How does one burn over 1000 calories a day?

Options

Replies

• liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I can burn up to 400-500 calories in a one hour workout no problem, so if I hit the gym for 2 hours that would get me there. However, I don't see the purpose of spending more than an hour in the gym.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    You have to take into account weight as well...a 300-pound person is going to burn more doing the exact same exercise as a 150 pound person simply because they are expending so much more energy to move that kind of weight.

I'm not an expert, but would disagree with that statement. This is what I use to calculate since my HRM doesn't work when GPS isn't on. http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm. If I weigh less, I burn more than when I weigh more.

I run and if I run for an hour or more I can really burn that many calories . I also can burn that many working out 2x per day doing different things - like Insanity and something more mild in the evening. I work out fairly intensely, that's what it takes. But, I would caution someone who's just getting into exercise to be careful of that.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I do not strive to burn 100 every day, though I know people who do. I have only hit that number a couple times, and those have usually been on days where I actually dragged my lazy @ss outta bed early and did a workout, then met up with my BFF at the gym after work for a class. I typically burn 500-700 in my fitness classes, but again, I'm a big girl. ;)
  • JeremiahStone
    JeremiahStone Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Do a light run in the morning. 200 calorie burn. A stretching and other small exercises through out the day. 300 calorie burn. A long run during the end of the day. 400 calorie burn. And atleast half an hour of weights during the end of the day. 200 calorie burn.
    Comes out to around 1100 caloric burn.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    You have to take into account weight as well...a 300-pound person is going to burn more doing the exact same exercise as a 150 pound person simply because they are expending so much more energy to move that kind of weight.

I'm not an expert, but would disagree with that statement. This is what I use to calculate since my HRM doesn't work when GPS isn't on. http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm. If I weigh less, I burn more than when I weigh more.

I run and if I run for an hour or more I can really burn that many calories . I also can burn that many working out 2x per day doing different things - like Insanity and something more mild in the evening. I work out fairly intensely, that's what it takes. But, I would caution someone who's just getting into exercise to be careful of that.

I'm sorry, but I can promise you that being 270 lbs I burn almost twice what my friend does (around 140) doing the exact same class, same duration. It takes a lot more out of me to walk or run than it does her, and I most definitely have seen LOWER calorie burns as I lose the weight.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Since no one's mentioned it yet, I will - there's no reason to shoot for that high of a calorie burn, unless you want to do it once in a while just as a personal challenge. As long as you're working out seriously for around 45-60 minutes a day, you're golden.

This - if you want to, ok, but there's no rule stating you have to burn that kind of calories. I burn 250-300 a day on average and have lost 29 pounds in 4 months.
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that a effort like that will deplete your muscles of glycogen (energy) in fact preventing you from exercising more often as supposed to harder. I'd take 7 days of 500 cal workouts = 3500 than 3 x 1000 which in part what will do for you is to burn in your brain the idea that working out is painful as if we don't go through enough self-negative-talk.
  • patriciaachish
    patriciaachish Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    1.) My daily gym routine lasts like 60-80 minutes (depends on how long my breaks are), includes cardio and strength work outs, burns 600 calories and that's doing 30-45 minutes of cardio and the remaining minutes for strength training.

2.)
    A. when I'm working out alone I sometimes spend an extra 1 hour in either cross trainers or elliptical trainers and I burn around 500-600 calories in that hour... THAT'S ADDITIONAL TO MY DAILY GYM ROUTINE.

B. when I'm with my boyfriend, we play competitive badminton for an hour to an hour and a half, and that burns around 500-600 calories as well... This is also additional to my daily gym routine...

TOTAL CALORIES BURNED FOR A DAY: +/- 1200 (2-3 hours of working out and/or playing sports with my daily gym routine)
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    mkay im only a tad heavier than you when i want to burn 1000+ cals i walk to town 6miles round trip i do that twice 1-2 of those miles are Uphill takes 1hr 30mins each round trip way so a total of 3 hours but i do not do it all at once (i use my hrm to determine my calories burned)
  • kellogsmscott
    kellogsmscott Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I do sometimes through skating, roller derby training
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Zumba or dancing, running , swimming, playing baseball, ultimate Frisbee and so many other fun things to do to burn so many calories in a day.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I go hiking a lot - wearing a 20-30 pound backpack on steep, mountainous trails. It's pretty easy to burn 1000 calories that way!
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    When I burn 1000+ calories I work out for 90-100 minutes. 1 hour cardio, 30-40 minutes of strength training. I wear a HRM and it tells me I have been burning some more than the machines say. I have no idea about mfp's estimates never tried. But as others say I weigh a little over 50lbs more than you I will easily burn more than you.
  • gabrielleshannonhatt
    Options
    there's this machine at the gym i go to that is called the arc trainer. it's kind of like the eliptical but it works all of your body. going at a slow and steady pace i can burn 800 calories in an hour. if i bust my *kitten* a little more then i can burn well over 1000 calories.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Its not uncommon for me to burn 1k calories a day in the gym, my usual gym day consists of atleast 2 gym classes (going up to 4), with an hrm.

which can range me from 1100 cals to 2800 cals depending on the classes. (a few times over 3000 from walking long distances before and after my classes).

I built myself up for these durations.

However it is alot better that you do what you find comfortable and enjoy to aid you with your fitness, trust me i wouldnt do the classes if i didnt enjoy them.
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    it could be combined calories from a couple or a few different things too- it doesn't list them seperately on the "news" area. For example i'll burn 500+ in a day, but I logged three different things, like walked 3 miles, tracy anderson 30 min dvd and 30 min jillian michaels dvd and instead of your news listing all that it'll just say "starlage burned 512 calories doing exercises including tracy anderson " and I'll get comments like "WOW BIG BURN! GOOD JOB!" and I"m like "thanks but it wasn't all at once." Just an idea.
  • jackiemonx
    jackiemonx Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Much thanks for all the suggestions! It seems running/biking for an hour is the suggested form of exercise to burn a big amount... which translates as impossible for me at the moment. The main reasons is, I'm not physically fit enough to actually run for an hour. I can't quite even complete 1 round at the track by running, which is why I alternate between running and brisk walking. :(

I tried to start the C25K in hopes of finally being able to run for a good length of time, but it's been difficult to actually put it to practice because it rains a heck load where I live. I also live in a city, so hiking and all that nice nature stuff is out too. :(

Most of my cardio at the gym is spent by doing intervals though (in hopes of burning more and increasing my endurance as well), but even pushing it like crazy (for me) with high intensity intervals for 30 minutes... or more accurately 25 minutes of intervals, with 5 minutes of warm up, I'm burning about a little under 300 according to the elliptical machine at the gym. I don't know whether doing intervals is supposed to burn more calories, but it seems the machines register them the same way whether you're going at a steady pace or alternating high intensities. I guess my question would then be: is there a difference in the amount of calories burned in a session of intervals vs steady pace (other than saved time or after burn, etc.)?

Thanks again, all! :)

hey, if you do say 3 miles steady run, or 3 miles interval your still going to burn the same as ur body is going the same distance. although your pace is steady on the steady run, youl be going faster then slower than that on the interval so it will prob even itself out to the same pace as if you were doing a steady run, so it will burn the same......hope that makes sense lol
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Just know that it takes a lot of time and effort to put up 4-digit calorie burns.

Personally, I burn 1000- 1300+ a few times per week on any of my 6+ mile trail runs. I'm 38 and 180lbs, and maintain nearly 160bpm HR to accomplish that too (8:30 minute miles with 1500 ft elevation gains).

I'm not alone in that either. Lots of distance runners put out bigger numbers than that, even at slower paces. You just have to be at it longer.

You can't just run out and pull off a feat like that without hating it or injuring yourself. Put in a solid effort and shoot for lower numbers. As your fitness improves, so will your intensity levels, and consequently, you'll burn more calories.
  • jhew86
    jhew86 Posts: 3
    Options
    Well call it basic and simple but if you want to burn 1000 calories a day (which is kinda insane by the way as thats about half or more of what you need to stay alive), I would say up the cardio, add intensity with light weights (ie: weighted squats, dumbell overhead squat press, etc ... see GSP Rushfit [google it]), base your diet around slow burn proteins like chicken, fish, chicpeas , and mixed nuts, and eat six small snack-like meals per day rather than three larger ones so the metabolism is kept burning. I also have had a great deal of success with green tea extract and CLA suplements. I am an amature mixed martial arts competitor and I often use green tea (cold) in my recovery drinks before fight day so I can make weight for my division. Another route, although not recommended, would be to consume fewer calories than you are burning in daily activity (if you burn 500 calories during your workout also subtract 500 calories from your daily food intake to make up the 1000 calorie defecit. if you need any further advice feel free to message me, I may not be a certified trainer but I have been at this for a very long time and have found many strategies that work.
    p.s. check out beachbody.com, the forums are excellent resources and there are several online coaches who will be more than happy to steer you in the right direction.