Exercise calories

Options
My daily calorie intake is 1,200 and I try to exercise/workout 4x a week. Todays food diary was 761 calories and exercise at 718. That netted me 43, but I don’t want to “eat” back my calories.

Can anyone explain to me how it works for someone who want to stay strictly withhin 1,200 calories a day while exercising?

Replies

• Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'm set at 1200 and get around 500 exercise calories a day. I usually eat back 300-400 of them. I'm still losing weight pretty quickly.

Like the above person said, you will crash and burn at 1200. Would you rather lose slowly and keep it off, or lose a few pounds fast only to gain back twice as much. Your choice.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I don’t understand your description of your exercise calories and calorie burn. Do you mean that you ate a total of 761 calories and burned a total of 718 calories today?
  • novamagma
    novamagma Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Your goal is to NET 1200. You should only be wary about eating back your calories if you're netting at much higher ranges. If you want to net 1200 calories a day, I'd recommend eating at about 1500 or 1600 plus exercise. Much less dangerous and more sustainable
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You are not staying within 1200 calories, you are at 43 calories. That is unhealthy and dangerous. What more needs to be said.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    dualvans wrote: »
    My daily calorie intake is 1,200 and I try to exercise/workout 4x a week. Todays food diary was 761 calories and exercise at 718. That netted me 43, but I don’t want to “eat” back my calories.

Can anyone explain to me how it works for someone who want to stay strictly withhin 1,200 calories a day while exercising?

Exercise calories aside, why are you eating 761 calories and not 1200?

• deviousme7
    deviousme7 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you consistently eat under 1200, in about 3 months, your hair will start falling out by the handful
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    You posted something similar in May 2016 @dualvans , and you had 60lbs to lose... if it wasn't sustainable then, what makes you think it will be now?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10392357/total-calorie-from-food-and-exercise/p1

• dualvans
    dualvans Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It’s my first day back on MFP after long hiatus from my summer of 2016. I agree with most that eating under 1200 isn’t substainable and I have a feeling my 761 exercise is inaccurate since I didn’t work out that hard yesterday, only ran for 3.miles over duration of 30 mins. It’s also a technical issue with my Fitbit not syncing up the e revises too, we Igor is why my numbers isn’t accurate,

But I was asking more of in general, if one is eating all of 1,200 calories. Should I also be eating back my exercise calories as well?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It’s my first day back on MFP after long hiatus from my summer of 2016. I agree with most that eating under 1200 isn’t substainable and I have a feeling my 761 exercise is inaccurate since I didn’t work out that hard yesterday, only ran for 3.miles over duration of 30 mins. It’s also a technical issue with my Fitbit not syncing up the e revises too, we Igor is why my numbers isn’t accurate,

But I was asking more of in general, if one is eating all of 1,200 calories. Should I also be eating back my exercise calories as well?

Yes - that's the way this site is designed.
    Ask yourself why they would get added if you weren't supposed to be eating them!
  • dualvans
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Yes - that's the way this site is designed.
    Ask yourself why they would get added if you weren't supposed to be eating them!

Gotcha. That is precisely why I am asking. It actually makes sense, because I just logged in all my food I’m going to eat today. Will have 47 calories left and that’s before snacks and any night eating that I tend to fall into. No wonder I’m not losing any weight, which I knew realistically.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Running is fairly easy to calculate... bodyweight in lbs x 0.63 x distance in miles.

And then eat them back.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Aggressive deficits help you lose weight faster, but the trade-off is it's harder for your body to support existing lean muscle. Fast weight loss often sacrifices a larger % of lean muscle. For fat loss....slow down.

Now, aggressive deficits don't stop one from losing weight - https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/761810/the-starvation-mode-myth-again/p1

Weight loss won't be linear. Some weeks you may lose as expected, and other weeks nothing. But you should see a downward TREND over time. There are apps that help people deal with the maddening fluctuations of the scale....Trend Weight is one.

If you stop seeing weight loss (for several weeks) then you are likely eating more than you think, or your exercise calorie burns are less than you think.....in other words you are no longer in a deficit.
  • dualvans
    Options
    [quote="

Running is fairly easy to calculate... bodyweight in lbs x 0.63 x distance in miles.

And then eat them back.[/quote]

This kind of info is quite useful to me, especially as a newbie starting again with my FPM journey. That makes sense! As according to your formula, I gained 374 calories back from my 3 mile run yesterday.

I just wish Fitbit calculate it correctly and sync up correctly to my MFP! Cuz 761 yesterday, I felt was incorrect even with the little I know about exercise and numbers. Thanks.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat back your exercise calories then use a TDEE calculator, not mfp for your goal. But a TDEE calculator is not going to give you 1200 calories. It will give you a number that is roughly what mfp gives you plus your exercise calories.

Did you get a 761 exercise adjustment from fitbit, or did fitbit show that you burned 761 calories during your run? The exercise adjustment from fitbit isn't actually an exercise burn. It is the difference between what mfp expects you to burn all day and what fitbit shows that you are burning.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    [quote="

And then eat them back.

This kind of info is quite useful to me, especially as a newbie starting again with my FPM journey. That makes sense! As according to your formula, I gained 374 calories back from my 3 mile run yesterday.

I just wish Fitbit calculate it correctly and sync up correctly to my MFP! Cuz 761 yesterday, I felt was incorrect even with the little I know about exercise and numbers. Thanks.
    [/quote]

But that's not how fit bit syncs. Fitbit sends MFP your total calorie burn, not just exercise. Your adjustment is the difference between what you burned and what MFP thought you should burn.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Exercise calories aside, why are you eating 761 calories and not 1200?

My thoughts exactly.....
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    [quote="

And then eat them back.

But that's not how fit bit syncs. Fitbit sends MFP your total calorie burn, not just exercise. Your adjustment is the difference between what you burned and what MFP thought you should burn.[/quote]

Exactly. If I'm set to sedentary but I walk 10,000 steps whether I purposefully exercised or not I exceeded what MFP thought I would burn as sedentary. It will give ME personally around 300 calories because I moved more than I told MFP I would.