meals that make you feel full and satisfied)? Plan ahead and make sure you have those things there so you don't reach for the unhealthy stuff. Enlist your wife's help in weight loss. If I tell my husband I'm serious, he knows not to buy me treats at the store.

Good luck! We can do this!
  • janicejean1953
    janicejean1953 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Don't wait until after the holidays, that means more weight to take off and you will feel horrid. I am in the same rut. Just need to push yourself. If you can, exercise at home if you can't get to your gym. Do a walking tape or whatever DVD you may have for exercise. If you have none, then try the basics of exercise at home or get out and walk. Every movement counts. Plan your meals and remember why you are doing this for YOU.