How fast do you run the Couch to 5k?

Options
MFPfriend
MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
I personally run it at 6 mph at an incline of 1.0. My goal is to be able to run a 5k in 31 minutes or under, that's why I'm following the 6mph. And when I do run the 5k, it's going to be an outdoor 5k, so I try to keep some incline so it's somewhat similar to running outside (once the weather cools down, I'll be running outside).
But I know some people who run in at 4.5, or 5, or 5.5 with no incline. These people say they'd rather work on just getting the time down first, and THEN work on speed.

So what do you do? How fast do you run it? And how is that working for you? I'm open to everybody's suggestions. :)

Replies

• JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 4, takes me 31 minutes to complete it. I run outdoors. :)
  • funayman
    funayman Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I run at 6 and try to increase the speed a little when I can

And i'll walk at 3.5 - 4ish
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I'm working on endurance, speed comes later. So right now I run on the treadmill at 1.0 incline at 4.2 mph (about 12:38 a mile LOL). I have NEVER run before this, I just finished W7D1 yesterday.

I can run faster, but not for 20 min, so it's more important to do the time first then up the speed. When I'm outside and not on the treadmill I have a harder time going slow and then I burn out, so the treadmill helps me keep my pace steady so that I can reach my goal of FINISHING first, then I know speed will come.

If you can do it at the speed you're at now then keep doing it, if you find you suddenly have issues going for the amount of time you're supposed to then drop your speed down. I did 5.0 mph through week 4 but couldn't sustain that speed for the longer durations so I changed.
  • tdwhalley
    tdwhalley Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I concentrated on just doing the programme at a speed that was comfortable to me. At the point that I was doing the longer unbroken distance runs (10 minute plus) I found I settled very quickly into a 6mph pace. I continued that on through c25k and b210k. It's only now I can confidently run for 10k that I'm looking at increasing my pace beyond 6mph in 5k runs.

Putting a pair of trainers on and going outside and running is the best decision I ever made when it came to my own fitness. Keep it going, c25k is awesome and it works!
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My goal with my first 5K was just to finish it. My first 5K I finished in less then 30 minutes. Last time I timed myself...it took 26 or 27 minutes. I usually run a 10K in about an hour. 6 mph is a good pace to keep. Remember that it's a LOT harder to run outside then it is on a tredmill.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I started at 5mph in December, and crept up to 6mph after I had the distance down. My first 5k was in 29:42 in March, and my 2nd in 27:56 in April. I find it much easier to run outside. I haven't been in any races in a long time, though. It's either been too hot to want to compete, or they've been canceled. :frown:
  • shawn_chas102304
    Options
    I finished c25k last week. I run on the treadmill at around 4mph but outside I run closer to 5mph. For me being able to keep the same pace was more important than speed. I started at only 3.5mph running but built up to a little faster. I always used the incline at 1%. I am now running outside only until my first 5k on Sept 10th. My goal is to finish in under 45 minutes. I am over weight and out of shape. Never ran a day in my life. Finishing is what I'll be most proud of!!!
  • rat70
    rat70 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I ran very slowly (outside) - maybe around 9min/km at times just so I could finish without walking. I didn't know I could run that slow!!! Now I'm finished I've extended my time once a week so I complete the 5k distance and I'm working on improving my speed. First 5k distance I did in 40mins. This week I did it in 38mins. I am aiming for 30mins - although I have no idea when I will manage that! The advice I have had is to cover the distance then work on improving speed. Good luck with it!
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I started at 6mph but have found that I need to slow it back to about 5.8 mph for the 5+ minute runs (I am just starting week 5). I also use a 1% incline. I've only tried to run outside once, but it was in 35+C heat, at around 11am...not the smartest decision, I'll admit. It was rough.

My walking speed is usually about 3.8-4.0 mph, depending on how exhausted the run got me.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    my fastest 5k time is 24:19.
    i did C25K for a day to try to improve my time, but i hated it.
    when I do speed training (basically my won version of C25K) I have tredmill between 7.2 and 8.0 =] !
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    Ive always run outside so not sure what pace etc. Although run keeper reckons between 6-7 km per hr. First time I did a 5k it was 31 mins,i run them 2-3 times a week and my timing is under 29mins
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    When I did c25k I was running about a 9:50 minute mile (outside). I finished the program in June and ran my first 5k in 24:10. My training runs are now at 8:50-9:30 minute miles.