Protein cookie...save your $

Options
"Protein added" foods are often misleading. Let's compare Lenny&Larry's with Chips Ahoy.

Lenny&Larry's
1 Cookie
400 calories
12 fat
68 carbs
16 protein
Total cost: $2.00

Chips Ahoy
7 1/2 Cookies
400 calories
20 fat
55 carbs
2.5 protein
Total Cost: $0.20

Sure, the L&L cookie is lower fat and higher protein but 13.5g of protein isn't significant. Hey, if you like them and you can afford them, by all means eat them. Personally, I'd rather save my money and eat a cookie that tastes better.

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Tried L&L once. Not a fan. Thanks for the breakdown though!
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of Lenny and Larry. I find the 400 calories from their cookie to be far more filling and better tasting than anything found on the traditional cookie aisle (except Oreos).
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    My Protein has a protein cookie that contains 37.5g protein in 320 cals

Normally costs $24.99 for a box of 12 ($2.08@) but currently on sale for 30% off ($17.79/box or $1.46@) .

A good price it you're looking for something like them. Lots of positive reviews.

See: https://m.us.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/protein-cookie/11027529.html?variation=11027537

Would be a pretty good alternative to a breakfast protein shake or as mid-day snack w/the beverage of your choice.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Is your chips ahoy $$ math right? Not $2 but surely more than $0.20?

Not a huge difference, but I got $0.54 for the 7 cookies of the original (13 oz box). So you pay a buck fifty more for the protein cookie.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    [
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I get where you are coming from. I've often thought about the comparison between protein bars and a candy bar like snickers. However, 13.5 grams of protein IS significant to those who struggle to meet their minimum daily requirement.

this.
    (although 16 grams protein per 400 calories of protein-added food item is still kind of meh at $2 per..but it is definitely significant).
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I was so disappointed the first time I ate a protein cookie, it made me so sad.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of Lenny and Larry. I find the 400 calories from their cookie to be far more filling and better tasting than anything found on the traditional cookie aisle (except Oreos).

If you like it and can afford it, I'm not trying to take your happiness! I've just found some people are under the impression they're vastly healthier than regular cookies...
  • joemac1988
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I get where you are coming from. I've often thought about the comparison between protein bars and a candy bar like snickers. However, 13.5 grams of protein IS significant to those who struggle to meet their minimum daily requirement.

True. I eat 225g per day so for ME, 13.5g is a minor percentage and it would be cheaper and more protein to have the Chips Ahoy and a scoop of whey.
  • joemac1988
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    Is your chips ahoy $$ math right? Not $2 but surely more than $0.20?

Not a huge difference, but I got $0.54 for the 7 cookies of the original (13 oz box). So you pay a buck fifty more for the protein cookie.

Honestly, I don't have a sweet tooth so I don't eat either option lol. I based that math on a family pack off walmart.com
  • consumone
    consumone Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I make my own. I have to have one a day or else I feel like I am getting cheated, I love my chocolate!
  • Nathy_F
    Nathy_F Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    "Protein added" foods are often misleading. Let's compare Lenny&Larry's with Chips Ahoy.

Lenny&Larry's
    1 Cookie
    400 calories
    12 fat
    68 carbs
    16 protein
    Total cost: $2.00

Chips Ahoy
    7 1/2 Cookies
    400 calories
    20 fat
    55 carbs
    2.5 protein
    Total Cost: $0.20

Sure, the L&L cookie is lower fat and higher protein but 13.5g of protein isn't significant. Hey, if you like them and you can afford them, by all means eat them. Personally, I'd rather save my money and eat a cookie that tastes better.

I'll take the chips ahoy too
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Lenny and Larry white choc macadamia nut and that 16 grams of protein will def put a dent in meeting my protein goal. I like to make my own though, I can make them much higher in protein and cheaper.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised by how high the carbs are. I'm diabetic, and I can just about manage 50g of carb at a time, but not 70 - How did they manage this? When you add the three macros it comes to 77.5g for the Chips Ahoy and almost a hundred for the L&L. Usually high protein products are a little lower carb because some of the carbs have been replaced by protein, but not in this case.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    My Protein has a protein cookie that contains 37.5g protein in 320 cals

Normally costs $24.99 for a box of 12 ($2.08@) but currently on sale for 30% off ($17.79/box or $1.46@) .

A good price it you're looking for something like them. Lots of positive reviews.

See: https://m.us.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/protein-cookie/11027529.html?variation=11027537

Would be a pretty good alternative to a breakfast protein shake or as mid-day snack w/the beverage of your choice.

Just bought them so thanks! with promo code makes them $14.63 a box so $1.21 a bar.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you have time, www.theproteinchef.co has a few good protein microwave cookies.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Chips Ahoy? EWWWW. I'd take L&L (which I really don't care much for except for a couple flavors) any day over Chip Ahoy, even if they had no protein...

That being said, 13g of protein IS pretty significant. But I don't find them filling one bit (most 'protein' version of regular foods are just not more filling to me).
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I like L&J.. The Snickerdoodle ones are pretty good.. 16g protein and 360 calories. For me these work, even half the cookie is satisfying. Just not a fan of Chips A Hoy and when I have time I bake my own as well.
  • joemac1988
    Options
    I'm surprised by how high the carbs are. I'm diabetic, and I can just about manage 50g of carb at a time, but not 70 - How did they manage this? When you add the three macros it comes to 77.5g for the Chips Ahoy and almost a hundred for the L&L. Usually high protein products are a little lower carb because some of the carbs have been replaced by protein, but not in this case.

What do you mean by "add the three macros"?