NEW IMPROVED Diet plan, what do you think?

Options
Hey guys I previously posted a diet plan of macros on here a couple of weeks ago and got tons of advice so thank you first off! Also, I've amended(hopefully improved!) my macros, so let me know what you think! My aim is to hopefully lose fat gradually and slowly(the healthier safer way according to much done research done by yours truly).

Intro; I am a 20 year old male currently weighing in at 93/94kg(205/207lbs). I'm just over 6ft and I am going to start going gym when I start this diet.

My diet is:
Carbs: 215g (111g from sugars, of that 32g-44g are from refined sugars)
Fat: 70g(mostly from salmon, avocado, tuna oil from tuna tins and chicken nuggets:)
Protein: 169g
Total calorie intake: 2193kcal

Moreover, I'll be doing HIIT sessions every couple days (2-3 times a week) and will be burning around 2-300 calories each session in addition to weight training five days a week.

Alright guys, let me have it what do you think?! Good, bad or any improvements or changes you'd personally make?

Last thing, I'm eating roughly 311g of chicken breast for lunch which has 75g of protein; is most of that being wasted because it's too much?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Ayo_s97 wrote: »
    Hey guys I previously posted a diet plan of macros on here a couple of weeks ago and got tons of advice so thank you first off! Also, I've amended(hopefully improved!) my macros, so let me know what you think! My aim is to hopefully lose fat gradually and slowly(the healthier safer way according to much done research done by yours truly).

Intro; I am a 20 year old male currently weighing in at 93/94kg(205/207lbs). I'm just over 6ft and I am going to start going gym when I start this diet.

My diet is:
    Fat: 70g(mostly from salmon, avocado, tuna oil from tuna tins and chicken nuggets:)

Moreover, I'll be doing HIIT sessions every couple days (2-3 times a week) and will be burning around 2-300 calories each session in addition to weight training five days a week.

Alright guys, let me have it what do you think?! Good, bad or any improvements or changes you'd personally make?

Last thing, I'm eating roughly 311g of chicken breast for lunch which has 75g of protein; is most of that being wasted because it's too much?

Your body doesn't waste protein or any nutrient.

Also, what are you doing for a lifting program? Have you followed a structured plan before? And what are you considering HIIT?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I'll be doing HIIT sessions every couple days (2-3 times a week) and will be burning around 2-300 calories each session in addition to weight training five days a week.

Which program are you following for weight training? I'm an advocate for starting strength or stronglifts, which requires 3 days a week. Weight training will be critical to losing fat because it will help you retain more muscle, so the deficit will draw more from fat stores.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

My diet is:

Diet looks good to me. Macros are pretty good. Although I suspect you might have to up calorie intake by a couple of hundred kcal once lifting gets intense. You are young, and tall. I think your daily NEAT should be over 2700, most likely near 3000kcal a day. 2200kcal gross intake less cardio/lifting will put you below 2000kcal. Too aggressive a deficit imo.

I don't think HIIT and compound lifting programme work well together. The need for recovery after intense lifting is real.
    Imo, go for a compound movement lifting programme (like SS or SL5x5) and do low intensity cardio (walking) instead of HIIT
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    misnomer1 wrote: »

My diet is:

Diet looks good to me. Macros are pretty good. Although I suspect you might have to up calorie intake by a couple of hundred kcal once lifting gets intense.
    I don't think HIIT and compound lifting programme work well together. The need for recovery after intense lifting is real.
    Imo, go for a compound movement lifting programme (like SS or SL5x5) and do low intensity cardio (walking) instead of HIIT

Agree on all counts. Good Macro breakdown. HIIT and weight training both impact CNS. Usually not recommended being done together for recovery reasons. And as psulemon asked, what are you considering HIIT? And what are your specific goals?

A key thing to keep in mind is the recovery part of the cycle is just as important as the work part of the cycle. Lifting 5 days and HIIT 3 days risks overtraining even at 20 years old. Think about maybe lifting with a good structured program 3 or 4 times per week and lower impact cardio on the other days.
  • misnomer1
    Options
    It sounds pretty strict and boring to me - not very unbalanced macro wise ("the Zone diet"), although I'd personally allow more fat (I do, and I eat fewer calories than you) and set a more moderate protein goal - but I would definitely vary that food intake, eat and enjoy all the delicious and nutritious foods out there.

There's no reason to single out sugar, and almost impossible to single out refined sugar - white sugar is made from plants, and some sugar additives are called "natural" just because they're not the white powder you're used to call sugar, and your body treats all sugar the same way, regardless of source. What you need is a nutritious and balanced diet, which you will get if you eat a variety of foods from all the food groups every day, and different foods through the day and from day to day.

You could eat a pure protein diet if you wanted, it's not difficult in theory, just in practice. But 311 grams of chicken breast in one meal sounds excessive (if it's a recurring event), as in boring and expensive and potentially crowding out other essential and yummy food sources.

yeah. this as well.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Boring? His selections maybe? They certainly don't need to be limited to those items.
    My macro breakdown and cals are almost identical and I can assure you my diet is anything but boring! Maybe a little strict as my priority is lean body mass while in deficit. So, my priority is protein first. My diary is open should anyone want to take a look.

Agree that sugar doesn't need any focus at all.
  • Ayo_s97
    Ayo_s97 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    I'll be doing HIIT sessions every couple days (2-3 times a week) and will be burning around 2-300 calories each session in addition to weight training five days a week.

Which program are you following for weight training? I'm an advocate for starting strength or stronglifts, which requires 3 days a week. Weight training will be critical to losing fat because it will help you retain more muscle, so the deficit will draw more from fat stores.

Hey, my plan is to hit gym five times a week with weights and HIIT cardio three times a week. In the form of legs/abs, chest/cardio, back/abs, weights rest day/cardio, shoulders/abs, arms/cardio.

Sound good, any thoughts?
  • Ayo_s97
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    311 grams of chicken is a very specific amount of chicken. How did you come up with that?

I've bought a food scale, and a chicken breast roughly seems to always add up to that figure haha!!
  • Ayo_s97
    Options

My diet is:

Diet looks good to me. Macros are pretty good. Although I suspect you might have to up calorie intake by a couple of hundred kcal once lifting gets intense. You are young, and tall. I think your daily NEAT should be over 2700, most likely near 3000kcal a day. 2200kcal gross intake less cardio/lifting will put you below 2000kcal. Too aggressive a deficit imo.

Hey thanks for the reply, what do you think of me hitting HIIT twice a week instead?
  • Ayo_s97
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys! Love lovee :)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    leggup wrote: »

Hey, my plan is to hit gym five times a week with weights and HIIT cardio three times a week. In the form of legs/abs, chest/cardio, back/abs, weights rest day/cardio, shoulders/abs, arms/cardio.

Sound good, any thoughts?

Sounds like an ineffective bro-split. You are better off gettting on a well structured beginner routine. And then work conditioning on your non lifting days.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Magnum_Opus
    Magnum_Opus Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Calories seem a bit low for that output. Try this https://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/. Also don't nd so restrictive and "bro" with your food selections.
  • Ayo_s97
    Options
    Calories seem a bit low for that output. Try this https://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/. Also don't nd so restrictive and "bro" with your food selections.

huh
  • misnomer1
    edited December 2017
    Options

My diet is:

Hey thanks for the reply, what do you think of me hitting HIIT twice a week instead?

I dont know. Your body will tell you if you are lacking recovery because of HIIT.

Also, i dont like your lifting programme if you are a beginner. Go for compound fully body 3 days a week programmes for 3-6 months to build functional strength first. Look at starting strength, stronglifts, greyskull lp, etc.
    Browse through the list provided in a link above by @psuLemon

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

My diet is:

I dont know. Your body will tell you if you are lacking recovery because of HIIT.

Also, i dont like your lifting programme if you are a beginner. Go for compound fully body 3 days a week programmes for 3-6 months to build functional strength first. Look at starting strength, stronglifts, greyskull lp, etc.

It may take a while for his body to tell him he's lacking recovery, especially since he's young and motivated.

Probably a better idea is to just work in 30-45 minutes of LISS or MISS. 3 days a week
  • psuLemon
    Options

My diet is:

It may take a while for his body to tell him he's lacking recovery, especially since he's young and motivated.

Probably a better idea is to just work in 30-45 minutes of LISS or MISS. 3 days a week

I actually suspect it's not true HIIT. I was thinking it's more conditioning work since I rarely know anyone who does legit HIIT.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

My diet is:

I actually suspect it's not true HIIT. I was thinking it's more conditioning work since I rarely know anyone who does legit HIIT.

No doubt you're right.