Protein Goal Woes

Options
Full disclosure: I am pescetarian - I eat fish but no other meat.

How do people reach their protein goal!? I thought I did pretty well yesterday eating lots of plant-based proteins, but I'm still barely halfway there.

I've recently started again after a month of no logging, but even when I logged every day and tried to meet the goal, I always end up too low, or way over on fat/calories if I did make it.

Is there any advice you would give someone who's struggling to get enough protein in their diet?

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Do you eat egg whites as well? They have excellent protein if you skip the yolk.
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    Hemp Protein powder.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    What about dairy - yoghurt, milk, cheese etc. (yoghurt in particular is a great source, especially if you get one of the higher protein ones)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Do you eat eggs and dairy? Fish is fine, you don't need meat for protein; it can be hard to get in enough iron, but not protein. Vegetarian protein sources are beans and grains. You don't need to eat back exercise calories in the form of protein, and it's calories you're supposed to not exceed, not fat - if your goal is weight loss.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    What is your protein goal?
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    What's your protein goal?

Most protein bars are around 20g of protein. A can of tuna is 32g of protein. That already puts you at 52g then it's fairly easy to make up the rest in nuts, seeds, legumes, beans, rice, oatmeal...

Edamame is one of my fave high-protein veggie snacks.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Maybe you've set your protein goal too high? The normal, average height and weight woman, only 'needs' about 50 grams a day. Most people go for more ... Myself ... I try to get a range in from 72 to 90 grams a day. My average for 2017 is 86 grams. I am not any sort of vegetarian, but still have completely vegetarian meals as part of my meal routine.

Do you eat legumes and pulses? Do you add protein powder into any of recipes? Do you include dairy products, or is that considered meat? ... cause there is a lot of protein in ricotta cheese and yogurt.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    Maybe you've set your protein goal too high? The normal, average height and weight woman, only 'needs' about 50 grams a day. Most people go for more ... Myself ... I try to get a range in from 72 to 90 grams a day. My average for 2017 is 86 grams. I am not any sort of vegetarian, but still have completely vegetarian meals as part of my meal routine.

Do you eat legumes and pulses? Do you add protein powder into any of recipes? Do you include dairy products, or is that considered meat? ... cause there is a lot of protein in ricotta cheese and yogurt.

That 50ish grams you are quoting is more sedentary women that are eating maintenance cals. if you are tying to lose weight and are active or workout your protein needs are much higher.
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

That 50ish grams you are quoting is more sedentary women that are eating maintenance cals. if you are tying to lose weight and are active or workout your protein needs are much higher.

.8-1 per pound of body weight is a good reference
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    heytimsla wrote: »

That should be for lean mass, no need to get that much for total body weight. I do suggest setting a minimum of 0.8 grams per lb of goal weight, as most people don't know their BF%

OP, one reason you are probably having trouble is that you are 400-600 cals under your calorie goal (the few days I checked anyway).
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    If you eat dairy: Low fat cottage cheese; greek yogurt; protein shakes with milk;protein enriched granola, oatmeal, etc.; eggs; 21 grain breads have 5 or six grams of protein and the same fibre. I was not losing weight and went to nutrition classes. I needed to increase my calories and my protein to reach my level of activity. I have been steadily losing. I do not always eat enough calories, but try to make the protein.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    heytimsla wrote: »

I hope you are referring to LEAN body weight ... because your recommendation is for close to 200 grams of protein for someone weight in at about 230 pounds .... might be OK for a heavy weight lifting big man, or a football player, or a ditch digger ... but not for a person who does 1 hour a week of exercise on the weekend and counts every step they take to make certain they are getting in their 10K steps a day. Even at 150 pounds, that recommendation comes in at 120 grams of protein ... and if I ate that much protein in a day I'd be up all night with gout-like pain in my toes and fingers. :smile:
  • amelisegb
    amelisegb Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the replies!
    J72FIT wrote: »

My protein goal (I think the MFP default) is 70g/day. I eat dairy and eggs, but I live with my mom who is lactose intolerant, so we don't really keep milk or yogurt around the house. Cheese is delish but has such a large fat/protein ratio I use up tons of my calories on it.

I think my problem is my "construction" of meals might be too carb heavy? lots of grains and veggies but eggs and dairy very rarely.

Legumes, beans, and nuts are how I get the majority of my protein now but obviously my current strategy isn't cutting it!

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat, eggs, or dairy. I found it challenging at first to get sufficient protein while calorie restricting. I began building my meals around my higher-quality protein sources first (for me, beans, tofu, tempeh, and seitan, sometimes some protein powder) and then adding other stuff. Like you, my natural impulse was to eat a lot of grains and vegetables -- considering the protein first and then adding the grains and vegetables helped me a lot.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    amelisegb wrote: »
    Thanks all for the replies!
    J72FIT wrote: »

My protein goal (I think the MFP default) is 70g/day. I eat dairy and eggs, but I live with my mom who is lactose intolerant, so we don't really keep milk or yogurt around the house. Cheese is delish but has such a large fat/protein ratio I use up tons of my calories on it.

I think my problem is my "construction" of meals might be too carb heavy? lots of grains and veggies but eggs and dairy very rarely.

Legumes, beans, and nuts are how I get the majority of my protein now but obviously my current strategy isn't cutting it!

a typical lunch for me is (and I think this would work for you) 2 cups of peas, 1 can of seafood (tuna, octopus, oysters, salmon... ) and a piece of bread. Fair amount of protein.

I also do a green smoothie with egg whites and cashew milk.

greek yogurt is good for the lactose intolerant I believe. Fage 2%, 20 grams of protein.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    To everyone above.. I've heard .8-1 g protein minimum per kg of body weight. So for me that's 57-72 g for a 160 lb woman. MFP recommends I get 81 g. Close enough! I generally come in at 50-60 g and I'm a vegetarian (no meat, no fish, yes eggs, yes dairy).

My biggest sources of protein are black bean burgers (morningstar), fake chicken (morningstar), fake beef/fish (gardein), indian bean based dishes (tastybite), nuts (almonds, pistachios, walnuts mostly), hummus, tofu, soy milk, eggs (hard boiled, in a quiche, fried). Google around. There are also loads of surprise things like spinach that really pack a protein punch when you eat enough volume.
  • nic_27_grassisgreener
    Options
    OP, I feel you! I recently became conscious of my low-ish protein consumption. I'm trying now to hit about 90 grams on days that I lift weights (about .8 gram per pound of lean body weight). I can only do it if I drink a protein shake made with milk, Greek yogurt as a snack, and being very conscious of my other meals.
  • Spartan_Gingi
    Spartan_Gingi Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is the only way I meet my protein goals. I am following the keto path though, so my needs may be higher than yours. I use Only Protein and I've liked it. Designer Whey's been a good one for me too.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    OP are you active?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Eggs, lentils, canned tuna and salmon, soy beans/soy milk/tofu, peas, protein powder. Also as someone else mentioned, all the lactose intolerant folks I know can eat Greek yogurt, so might be worth considering too. There are also some bread products out there with protein added (like Thomas English Muffins has a "higher protein" option) that you might want to keep an eye out for.

There are a lot of differing opinions on protein goals, but I think 70g is a nice happy medium goal for you. More than the RDA (which is the bare minimum and probably low for someone trying to lose weight) but lower than other numbers that might seem out of reach right now. :)