Heavy Lifting Women

Options
Hi All,

I'm new to weight lifting - I've only been doing it for the past 2 months - and I'm really enjoying it and I feel like I'm making good progress and getting better at lifting heavier weight.

I've read loads of blogs and articles about how lifting heavy weight will not automatically make you bulky - of course it takes a lot of hard work to get a body builders body - but I'm still paranoid that if I keep lifting heavier I'm going to get big bulky arms etc.

Is there anyone out there who could alleviate my paranoia!? And heavy lifting ladies out there who have stayed nice and slim???

Thanks in advance :-D

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting for over 3 years, I wouldn't say I'm bulky, but more curvy and lean...however, I have also bulked several times so my slightly thicker size is actually due to eating in a surplus and lifting.

You can either try it out, or continue to be paranoid. The thing is once you realize the positive changes in your body weight lifting can bring, feeling strong and awesome, those fears of being bulky (for many women at least) tend to go out the window.
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    Also takes chemical enhancement to get to IBBF female body builder big and a literal full time job of getting jacked.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    as others have said, you are not going to get bulky accidentally and certainly not overnight.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    You WON'T! We don't have the testosterone required to get bulky the way men do. You'll get toned and lean and your arms and shoulders will look fabulous!
  • OHammykins
    OHammykins Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the reassurance - @heytimsla I actually laughed out loud at your "before" and "after" pics.
    Blogs and articles are all well and good but it helps hearing from "real" people :smiley:

I'm definitely going to stick with it, I'm loving the feeling of getting stronger.

Thanks all!!
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    HamOrla wrote: »
    Thank you for the reassurance - @heytimsla I actually laughed out loud at your "before" and "after" pics.
    Blogs and articles are all well and good but it helps hearing from "real" people :smiley:

I'm definitely going to stick with it, I'm loving the feeling of getting stronger.

Thanks all!!

It's actually a video of you click it haha
  • plaidshirtgirl
    plaidshirtgirl Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I work with a personal trainer and I highly recommend you to get one
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    You will not get bulky, strong yes! Everyone responds to weight training differently.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I looked "bulkier" when I was fat. Now, I'm built.
  • Superkwing83
    Superkwing83 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It's all a mental game with yourself. I completely understand where you're coming from as I felt my arms were getting "thick" but I was building muscle then the top layer of excess fat started to shed and the definition happened..BOOM! POW! BAM! Be consistent and dedicated, trust the process and the results will come.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for about 3 yrs now, with some breaks. I was 110 size zero (too slim imho) when I started and about 116 size 0-2(mostly 2) or xs now. I am "bulking" but still slim and my arms are pretty small.
  • megan_elizabeth8
    megan_elizabeth8 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I’ve been lifting heavy for over 2 years. Trust us, it won’t happen accidentally.